Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
carmusen

I'm Buying A $900 Treadmill! Worth It?

The treadmill's main purpose is so I can be more active and get my bodily juices flowing. It's also so I can sweat and relieve stress.

Will running on a treadmill everyday HELP FIGHT ACNE at all?

Depends, it may, it may not. I would consider other alternatives though. If you live somewhere where you can run outside, I would recommend that over any treadmill any day, just buy a nice pair of Saucony's, load up some sick beats on the mp3 and hit the sidewalks, trails, or parks. Running is a great way to relieve stress, I use to run more frequent than now (I work outside all day, I have no energy left for running). If you live somewhere that you feel isn't safe or the weather is snowy all the time, I would recommend getting a treadmill for those days where running outside isn't an option. Good luck and have fun, running isn't easy.

Treadmill, as opposed to running outside, because:

-it's snowy and the grounds are slippery

-I'm extremely shy. I can't even cross the street without feeling paranoid about the people in cars staring at my acne.

-Also, so I could watch some TV!

;-)

Buy a cheaper one from Craigslist or a friend who is using it as a coathanger. Check out used sports equipment stores. You do NOT need a new one.

I have an $800 treadmill we got about 6 years ago. I love it. I use it often. For those of us that have nasty winters, it's a great investment. It won't cure your acne though, but it will help your overall health if you use it regularly.

They're worth it if you're just not able to get out and run around the neighborhood. I understand that; sometimes it gets too late to safely go for a run, it rains, it's so windy that trees are hurling branches and sheets of corrugated iron around (I live in the windiest town in Australia, no joke...). $800 is a reasonable price for a new treadmill, but I'd definitely go with Wynne's advice, second hand treadmills are just as good. People also fork out a lot of money for fancier treadmills, but really, all you need is a functional, sturdy one with an incline - even if it's a manual one.

Just my two bob: if you're able to watch and concentrate on TV while you're running on a treadmill, you're not working hard enough. :lol:

-I'm extremely shy. I can't even cross the street without feeling paranoid about the people in cars staring at my acne.

Lmao me too!!!!! I feel like when I cross the street I am on a stage and all the cars that are three feet away waiting for the red light to pass are just drilling holes into my face with their eyes, staring.

Personally I'd spend the money on a gym membership and have access to a number of other health supporting things (other gym equipment, fun classes, saunas, etc) rather than spend all that money on ONE form of exercise. You know? The whole embarrassment thing is something I think you should try and get over, not give into. It will make you a stronger person to move past that...and being at the gym would help.

Yeah, you definitely don't want the treadmill. It's an abomination of what running really is & it's just way too easy in comparison as something to actually spend money for.

If you can't find a cardio-intensive exercise to do at home (which you can.. easily, without weights or equipment) then yes you should just get a gym membership. I'm sure your public anxiety is only worsening your acne and something you should work on getting over for your own health.

Exercise gave me pimples and I was working out pretty hard. I took a break and now my skin is recovering. Kind of irritating. My body is giving me a choice. Get fat or have acne.

I think the very best exercise you can do is rebounding (mini-trampoline). Google the benefits... it's amazing. It's also what astronauts do to help regain lost bone mass. It is the most efficient way to exercise (according to NASA), and it cleans your lymph system. Also, it puts a g-force on your body requiring every single muscle and cell in your body to get stronger. Plus, it's very low impact, and the bungee ones (Bellicon, JumpSport) are fun!!! I recommend Bellicon, JumpSport or the Cellerciser. You can get a JumpSport for about $250.

I recommend watching some of the videos at the Cellerciser website - the founder is in great shape, looks like he lifts weights (but he doesn't) and only uses his 10 minutes a day. Instead of a treadmill, you can run in place on the rebounder. I do this on my Bellicon, and I love the low impact - it's a little tough though - kind of like running in sand. The Cellerciser is easier to run in place on.

Also, you can do a few minutes here and there and get your exercise in pretty quickly if you're doing a tabata or HIIT type of workout. No need to have a long, draw out workout, and you will definitely start to sweat pretty quickly if you're doing a high intensity workout! Treadmills aren't the best for these types of workouts, because you don't have as much control over your speed. Anyway, there's so much you can do with a rebounder. I do have a treadmill, and they're great for walking at an incline, but if I had to choose just one piece of equipment, it would be the rebounder hands down!

Want the best, most awesome exercise of your life? Buy a hula hoop. Seriously.

I became a hoop dancer about a year ago and my body is perfect with such little effort. It doesn't even feel like a workout, just like your dancing and having fun. It's without a DOUBT a better workout than running.... no impact, FULL body (because you hoop around your chest, neck, arms, legs--not only your waist) AND you get to learn this crazy art that makes people stop and stare at you! smile.png

Oh--and my favorite hoop cost 20 bucks. Far cheaper and you can take it anywhere you go.

Edited by DejaClaireVoyant

I think the very best exercise you can do is rebounding (mini-trampoline). Google the benefits... it's amazing. It's also what astronauts do to help regain lost bone mass. It is the most efficient way to exercise (according to NASA), and it cleans your lymph system. Also, it puts a g-force on your body requiring every single muscle and cell in your body to get stronger. Plus, it's very low impact, and the bungee ones (Bellicon, JumpSport) are fun!!! I recommend Bellicon, JumpSport or the Cellerciser. You can get a JumpSport for about $250.

I recommend watching some of the videos at the Cellerciser website - the founder is in great shape, looks like he lifts weights (but he doesn't) and only uses his 10 minutes a day. Instead of a treadmill, you can run in place on the rebounder. I do this on my Bellicon, and I love the low impact - it's a little tough though - kind of like running in sand. The Cellerciser is easier to run in place on.

