Notifications
Clear all

Clusters Of Bumps On Chin

MemberMember
(@sm1lejuliettee)

Posted : 12/13/2011 4:11 pm

So, this past month, I started breaking out horribly on my chin. I have had cysts, whiteheads, etc... but strangely, I started getting these clusters of small bumps on both the left and right side of my chin. I can't pop them cause there's no opening and I have no idea how they came to be. I've been exfoliating, treating them, washing my face, moisturizing, etc, etc ,etc!!!! But I have no idea what they are and how to get rid of them. They feel really hard and I've been researching but came up with nothing. I don't have insurance so going to the dermatologist is really hard atm and I'm just stuck.

I changed up my moisturizers this past month so I'm thinking that's what happened. I started using Cetaphil in the morning and this baby cream, California Baby with calendula... and I thought my skin loved it but I don't know. I stopped using both of them immediately and started going back to my old routine. I also switched up my face wash to this oat soap... but stopped that for now as well.

Can someone PLEASE help me? These bumps are very annoying and VERY present on my face.

Here's a picture: Don't click the link if you don't want to see please. It's not very pretty.

MemberMember
(@chammysandler123)

Posted : 12/13/2011 9:46 pm

it's probably cystic acne. i currently have a few small bumps on the right side of my cheek. at first i thought it was nothing but then i realized they were really deep. DONT TRY AND POP THEM. it will make it a lot worse. i went to the derm and she prescribed doxy and differin. Maybe you should just go to your normal doctor instead of a derm?

MemberMember
(@sm1lejuliettee)

Posted : 12/13/2011 9:54 pm

it's probably cystic acne. i currently have a few small bumps on the right side of my cheek. at first i thought it was nothing but then i realized they were really deep. DONT TRY AND POP THEM. it will make it a lot worse. i went to the derm and she prescribed doxy and differin. Maybe you should just go to your normal doctor instead of a derm?

Is the doxy and differin working out for you? Or do you still have them?

MemberMember
(@chammysandler123)

Posted : 12/13/2011 10:41 pm

Is the doxy and differin working out for you? Or do you still have them?

I've been on it for a month and i think its working. I used to have 100% clear skin up until october of this year. I tried shaving clean for the first time in like a year (i usually trim with an electric shaver) and that combined with the stress from being a freshman in college caused me to break out i think. I'm not really that acne prone so i don't know how well it would work for other people but i would definitely give it a shot!

MemberMember
(@sm1lejuliettee)

Posted : 12/17/2011 1:14 am

Does no one else have this problem? Just a cluster of small, hard bumps on the chin??

Here's a picture (if it'll help).

Don't click if you don't wanna see.

MemberMember
(@rainedtheday)

Posted : 12/17/2011 10:24 am

I have VERY similar acne to this, and I always assumed it was whiteheads, but they're hard and when I try to pop them so nothing comes out....I don't know about them being cystic, but it's possible. Acne on your chin/around your mouth is typically hormonal...just a bit of information that may (or may not) be interesting to know! Do you use Benozyl peroxide? That tends to be pretty effective for me, though I haven't yet succeeded in getting rid of all the bumps with this method. I definitely think it's a matter of getting deep below the skin so whatever's within them can be released.

MemberMember
(@stpurple9)

Posted : 12/18/2011 2:41 pm

I have those all over my chin, and some scattered around my cheeks and forehead too. I'm 25; this problem just started about 3-4 months ago - before, even as a teenager, I'd had near-perfect skin. I switched my regimen around a lot lately, and I'm fairly certain that is at least some of the reason for my problems in particular, so your changing moisturizers probably has something to do with it too. I also suspect hormonal imbalance in my case and intend on getting that checked out in two weeks.

As for the bumps you have, I don't think they are cystic acne bumps. Those are deep, very painful, and usually much larger. I have gotten a lot of cystic acne on my face lately, and it's usually due to one of these little bumps inflaming, or from me trying to squeeze them out. So please don't squeeze them! I know it is so incredibly tempting, but it's really really a better idea not to do it.

Since you say you actually don't get anything out of the bumps when you do squeeze, that could mean they are either milia, or really deep whiteheads (some of my whiteheads, when very deep, are not able to be squeezed out until they come closer to the surface). Perhaps you could try an exfoliating BHA product - I currently use Paula's Choice 2% liquid and/or gel, and while I don't see major results (I've been using them consistently for a month), I have had some of these little bumps come out entirely, or at least come much closer to the surface. While my particular experience with Paula's Choice BHA products hasn't been anything extraordinary, other people absolutely rave about them. I've used another BHA product before, an old Neutrogena one that has been discontinued, that was absolutely amazing for my skin. That's what I used as a teenager and up until recently, during the time my skin was crystal clear. BHAs are good at keeping skin exfoliated, which prevents dirt, dead cell and sebum buildup from clogging the pores and creating whiteheads/closed comedones.

MemberMember
(@rosamay116)

Posted : 05/23/2014 8:01 am

Change the toothpaste you're using to fluoride free! Trust me, give it a month or two and it will start to clear up. Not many people realise the effects fluoride has on skin - I spent years living with acne exactly like yours after a seemingly sudden outbreak, and tried treating it with everything I could find, before realising that the root cause was the toothpaste I'd been using. Try it!