Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LiveLaughFart

How Do You Cook Vegetables?

Deep fry them. Tempura!

...jk jk. My favourite easy/delicious/filling veggie dish is a ratatouille - you can always adjust the recipe for your dietary needs. I also quite like stir-frying veggies in chicken broth rather than any type of oil and using garlic instead of any type of salt for flavouring. Oh, and I sometimes boil spinach for less than five minutes and then eat it with a sesame (gomaae) sauce, though you do need soy for that. I'm also a huge mushrooms fiend, so I garnish a lot of dishes with grilled mushrooms and the like. I no longer do this, but I also used to make a lot of omelettes filled with mushrooms and bell peppers for breakfast and the result was always totally delicious.

Most of the time though, I just keep a bowl of raw celery around for a snack, or if I'm feeling fancy, whip up a homemade vinaigrette salad. I made one tonight consisting of organic mixed greens, unsweetened dried cranberries, organic chopped almonds, raspberries, and avocado. Then I blended a vinaigrette using extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, just a dash of honey, minced garlic (just 1 clove), a squeeze of lemon, freshly ground pepper, and oregano. I know you were asking for cooked veggie recipes, but this salad was so yummy I just had to share.

Saute, with butter! Usually I will cook the saute the veggies for a meat course, steak, chicken, so everything comes together full harmony. I usually go for onions, red/green bell peppers, garlic and green onions, snap peas, water crests. The trick to learning the order of frying things, they shouldn't all be sauted at the same time.

1. get 1 tablespoon butter hot in pan

2. place minced garlic in hot pan, add in green onion 15 seconds after the garlic (30 seconds until aromatic)

3. place green peppers in (1 minute, reduce until water leaches)

4. place red peppers in (45 seconds)

5. place snap peas and water crests in (2 minutes)

6. seasoning it optional, cracked sea salt and cracked pepper

total cook time = 4 minutes 15 seconds

If you enjoy steak I have a very easy Chinese style dish that is very tasty, using the same above method.

Start out:

1. cut steak into 1 inch cubes (best to cut against the grain), season with cracked sea salt and cracked pepper before cutting

2. get pan hot (7) and 2 tablespoons of butter melted in pan

3. cook steak for 5 minutes on both sides, just before done, take out of pan and let it rest

4. follow the instructions above for the veggies

5. Place the steak back into the pan

6. Add 1 tablespoon or soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of worchester sauce

7. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar (could be less if you wanted it to be, or none at all), this caramelizes the steak beautifully

8. stir until till you get sick of smelling the yummyness (1 minute)

total cook time 10 minutes 15 seconds

optional serve over a bed of rice

Edited by steven m jacobson

Little water, little butter (especially with baby carrots mmmm), cover until they look tender.

But usually with the butter I'll put chopped garlic and onion (which I'm becoming very fond of), maybe some cumin, fenugreek, coriander, or savory in there. Then sprinkle powdered ginger midway through on the veggies.

My favorites:

steam broccoli and top with butter and garlic salt.

saute baby spinach in butter, shallots and garlic salt.

marinate mushrooms and zucchini in italian dressing and grill.

Green beans with onions, butter, little water, garlic and sea salt, cover with lid and let them steam.

Bake butternut squash with coconut oil and curry type spices.

Roast cauliflower, shallots with coconut oil and curry type spices.

The only thing I really enjoy turmeric with is curry dishes (which I don't make too often even though we have tons of curry powder here that never gets used) and SWEET POTATOES. With cinnamon. Mmmm.

The only thing I really enjoy turmeric with is curry dishes (which I don't make too often even though we have tons of curry powder here that never gets used) and SWEET POTATOES. With cinnamon. Mmmm.

Sweet potatoes and candied yams are my favs, forgot about those!

sweet potatoes and yams unfortunately break me out. But I like the idea of steaming with butter (ghee)...idk if spices affect acne so im just going to avoid it.

Yumm steamed brocolli sounds good. Just trying to find a replacement for SOY SAUCE :(((((

Deep fry them. Tempura!

...jk jk. My favourite easy/delicious/filling veggie dish is a ratatouille - you can always adjust the recipe for your dietary needs. I also quite like stir-frying veggies in chicken broth rather than any type of oil and using garlic instead of any type of salt for flavouring. Oh, and I sometimes boil spinach for less than five minutes and then eat it with a sesame (gomaae) sauce, though you do need soy for that. I'm also a huge mushrooms fiend, so I garnish a lot of dishes with grilled mushrooms and the like. I no longer do this, but I also used to make a lot of omelettes filled with mushrooms and bell peppers for breakfast and the result was always totally delicious.

