Notifications
Clear all

Claravis Journey Via Skin Of A 30 Yr Old Man

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/13/2011 3:24 pm

Day 1

I'm taking 1 40mg pill 1 x day for the first month. Obviously, there are few things to report now.

Its been about 16 hours since my first pill. My acne is mild, but chronic. The antibiotic really mellowed it out in recent weeks. Hell, my skin almost looks healthy, even normal. But I know an evil monster lies dormant.

My journey to this day started about 8 months ago when my derm first mentioned accutane. Since then, I'd been on doxy and minocine.

However, this is my second round of accutane. My first round was about 15 years ago when I was 16.

My derm wants me on 6 months of accutane, for now. I hope I can take it. A great difficulty will be limiting my alcohol intake it. I love that stuff. I am in grad school as well, so I assume I will get tired and moody. I like to work out, but I fear that my body will ache so much.

Just a few more hours till my second dose.

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/13/2011 3:46 pm

Nevermind this post answers my question lol. Since we started close I will keep up with your progress. I am starting on 40mg the first month too, am in grad school, and sad cuz I cant drink for new years and my bday. Who wants to go to Vegas and and not drink? Lol so depressing.... 😀 good luck!

MemberMember
(@blahdeeblah)

Posted : 12/13/2011 5:23 pm

Good luck! I'm having trouble staying off the booze as well...so much so that I haven't really stopped, just cut back to 2 nights a week or so. I'm about a month in and have been working out pretty hard since I started (I hired a personal trainer the week before I took the plunge to get on accutane) and so far it hasn't hindered me at all. I would say the only thing I've noticed is that it takes me an extra day for the soreness to go away after a good workout - not sure if that is related or just the fact that I'm getting older and I'm not recovering as fast as I used to.

Anyhoo - I'll follow your progress :)

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/14/2011 9:46 am

Day 2

No major changes thus far. I think some of my current pimples are getting bigger, but that may be normal.

I didn't drink last night, but I think I may drink tonight with some classmates. So, I am planning to take my pill earlier in the day. I doubt this will matter much.

Thanks for the replies.

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 12/14/2011 6:07 pm

Day 2

I didn't drink last night, but I think I may drink tonight with some classmates. So, I am planning to take my pill earlier in the day. I doubt this will matter much.

Thanks for the replies.

....Speaking of alcohol, I've cut down a lot...but I then again I used to drink a lot!...I now drink maybe 3 times a week maybe 2-3 drinks? How much are you guys drinking....?

I really respect those of you who completely stop, I just think I'll go mental if I do, I don't want acne to ruin my social life even MORE than it has done already.

x x

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/15/2011 11:19 am

Day 3

Quiescence, last night I had drinks with a friend, a lovely young female. We shared a bottle of Merlot at a restaurant. I didn't think twice about it, which I'm sure my liver regrets. I don't plan on drinking tonight.

My skin still looks the same, as should be expected at this early stage. So, I have taken the liberty of treating my acne with my powerful prescription topical creams, even though I was told to stop them. I don't see why I should stop those just yet if the Claravis isn't kicking in yet.

However, I think I notice some minor drying of my skin, which is odd because my skin is very oily.

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/16/2011 5:08 pm

Day 4

My lips have gotten drier than normal. I'm using Aquaphor healing ointment. We'll see if that works.

My skin looks about the same. My current acne seems to be mellowing out, but it seems like a natural decrease. I can't say that the Claravis is working its magic just yet.

I read some posts about people using Cortisone cream on some of their acne. I decided to try to that on two chronic cysts on my neck. I couldn't seem to get rid of them with the antibiotic or the prescription creams.

I had a tall glass of wine last night - nothing out of the ordinary for me. However, this morning, my stomach didn't respond to well it or something else. I'm not sure if it was a reaction to the Claravis. I will have to try to repeat the conditions tonight to see if I get the same result tomorrow morning. :-)

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/17/2011 12:07 pm

Sooo I have a question, now that your on Accutane, does the effects if alcohol kick in quicker? Lol just curious. Maayyybbbeee I will have a couple for NYE. lol

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/17/2011 2:04 pm

Day 5

My skin looks about same. I haven't been able to spend too much time in the sun. My lips are a bit dry.

SkyLynn, I had 3 glasses of wine last night. I can't tell if the alcohol is hitting me quicker. I think as the days progress, it will become more evident.

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/18/2011 4:42 pm

Day 6

A new pimple formed on my chest. Hopefully, its not the calm before the storm.

Otherwise, my skin looks the about the same. Some of my pre-Claravis acne is beginning to fade away. This may just be a normal progression of time. I've been using cortisone along with the remaining of my prescription topical creams. My lips are still dry throughout the day.

Had some wine last night. I am slowly weening myself off this stuff. I tell myself that when grad school starts up again in mid January, I will be drinking much much less. This is my goal.

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/19/2011 10:15 am

Day 7

I started my meds 1 week ago tonight. So far, my lips are dry. Since yesterday, I have developed 2 new pimples. One on my chest. The other developed rather quickly on forehead all day yesterday. Its always odd to experience that growth.