Also, you can do a few minutes here and there and get your exercise in pretty quickly if you're doing a tabata or HIIT type of workout. No need to have a long, draw out workout, and you will definitely start to sweat pretty quickly if you're doing a high intensity workout! Treadmills aren't the best for these types of workouts, because you don't have as much control over your speed. Anyway, there's so much you can do with a rebounder. I do have a treadmill, and they're great for walking at an incline, but if I had to choose just one piece of equipment, it would be the rebounder hands down!

I always read your posts in my head as a tinkly fairy voice. I didn't know trampolines were as awesome for your body as they are amusing, thanks for sharing! I'm about to fly home for a little bit here and my friend has a tramp at her parents'. So stoked.

I always read your posts in my head as a tinkly fairy voice. I didn't know trampolines were as awesome for your body as they are amusing, thanks for sharing! I'm about to fly home for a little bit here and my friend has a tramp at her parents'. So stoked.

Too funny about the fairy voice! ha! You are very welcome!!! :)

You can get a JumpSport for about $250.

Would you be able to recommend anything a bit cheaper? eusa_shifty.gif I iz a pour kollege stoodent.

I think they have a model that's about $200 - you might check eBay as well. Walmart sells cheap rebounders, but I don't recommend them, because I have heard of people getting nerve damage from extended use. They don't absorb enough impact from your jumps, which can be hard on your joints. I also don't recommend jump roping or anything like that unless done on a quality rebounder.

Want the best, most awesome exercise of your life? Buy a hula hoop. Seriously.

I became a hoop dancer about a year ago and my body is perfect with such little effort. It doesn't even feel like a workout, just like your dancing and having fun. It's without a DOUBT a better workout than running.... no impact, FULL body (because you hoop around your chest, neck, arms, legs--not only your waist) AND you get to learn this crazy art that makes people stop and stare at you! smile.png

Oh--and my favorite hoop cost 20 bucks. Far cheaper and you can take it anywhere you go.

Can't believe you mentioned hula hooping!!! I "just" started doing this, and it's super fun!!! I almost mentioned this, but I'm so new to it all still. And you're right, it doesn't feel like a workout at all. It's supposed to be awesome for your abs, and I believe it. Mine actually were sore the next day, which surprised me, because I hadn't felt like I worked them hard at all! Plus, for women, it's a safer way to work-out your abs than sit-ups and certain pilates movements that women shouldn't be doing.

I briefly googled and read about some of the benefits, and interestingly, it apparently helps with the third chakra, which can help with well-being, etc. I don't know much about chakras, and I'm not into any kind of new age thing, but I'm definitely a believer in energy flow of our bodies, which is based in science.

Hula hooping was really popular in the 50s. The first day I got mine, I put on 50s music and went to town. It was sooo much fun. l felt like a kid and felt super happy, alert and energetic after just a few minutes of hula hooping. It totally gave me an energy surge!! I try to do it a couple minutes here and there throughout the day - love it!

What hula hoop do you have? How much does yours weigh? I read that any over 2 lbs can possibly be dangerous, so I opted for a 1.5 lb one from Canyon Hoops. Mine was $40 with shipping. I think I could have saved $10, but theirs are really pretty, so it was worth the extra $10. :)

Do you use the Hoopnotica videos? Those look really cool - actually, I have their YouTube channel open to watch later, because I was thinking of ordering one! All I'm doing now is triwling it around my waist, and the hula hoop dancing looks like a lot of fun! What weight is your hula hoop?

Thanks for sharing this! :)

Can't believe you mentioned hula hooping!!! I "just" started doing this, and it's super fun!!!

Yay! Another hooper! I love finding them out there in the world. I've met hoopers in the randomest places and it's like this instant bond. :) I should have known the acne be gone fairy would be a hooper lol. I'm way into fairies too.

Plus, for women, it's a safer way to work-out your abs than sit-ups and certain pilates movements that women shouldn't be doing.

Oh yeah, sooo much better. It's really good for your back too. My whole core is super strong.

What hula hoop do you have? How much does yours weigh? I read that any over 2 lbs can possibly be dangerous, so I opted for a 1.5 lb one from Canyon Hoops. Mine was $40 with shipping. I think I could have saved $10, but theirs are really pretty, so it was worth the extra $10

I have two. One is a 33 inch polypro pink/red/purple taped that my friend made. I'm not sure the exact weight but being polypro and small it's very light--basically about as light as a hoop can get. This hoop is MY CHILD, lol. I love this thing. I actually started out by learning on this massive green hoop that weighed five pounds or something, lol. It was a monster. But never having hooped before I didn't know how good a light one could be and I needed to learn just basic stuff like keeping it up and vortexes. It was dangerous though, I whacked myself in the face with it a few times and almost lost teeth from it. I'm much happier now that I've gone smaller. My style is very quick with lots of tricks and isolations and reversals so smaller hoops work for me.

My other hoop is also my child. That is a 33 slow changing rainbow LED from Moodhoops. It's very thin and very very light. About the lightest I've ever seen an LED (they are usually heavier since the batteries and lights and stuff). This thing is boss, I love it so much. And I recommend their company for the great customer service, random hookups (they gave me free shipping and an extra battery). The name of the hoop I got is "sunrise" here's a link to a vid of it moving through its color pattern...

Sorry hopefully all of this isn't too off topic. It's exercise related, so maybe it'll help someone. Hooping changed my life.

Oh and no I've never really got into hoopnotica, but I'm aware of them as they make travel hoops. (never bought one but was thinking about it)

The treadmill's main purpose is so I can be more active and get my bodily juices flowing. It's also so I can sweat and relieve stress.

Will running on a treadmill everyday HELP FIGHT ACNE at all?

Theoretically, it should reduce stress, which is a major contributor to acne.

In my experience though, exercise doesn't help cure acne at all.