Most of the time though, I just keep a bowl of raw celery around for a snack, or if I'm feeling fancy, whip up a homemade vinaigrette salad. I made one tonight consisting of organic mixed greens, unsweetened dried cranberries, organic chopped almonds, raspberries, and avocado. Then I blended a vinaigrette using extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, just a dash of honey, minced garlic (just 1 clove), a squeeze of lemon, freshly ground pepper, and oregano. I know you were asking for cooked veggie recipes, but this salad was so yummy I just had to share.

Omg sounds sooooooo good! I'm gonna make this tomorrow! You're awesome!

Go for pure, organic spices. And test them one at a time, so you can see. Never buy stuff like Mrs. Dash or whatever it's called, those mixes often have additives or even mSG which would be very bad for acne. But not the actual spice.

My favorite way, and to my understanding, also the healthiest way, is to cook them in soups on low heat. I like to blend up leafy greens with either broth or a can of diced tomatoes (you get four times the nutrients when you blend your food, and greens are amazing for your skin), pour this into a pot, add in some beans, frozen or fresh veggies, maybe some brown rice, spices and maybe a little Vegenaise for a creamy flavor. Sometimes I'll throw in a little turkey as well. Yummy and nutritious. :)

Reading these recipes makes me realize how restrictive my diet actually is hahaa..

But thankfully I am buying a steamer tommorrow and quality meat, and I already have the vegetables...and a lot of spices.

I'm going to bake the chicken with orange juice and a bunch of herbs, and on the side I'm going to have steamed veggies with ghee and spices on top. Hopefully it turns out well, cooking from scratch is more difficult than putting a sandwhich together or making cereal.

Go for pure, organic spices. And test them one at a time, so you can see. Never buy stuff like Mrs. Dash or whatever it's called, those mixes often have additives or even mSG which would be very bad for acne. But not the actual spice.

Basically, I only eat vegetables two ways: raw, or ROASTED. You have to try roasting vegetables--it makes them taste INSANELY good. You can basically roast anything... I love broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, turnip, parsnip, beets, summer squash, zucchini, winter squashes, bell peppers, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, okra, and even hardy greens like kale (they get crispy like chips!)... EVERYTHING tastes good when its roasted!!

Its really easy, too. No spices needed, because roasting them makes the vegetables taste amazing by themselves. Just spray a cookie sheet with olive oil, throw your veggies on it (you can lightly steam the hardier vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, squashes, etc beforehand so they don't take as long to roast), give them a quick spray with the olive oil (makes them get crispy on the edges!), and throw them in the oven at 400*F for 30-40 minutes. That's it! So simple, so easy, so good. Literally, roasted vegetables are my favorite food. <3333

Basically, I only eat vegetables two ways: raw, or ROASTED. You have to try roasting vegetables--it makes them taste INSANELY good. You can basically roast anything... I love broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, turnip, parsnip, beets, summer squash, zucchini, winter squashes, bell peppers, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, okra, and even hardy greens like kale (they get crispy like chips!)... EVERYTHING tastes good when its roasted!!

Its really easy, too. No spices needed, because roasting them makes the vegetables taste amazing by themselves. Just spray a cookie sheet with olive oil, throw your veggies on it (you can lightly steam the hardier vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, squashes, etc beforehand so they don't take as long to roast), give them a quick spray with the olive oil (makes them get crispy on the edges!), and throw them in the oven at 400*F for 30-40 minutes. That's it! So simple, so easy, so good. Literally, roasted vegetables are my favorite food. <3333

thanks i will try it. Btw, do you know how to roast squash?? I have a squash in my house that I have no idea how to cook it, when i put it in the oven it just burns and thats it!

I also bought some freeze-dried fruit that taste sooo amazingg. They were expensive though./

thanks i will try it. Btw, do you know how to roast squash?? I have a squash in my house that I have no idea how to cook it, when i put it in the oven it just burns and thats it!

I also bought some freeze-dried fruit that taste sooo amazingg. They were expensive though./

I personally cut my squash into little hexagon shapes, maybe several centimeters thick, and 1 or 2 inches wide. I use butter and saute them over the stove top. I usually do candied squash and candy it with brown sugar (you can also add marshmellow). Just saute it until it is a nice soft consistency, not that long. You can leave the top on and let it steam and saute at the same time.

I personally cut my squash into little hexagon shapes, maybe several centimeters thick, and 1 or 2 inches wide. I use butter and saute them over the stove top. I usually do candied squash and candy it with brown sugar (you can also add marshmellow). Just saute it until it is a nice soft consistency, not that long. You can leave the top on and let it steam and saute at the same time.

