Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Idolator

Try New Antibiotic Or Start Accutane? Please Help! (Red Mark Issues)

Sorry that this post is incredibly long! So I'm in a difficult situation, I was on Doxycycline from March-October and it worked really well, but in July it seemed to had lost it's effectiveness and I started to get more acne again, but nothing that was too big of a deal. In October, I got fed up with it "not working anymore", even though it still was somewhat helping (I just didn't realize it), and I suddenly quit taking it without slowly going off it like you are supposed to. HUGE MISTAKE on my part, I had a HORRIBLE breakout, one of the worst breakouts I've ever had for 2 months, which gave me tons and tons of red marks along with it. It wasn't until November where I was able to switch over to another antibiotic, which was Tetracycline. I started taking Tetracycline and immediately saw results, my breakout from Doxycycline was stopped and I was hardly getting any acne at all, then yesterday after I ran out and needed to re-fill, I called my pharmacy and found out that it's been discontinued everywhere! Well...what the fuck do I do now?! Switch to ANOTHER antibiotic that will what...work for 3 months and then slowly lose effectiveness and/or get discontinued out of fucking nowhere? Come on now! Before Doxycycline I tried Erythmocyclin and that did absolutely nothing at all either. I'm taking Doxycycline again for now, I will probably have an enormous breakout from stopping Tetracycline, unless Doxy decides to help stop it, I have no idea. Hooray for more red marks that await my face!

My major issue is that I am very easily prone to getting red marks. The breakout I had after quitting Doxycycline FUCKED MY FACE UP, haha, I have tons of red marks, luckily they are disappearing rapidly, but it just irritates me that I get red marks so easily in the first place. Especially since I do nothing to really irritate the acne, I don't pick, poke, pop, or anything. I let them be and just apply Benzoyl Peroxide and Moisturizer. I had hundreds of red marks on my face for almost a year, then I finally found a very good topical that cleared them up within a few months, called "Prutect". It works amazing. And then after I was all cleared up and didn't have that much acne, I decided to stop taking Doxy like a fucking idiot and out of nowhere! Red marks return!

So should I keep juggling with different antibiotics, or should I just go straight to Accutane? I'm not too afraid of the side effects and even though the money will kill me, I'm willing to do it.

The only factor that is stopping me is I MUST have my face completely clear by summer time because that's when my girlfriend is coming to visit me and she must not see me like that (I know, sounds stupid, but I'm very self cautious about my appearance, especially red marks, ughh).

So if Accutane breaks me out, which it obviously will with the initial breakout, I will get tons of red marks all over my face, which could take months to heal. But luckily Prutect can help make that go by quicker, but I have no idea if it will make them go away within the few month period that I need them to. If I take it for 3 months, assuming that's how long I will get put on it, that leaves maybe 5-6 months that I can try to clear up my red marks with Prutect and different methods if needed. But if my Derm wants to put me on for 6 months, then I probably will not do that at all, that's only like 2 months of time to heal my red marks and I cannot do that within a 2 month period. Unless I get IBM's, but damn, those are expensive and I'm paying all of this out of my pocket.

Or I could just do what I'm doing now and try to clear up the small amount of red marks I have (I guess small, compared to the hundreds of red marks I had before) and try to find another antibiotic that will WORK long enough until I have enough free time to finally take Accutane and to get rid of all this acne forever and get rid of my red marks. Because doing all of that within 8 months doesn't seem very plausable. I don't know how bad the red marks you get from Accutane are and how long they usually take to heal. I healed hundreds of horrible red marks I had on my face for almost a year within 3-4 months with Prutect, but then again, those were on my face for quite sometime and they weren't as fresh, so maybe that's why I got them healed so fast with the topical. Right now the ones I've had on my face for a month are healing very well, so I don't know what I should do really.

Can anyone tell me how bad the red marks you get from Accutane are? Or does it just depend? Do the red marks heal slower while you are on Accutane? Could I use Prutect while on Accutane since it’s not an acne-related topical, it’s just a emulsion topical?

