Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jo3800

Plastic Surgeons Doing Saline Injections

I am looking into doing some saline injections with a plastic surgeon/dermatologist during the next year. Does anyone know a doctor on the east coast doing these injections? I've heard that Dr. Sire is great, but flying out from Virginia to Los Angeles every two weeks isn't really an option.

That would probably end up being what I'll need to do. But a while back I seem to remember finding a surgeon in Maryland that offered saline injections, but I can't seem to find their website a second time.

I am looking into doing some saline injections with a plastic surgeon/dermatologist during the next year. Does anyone know a doctor on the east coast doing these injections? I've heard that Dr. Sire is great, but flying out from Virginia to Los Angeles every two weeks isn't really an option.

What are you looking to accomplish by getting saline injected? It is a very temporary filler (like a few days) and it's gonna do very little to nothing to help your scars look better. A complete waste of time and money IMO.

My daughter had saline injections last spring.

I can't recommend the saline injections. After six months the scars I thought were gone have come back. There are a couple that are worse. And her skin has days where the scars all look really bad and then the next day they pop out and look better. This repeats over and over again and is scaring the heck out of me. Perhaps she's unusual, but maybe it's just because she had lots of injections done and it's caused some weird sort of longterm healing reaction.

She had two or three little shallow ice pick scars on her forehead that I thought had vanished but they have returned although it looks more like a soft depression instead of sharp walls, so it did help a little on that.

Overall, I think the injections may have helped a very little, but it isn't worth this reaction where some days her scars look really deep and bad. I would not have my daughter ever do another one.

I have had my daughter do a test spot on the Fraxel Restore laser and after three weeks it does seem to have helped and not harmed, so I suspect we will continue with that for her on her cheeks and then wait a few months after the first one and make sure we are not harming her.

My daughter's skin doesn't react like other people though so I have no idea what that means for others.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I will definitely look into it more before paying for any kind of injections.

It does sound like the saline injections didn't do much. As to how her scars seem to look different every day, that happens to me too. I think it has to do with the normal swelling of your face, depending on liquid/salt intake. For example, this morning I woke up and my scars looks very shallow, but my face was also swollen. Throughtout the day they have gone back to normal, and my face isn't swollen any more. Does this sound at all like what is happening to her?

I can't recommend the saline injections. After six months the scars I thought were gone have come back. There are a couple that are worse. And her skin has days where the scars all look really bad and then the next day they pop out and look better. This repeats over and over again and is scaring the heck out of me. Perhaps she's unusual, but maybe it's just because she had lots of injections done and it's caused some weird sort of longterm healing reaction.

She had two or three little shallow ice pick scars on her forehead that I thought had vanished but they have returned although it looks more like a soft depression instead of sharp walls, so it did help a little on that.

Overall, I think the injections may have helped a very little, but it isn't worth this reaction where some days her scars look really deep and bad. I would not have my daughter ever do another one.

I have had my daughter do a test spot on the Fraxel Restore laser and after three weeks it does seem to have helped and not harmed, so I suspect we will continue with that for her on her cheeks and then wait a few months after the first one and make sure we are not harming her.

My daughter's skin doesn't react like other people though so I have no idea what that means for others.

Edited by jo3800

Yes, we went to Dr. Sire. I really like Dr. Sire as a dermatologist. I think he's quite honest. He said she would probably need to have the injections done once or twice a year after the initial treatment series so he never said they were totally permanent. I think he treats them more like a filler although I had thought the improvement would be permanent from what I had researched on people's comments on the internet. For some people they may be if they have enough of them done and the scars are small. My daughter's minor scars did disappear for about five or six months. I don't think it works very well on the larger, broader, deeper scars.

I am actually concerned that my daughter is having a reaction like the woman who posted a year or so ago about her face tightening up over a year's time from 3 mm surgical dermarolling. It took a year for all the changes in her skin to apparently finish and she wasn't happy about the end results. I just am concerned that the injections my daughter had done, and she had a lot done in her cheeks over seven treatments, that my daughter's getting that sort of reaction. That's what is disturbing. Hopefully for most people that wouldn't even be an issue, but I noticed one other guy on this forum stating that he was kind of having the same reaction and he stopped very early, which I certainly would recommend.

Edited by hellohellohello

Hey!

Scar appearance can vary a bit from day to day just like the scars usually look better in the morning.. I guess things like salty foods eaten can cause minor swelling or sleeping position or anything really. I just don't see how any kind of healing reaction could cause such fluctuations especially so long after the treatments. I'm glad your daughter had some results however and that fraxel is working.

For those wanting to try this and especially those not living close to any doctor doing these - you could also try doing it yourself. I have tried it a few times now and if you use a new needle every time and avoid applying too much saline the risks should be minimal. The risks should be about the same as in dermarolling if done properly. There's no pain worth mentioning but there'll be some bleeding which will stop quickly though. If you decide to do it yourself do some studying on it first though and get proper saline and needles!