Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
carmusen

Soy Products?

So I'm new to this "eat healthy" thing and the common thread I'm realizing is "to avoid dairy, eat raw foods and veggies and fruits, and drink water."

Where does soy products like soy products like soy milk, tofu, etc. fit into all this?

I've done my own research on soy and there's definitely a lot of controversy surrounding it. It's what most vegetarians and vegans rely on for a protein source, so telling them that it's a pretty toxic substance doesn't go over well with them. It does contain some nutrients, but with the sketchy history of it being approved by the FDA, along with other evidence about the toxins contained within them, i've concluded that soy is definitely something I don't want to eat. It doesn't aggravate my acne that bad, but that's because I hardly ate it even before I made dietary changes. I wouldn't be surprised if I continued to increase my consumption of soy that it would begin to make my acne worse.

Fermented soy products are probably the safest to eat, because the process of fermenting soy removes a lot of anti-nutrients. How effective it is, I don't know, but something to consider.

Soy really is a controversial one - even many dieticians/nutritionists disagree about its health benefits vs. risks. For what its worth, I'm Asian so I've grown up eating tons of soy and its definitely never been a problem for me. I think that soy in limited quantities, provided you don't have a soy allergy, is generally supposed to be good for you - but if you go soy everything, it can lead to many adverse health problems for a person. Everything in moderation, right?

How old are you? Sometimes the problems from foods like soy take years to develop. I wouldn't be so sure it isn't causing problems for you just because you've been eating it your whole life.