Because right now I don't know what other things I can possibly do other than Accutane, I don’t have any idea what else my doctor could prescribe that would actually work and that my insurance would cover. Doxycycline only partially works. I've already tried 2 other antibiotics. I can't afford Minocycline because my insurance doesn't cover the cost. Benzoyl Peroxide isn't enough on it's own to take care of the problem. Changing my diet hasn't done anything for me. Taking different vitamins like A, C, D, E, and Fish Oil hasn't done anything either.

Random red mark comment here, it's weird because when Doxy "quit working" and I was getting some acne, the acne didn't seem to be leaving behind red marks, but then the breakout I got from Doxy after I quit taking it left behind a red mark for every single pimple I got. Is that normal?

Does anyone know what would be the best route to go with all of this? I'm seeing my Dermatologist on Thursday, yay, $100 more down the drain for something that will probably not work for long!

tl;dr: Should I find a new antibiotic that will hopefully work a little bit and also work to clear up my red marks, or should I go on Accutane, and risk getting a million more red marks when I need to be clear by summer time?

Sorry for the random ramblings, just trying to explain my situation, haha. Any help would be great, thanks!! biggrin.png

I'm 12 days into accutane and I already see significant improvement in my red marks. I didn't have an initial breakout although everybody is different.

My opinion? Do it man. It's been the best decision of my life in just 12 days.

Accutane.....stop playing with your time and $$. If you treat it, you will avoid more red marks and heal up nicely :-). Your insurance may cover accutane if the derm lets them know all the other options have been exhausted. You can also order them from Canadian pharmacies once you have your prescription for alot cheaper. Or just pay for it like me lol. But your insurance should atleast cover the labs and visits.

I'm 12 days into accutane and I already see significant improvement in my red marks. I didn't have an initial breakout although everybody is different.

My opinion? Do it man. It's been the best decision of my life in just 12 days.

Wow man! Your red marks before Accutane are already going away rapidly because of it? If so, that's awesome!

same thing happened to me, I went off of doxycycline and my face went crazy. You should tell your dermatologist about what happened!

Damn, that sucks! Did you got off it suddenly like I did? Or did you try to slowly go off it? I think just slowly going off it and taking less and less each day would definitely prevent a breakout, or just switching to another medication. Unfortunately, I did the very illogical thing and just quit all together, haha. Worst mistake ever.

Accutane.....stop playing with your time and $$. If you treat it, you will avoid more red marks and heal up nicely whistling.gif). Your insurance may cover accutane if the derm lets them know all the other options have been exhausted. You can also order them from Canadian pharmacies once you have your prescription for alot cheaper. Or just pay for it like me lol. But your insurance should atleast cover the labs and visits.

Really good way to see it, thanks! Exactly what I'm thinking, I mine as well just take care of acne right now and get it the hell out of my life. But like I was saying, I'm really concerned about the red marks afterwards, unless my skin reacts the same way Blooper11's did, and my red marks actually heal faster while on Accutane, but I've heard of a lot of people complaining about having red marks afterwards that they were having trouble getting rid of. And I just need to make sure my red marks are gone by summer time, or I will be very upset. :( And I'm very red mark prone, so I can see myself being stuck with HUNDREDS of them, haha. As long as my dermatologist puts me on a 3 month course, I guess I COULD have enough time to heal them all, but a 6 month course just wouldn't be enough time to heal them for me. :( Unless I possibly went tanning after I'm done with Accutane, but I've heard that's very bad for red marks, but if it's a temporary fix just so I look okay for a couple weeks, I guess that could be an option, and I could just deal with having the red marks even longer then I suppose.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I strongly advice to go by your derm's recommendation as far as how long your treatment will be. Don't trip about your gf or anyone, you are doing this for you. If it helps you cope with your insecurity tell her now you are considering accutane so when she sees you it isnt a surprise. You will find people who are close to you, who care about you, are very supportive. Especially if she wants her man lookin right :-D lol......honestly you may be clear by your 3rd month, who knows.