Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SarahNaomi

Dry Flaky Skin, But Still Getting Pustules And Spots. What's Wrong With Me?!

I have a very weird and unique problem that I can never find the solution for. Basically, a few months ago i had fairly oily and combination skin. This caused me to break out in my t-zone and nose. In the Summer i'd had enough and went to the chemist for prescription. I got PanOxyl 2.5 (Oxy10 2.5 basically) and started using this in my regime. Now I get incredibly dry and flaky patches of skin and then right in the middle there are pimples, spots and red pustules. Whenever I moisturise to get rid of this flakiness it causes more and more pimples and doesn't even help the dryness! I've been to a GP and everything and no-one can find anything to help me. The main places are my chin, under my nose and forehead. Please help! Sorry if this is too long it's just no-one can find a fix! :(

Maybe its just irritated from the dryness? and I know how you feel, moisturizer does nothing for me either, sometimes it even makes it drier. -.- try a new moisturizer, maybe that would help? :) good luck.

Guest Timehealsall

did you ever take oral antibiotics?

I have the exact same problem. The only thing that helps me is some gel moisturizer that my private dermatologist sells me. Unfortunately I have no idea what's in it because one time I asked but he didn't really tell me :|

Dryness is definitely a trigger for me to break out with acne, so your problem is not that weird to me.

Especially in the winter months it gets really bad and I'm constantly itchy and dry.

I think I've found the source of the problem in the fact that the wash I was using contained 2% salicylic acid (which I did not realise) and this was completely drying out my skin and not even helping the spots. I've now changed to a gentle cleanser and moisturiser and it's not all better, but it's definitely improved. Thank you so much for all your replies! I know where to come if there are any problems that I have in future:)