Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omarcomin

Does Anyone Grieve For A Better Time In Their Life?

I don't mean when i had clear skin because i don't really remember what it was like to have clear skin as that was half of my life time ago but a time when i was ok with my skin. During my teenage years i just hid myself in my room, on my own. Between about 2006 to 2009 my skin cleared up a little, not dramatically but enough for me to gain a little confidence. I made steady friends, some girls even gave me attention and i started going out clubbing. During all that time i was still self conscious about my skin and still had hell with it (putting up with comments, trouble going out etc.) but i was at a better place. So in 2009, BAM! my skin just suddenly breaks out worse than ever. Since then i've hidden myself away and any friends i did have don't want to know me now because i've cut myself off from them, and from their point of view, they don't know why.

Recently i've been looking at all these people on various social network sites and it makes me realise just how pathetic and counter productive this is. All these people have moved on with their lives, got married, had children etc. All this time i've been grieveing for a time that i'll never get back, letting my skin get worse and worse instead of spending the time looking for a way to fix it, or better it at least. The most ridiculous thing is that when i really think back to that 3 year period i wasn't that happy anyway. When i was with girls or at clubs or with friends i was still getting aggro over my skin and was constantly paranoid about it. I feel so stupid that i've wasted 3 years reminiscing and grieving over a time that wasn't that great anyway when i could of spent that time finding a way to get to a place where i even had a better time than then.

Has anyone else grieved for a certain time in their life? what did you do to get over that?

Wish I could go back to 06. That was a good year. I hardly remember the last five years as they have been depressing, and not just because of acne reason. Acne is the icing on the cake. Acne just reminds me that any type of normalcy that I expect is nothing more than a wish.

yes but its hopeless thinking about it since you can never go back in time, you just have to learn from your mistakes and try and make things better.

I blame the western diet all my pain and suffering, acne is a recent disease, cavemen didn't have it.

April-June 2009 was probably the best time for me, but I don't want to go back to it. I remember I was happy because I was pretty much clear for my graduation in May. I always thought, oh, I did it by myself. I didn't need a dermatologist. I wish I had gone to a dermatologist though because my acne got way worse after that point.

yes but its hopeless thinking about it since you can never go back in time, you just have to learn from your mistakes and try and make things better.

I blame the western diet all my pain and suffering, acne is a recent disease, cavemen didn't have it.

What did caveman eat maybe we should go back to that

What did caveman eat maybe we should go back to that

the paleo diet is pretty popular already. they basically eat only meat, vegetables, and fruit. grains, dairy, wheat, and beans, and potatoes/ starchy veggies were not being eaten during those times.

It's a hard diet to follow because were used to having super tasty food that takes only a few min to microwave. its rare for people in non-civilized countries that don't have access to processed food to have acne.

I'm tryyyyying to eat healthy but its soooooooooo harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddddddddddd

the paleo diet is pretty popular already. they basically eat only meat, vegetables, and fruit. grains, dairy, wheat, and beans, and potatoes/ starchy veggies were not being eaten during those times.

Fuck that I like food. I cut out sodas, fruit drinks, orange juice and now I only drink water. I don't eat almonds, nuts, dairy products, but I have to eat bread. I stay away from enriched bread and eat whole wheat, but only twice a week. I eat grilled chicken salads and salmon but I am craving something different. I hate this because even though I am taking care of my body and I won't be fat, I still have acne to worry about.

Fuck that I like food. I cut out sodas, fruit drinks, orange juice and now I only drink water. I don't eat almonds, nuts, dairy products, but I have to eat bread. I stay away from enriched bread and eat whole wheat, but only twice a week. I eat grilled chicken salads and salmon but I am craving something different. I hate this because even though I am taking care of my body and I won't be fat, I still have acne to worry about.

Bread causes acne for me...I used to like it but once i cut out bread for many months, it taste like cardboard to me now. Like dry, rough, tasteless dirt.