You still eat sugar?

Sounds good, last time I cooked it I just put the whole thing in the oven w/o chopping it up..and didn't even put any butter on itt, now I think I know what I did wrong.

You still eat sugar?

Sounds good, last time I cooked it I just put the whole thing in the oven w/o chopping it up..and didn't even put any butter on itt, now I think I know what I did wrong.

Oh yes, I still eat sugar, not all sugars are bad for the body (I have no issues with sugar causing me acne nor other health issues, because I do not abuse it). I limit my refined sugar intake, I no longer drink soda (only when I drink I do, and that isn't an everyday thing). I just look at most food and think in moderation. I'm more worried about my cholestrol and teeth when it comes to sugar than I am about it messing with my skin, it simply was never an issue for me. Not saying it can't be for others, but you should google healthy sugars, they are out there and available, I would advise just reducing your refined sugar intake.

Edited by steven m jacobson

I DONT WANT TO START A NEW THREAD SO IF SOMEONE READS THIS:

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME IF IT'S OK TO COOK ORANGES? I soaked my chicken in orange juice & lemon juice & ghee (butter) & herbs/spices, and baked it in a pan with the orange juice mixture. It turned out amazing and so sweet.

But IS IT BAD TO COOK FRUIT? I've never cooked fruit before and wondering if it is ok/healthy for acne prone skin.

Thank you very much.

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME IF IT'S OK TO COOK ORANGES?

Yes! Marinating things in (freshly squeezed for flavour) orange juice is delicious. I do it all the time. My fav roast veggies are: juice of about half an orange in big bowl, add 1 T olive oil, salt and black pepper. Throw in veggies cut into quite small pieces and toss, onto baking sheet it goes and into the oven for...well, time really depends on how hot the oven is. A bit over an hour at 375F/175C useually does it.

Technically fruits are more nutritios when eaten raw, but cooking them won't make them UNhealthy (in my op. i understand if raw foodists disagree on that one).

I frequently use apples, pears, dried apricots, oranges, lemons, plums in cooking. They add sweetness and tang, lovley in stews and roasted.

Winter squash: Peel if you feel like it, I don't useually. Slice into 1/2" slices and roast in your oven at medium-low temperature (375) until they look golden, are soft and tender, juicy.

Summer squash: (courgette, zucchini and the likes) chop up, no need to peel, put in ratatouille, veg stew, stir fry, moussaka, salad. or just eat raw. It's quite watery so I don't like roasting it, but go ahead and try if you feel like it.

Also, you need to get into kale. Kale is what it's all about. Steam it, roast it (15 mins at 375 is useually enough), blanche it, stew it, have it raw, put it in stuffing: kale is your friend, healthiest of healthy and super delicious (esp w a little bit of coconut oil and salt).

for great recipes: http://www.101cookbooks.com This page has so many good vegetable recipes, and she's really good at writing very specific instructions so beginners feel comfortable. It's split into sections so you can browse by the name of the veg, your type of diet, what kind of meal you'd like et.c.

Last but not least: the two things you have to do in order to learn how to cook from scratch is TASTE and TRY. Whenever you cook, keep TASTING what you make, the more often the better - so you learn how things taste, what you like, what herbs you like more or less, how you like your food, what a veg looks like when it tastes "done". always TRY new things. Don't be afraid to switch around ingredients, herbs and whatnot to be creative. Find a cool recipe that has tofu in it? Just change the tofu for chicken, or squash, fish or whatever you feel like. You'll learn. Start reading cooking blogs, join cooking forums online (these 2 are so much cheaper than buying a lot of cookbooks) or check out cookbooks from the library. Cooking is soooooo much fun, super creative and when you know your way around the kitchen you know you can take care of yourself and others.

I cut out refined sugar completely...I don't really crave it since fruit is really sweet enough, esp. dried fruit

Yes fructose is great, fruits and honey can provide all the healthy sugar you need, however fruits are pretty acidic and not the best for enamel. Honey is a very good alternative, your blood needs to maintain a steady bloody sugar level, so make sure you are getting sugar on a daily basis.

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME IF IT'S OK TO COOK ORANGES?

Eating a cooked orange versus eating a raw orange has no large difference, other than the sweating out of some elements of the orange. If you really want to cook oranges I would highly suggest making a hot puree out of them to put on top of something.

I make chutney all the time with fruits, and it goes over most of my chicken entrees.

Here is but one orange chutney recipes, soo tasty:

http://foodiefightback.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/spiced-orange-chutney/

And now for the puree (best with desserts):

http://www.food.com/recipe/orange-puree-256341

Enjoy