Whould you rather eat bread the rest of your life and have acne or not have acne and live life breadless?

lol thats how i see it

Protein shakes break me out, but I am missing one part of the equation because I still have breakouts. Nothing bad like before, but worse than every other person I see out in public, and combine that with my scars and my face sucks. I wish I could delete my face. They say working out and exercise is supposed to make you feel positive, but some days I actually stop in the middle of a workout to go home and sleep because what is the point.

I think there is always going to be some reason or other to feel unhappy about yourself/your life. Staying positive requires a shit load of energy, but I think it's worth the effort.

There are definitely times I miss the days when I didn't have acne. I was looking at pictures of myself from high school the other day and I looked like a porcelain doll (in comparison to what I look like now) - its only been about seven years since then, but I look like I've aged much more than that and it scares me a little. I remember being happy back in high school, but the truth is that if I think about it, I also went through a lot of shit - I moved from China to Canada in Grade 10 so that was a huge shock, had my ex-boyfriend cheat on me with my best friend, struggled through my parents' separation, went through a long period of disordered eating, had friends who constantly backstabbed each other, and attended an academically challenging high school that made it very clear very quickly I wasn't the genius I assumed I was before.

Then I think about uni and remember all the times I felt disappointed by my academic performance (I stressed out a LOT over my grades), outclassed by my far better-spoken classmates, isolated because I missed my family/friends back home, and screwed over by whatever guy I was seeing at the time - I dated a few real jerks throughout my undergraduate career. At the time I'm sure I was distraught over all these things, but looking back now I feel like I actually had a really good time in uni - the good memories stand out so much more than the bad ones, and ditto high school.

I'm sure that one day acne will just be a footnote in my history. It might take a while, but as they say, true happiness is in knowing how to forget.

Edited by hotburrito

I'm sure that one day acne will just be a footnote in my history. It might take a while, but as they say, true happiness is in knowing how to forget.

Honestly it sounds like acne is going to be just that a footnote in your history. From your thread it sounds like you have many great things in your life, and success is in your future. Everyone has to go through a battle I guess. Once you get rid of acne you will be back on track.

Yea, I would love to go back to 07-09. When I was acne free, pretty, confident and happy. I had friends, I was social, I had a bf. Normal life. Before that I was a typical teenager, not the happiest, but not the most miserable one. But in high school, it was a bright period in my life (15.5-18). First date,first kiss, prom night, happy times with my girlfriends, enjoying life and myself. In 2010 my acne got worse, I moved to the US, my life has changed in SO many ways. Depression, insecurities, anxities, dealing with mean ppl, self-esteem issues and problems in social life. Typical dark period.

Now I'm recovering from those horrible times, my acne is getting better ( but becoz of Spiro), Im tryin' to regain my confidence and healthy weight ( from 130-110lbs), also I try to be more social and be happy about myself. I'm still stuck in the past, but I realize that I have to change things at least.

Life always has its ups and downs, so this was one of them I guess. I grew up as a person tho, I'm more mature now. My interest in psychology helped me get thru this. I still have a long journey to go, but I've learned a lot as well.

"I just want to feel safe in my own skin, I just want to be happy again.."

Edited by amy91

Honestly it sounds like acne is going to be just that a footnote in your history. From your thread it sounds like you have many great things in your life, and success is in your future. Everyone has to go through a battle I guess. Once you get rid of acne you will be back on track.

Thank you :) Although it's true that I'm very lucky, keep in mind that I deliberately picked only the good things to talk about in my thread! Sometimes you just have to be really determined to focus your attention someplace positive so that you don't get overwhelmed by all the negative stuff. I really hope that acne will turn out to be just a footnote in your life too.

Possibly if I could not actually go back to that time, but have the mentality that I had in 2007/8, it would make dealing with acne so much easier. I used to have worse acne back then than I do now, but I never cared about it at all, and if anyone mentioned it I'd shrug it off very easily.

Fast forward to now and it feels like the complete opposite, I worry constantly about it and the amount of time I seemingly spend on applying treatments and whatnot is ridiculous, yet I can't seem to go back to that original mentality.

I don't remember life without it and I've no previous point I'd rather go back to. Pretty lost in that respect because I struggle to see that the way I feel about myself with change. I certainly grieved for all the years I lost and there are constant reminders of that in my inexperience and lack of social life. But there's only so long you can look back before that becomes total counter-productive. Instead, I'm going to try and move forward, reinvent myself and see if I can learn to lole the new me. Going to start sleeping at more appropriate times, eating more and eating better, be kinder to my skin and try not to pick. Think I'm going to cut my hair short as well and get a whole new look, removing a few things which I used to like but which now trigger insecurities about my appearance. If I get those things sorted, I might then gain a bit of confidence to put myself out there and to get a new job. :)

yeah, i do. i wish my parents would have taken me to the dermatologist back then. things would have really been different(can't change it now). i was at my wits' end and begged to see a dermatologist. they had the capability, but wouldn't cause splurging money on anything seems like a sin to the poor. poor people are gonna think like poor people. how did they not see what this self-image issue can do to someone mentally? these thoughts constantly haunt me every now and then. lol, my dad even shouted at me once, "IS YOUR FACE THAT IMPORTANT?" yeah ok it's my fault that i let something like that affect me. na, fuck you. this guy treats me the same way as his dad treated him. he never did things with me. he doesn't even talk to me much or if any at all. i'm sick of living with him and having to call him DAD everytime he comes home or he gets angry at me not addressing him. hey, he replies with a HMMM and that's it, no more talking. so classy. yeah right, the biggest joke of a dad in the world probably. every now and then, i think what could have happened and how life could have been easier, but what's done is done. i believe everything happens for a reason. one key thing i learnt from this family is how much it sucks being poor. i'm gonna make my own money and get outta here soon. i got my ways. see ya!

The way I see it, your acne isn't going to get any better if we lock ourselves away, might as well attempt to live life to the fullest.

Is that a fact?

yes, acne is a recent disease. before processed food existed, no one had acne. It's so sad to think about it, how we weren

t meant to have acne : /

Is that a fact?

yes, acne is a recent disease. before processed food existed, no one had acne. It's so sad to think about it, how we weren

WHAT ARE U TALKING ABOUT. ACNE HAS ALWAYS BEEN AROUND.

FOODS DONT CAUSE ACNE. SURE CERATIN FOODS CAN HELP CAUSE ACNE, SUCH AS DAIRY, BUT ITS NOT JUST FOOD.

Is that a fact?

FOODS DONT CAUSE ACNE. SURE CERATIN FOODS CAN HELP CAUSE ACNE, SUCH AS DAIRY, BUT ITS NOT JUST FOOD.

Food DOES cause acne. I cannot eat potatoes without breaking out. Acne has NOT been around forever, it's a NEW disease just like aids, it has not been around forever.

Eating genetically modified, and processed food will cause acne.

I went on a restrictive diet twice this year and bothe times it clearned me 100%. Diet does affect acne whether you like it or not, it's a fact. You have to be really ignorant to think food doesn't affect acne.

I don't remember life without it and I've no previous point I'd rather go back to. Pretty lost in that respect because I struggle to see that the way I feel about myself with change. I certainly grieved for all the years I lost and there are constant reminders of that in my inexperience and lack of social life. But there's only so long you can look back before that becomes total counter-productive. Instead, I'm going to try and move forward, reinvent myself and see if I can learn to lole the new me. Going to start sleeping at more appropriate times, eating more and eating better, be kinder to my skin and try not to pick. Think I'm going to cut my hair short as well and get a whole new look, removing a few things which I used to like but which now trigger insecurities about my appearance. If I get those things sorted, I might then gain a bit of confidence to put myself out there and to get a new job. smile.png

You could be a dj at a radio station! (Just listened to you on the voice thread lol)

I never really thought about it before but that's an interesting concept.

Is that a fact?

THIS

I can also add that certain food can worsen the situation becoz:

1. Our body is damaged and cannot accept the food we take

2. We have allergies to certain foods.

But diet is not the only reason of acne, and diet itself cannot cure acne either.

Sorry for distorting the topic.

Edited by amy91