Otherwise, my pre-claravis acne is mellowing out. I have a few cysts that are still holding fast.

I am still using my prescription topical creams. I don't think the cortisone is having much of an effect on the cysts on my neck.

We will see what tomorrow brings.

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/20/2011 7:09 pm

Day 8

I woke up with 1 new pimple in each of my earlobes. I wonder if they are developing due to the Claravis or the lack of antibiotic in my body. I was on minocine for about 4 weeks straight now and it was beginning to show some effect, but alas it was no cure.

My lips beginning to dry out more often during the day.

So far, everything else, including my skin, looks about the same.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 12/20/2011 9:04 pm

I Just started Claravis 20mg once a day. I will follow your post too since we are only 7 days apart

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/20/2011 11:52 pm

Depface,

I will try to keep a good log about my experience.

I am curious, are you using any prescription topical creams?

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/21/2011 12:09 pm

Day 9

I woke up with dry blood over some of my pimples, including a cyst on my face. My face is getting drier. They must have been rubbed open while I moved in my sleep.

At least the cyst bled out enough to reduce in size. I don't see how I am not supposed to pick at my face when I am sleeping.

No new acne development today. With this new bleeding, my current acne seems to be mellowing out.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/22/2011 12:17 am

I'm on my second round of isoterin. Today I took my first 2 pills 40mg twice a day. I weigh 172 and this is pretty much on par from the last time in 2003. For those of you that do not know Clavaris is Accutane it is made in the same place that Accutane was made in before Roche closed shop. I'm surprised your only taking 40mg once a day I would ask to up it to double that. For the spots you are having trouble with dab some hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip and hold it on the spots for about 10 seconds it works trust me.

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/22/2011 1:05 am

GoHorns,

My derm mentioned that he wanted to start me off on small dose to prevent a major flare up. I guess, I can appreciate that. He thinks that I will be on Claravis for about 6 months, minimum.

I will try your advise with the hydrogen peroxide. Thanks for the feedback!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/22/2011 1:12 am

I see I think the initial flare up is hit or miss depending on the person. My acne is not bad or severe but the oil on my skin at 38 is driving me nuts along with the occasional acne flare up. I'm pretty active physically and socially and hate going to the gym with oily broke out skin and most of the social events I attend there are photos taken and hate seeing myself look like I am sweating in the pictures. I have a really cool Dermatologist and he understands this quiet well he even attends some of the events I do so he gets it. I'll let you know how my 80 a day are doing so you can see what next month might be like.

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/22/2011 1:27 am

I see I think the initial flare up is hit or miss depending on the person. My acne is not bad or severe but the oil on my skin at 38 is driving me nuts along with the occasional acne flare up. I'm pretty active physically and socially and hate going to the gym with oily broke out skin and most of the social events I attend there are photos taken and hate seeing myself look like I am sweating in the pictures. I have a really cool Dermatologist and he understands this quiet well he even attends some of the events I do so he gets it. I'll let you know how my 80 a day are doing so you can see what next month might be like.

Well the initial breakout sure hit me lol.... I am going to try the hydrogen peroxide too.

So you are on Accutane mainly because your skin is too oily? When you took it back in 2003 was it due to acne??

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/22/2011 1:33 am

Yes my acne was pretty bad on my face and back was also getting the large cystic type acne plus my skin was horribly oily all the time. Who knows I may get a bad break out here in a few days I'm not sure. I eat healthy and I do vegetable fasts often mainly eating nothing but apples, spinach, carrots etc for a few days. I'm also on Probiotics and a Liver supplement. I swear the hydrogen peroxide has worked great especially on my back I take a large cotton ball every time I get out of the shower and wipe by my back down and then a new one and wipe my entire face down and spot treat any visible acne with a q-tip.

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/22/2011 1:45 am

Yes my acne was pretty bad on my face and back was also getting the large cystic type acne plus my skin was horribly oily all the time. Who knows I may get a bad break out here in a few days I'm not sure. I eat healthy and I do vegetable fasts often mainly eating nothing but apples, spinach, carrots etc for a few days. I'm also on Probiotics and a Liver supplement. I swear the hydrogen peroxide has worked great especially on my back I take a large cotton ball every time I get out of the shower and wipe by my back down and then a new one and wipe my entire face down and spot treat any visible acne with a q-tip.

You wipe your face with a cotton ball with the hydrogen peroxide or do you only spot treat your face with the qtip? I am a lil slow, can you clarify please.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/22/2011 1:50 am

Both actually it may sting a bit and feel itchy but that will subside and if you see that your fingertips have turned white do not worry after a few hand washes that will go away. PM me for more were killing this guys thread lol.

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 12/22/2011 5:50 am

Wow, I've never heard of putting hydrogen peroxide on the face. I don't think my skin would tolerate that, but it's very sensitive.

Going back to the rest of your log, I agree that not drinking is one of the toughest parts, especially in the beginning. I love beer, as in I go to beer festivals and am always on the lookout for cool new brews to try. I'm not a binge drinker, but I normally have 1 beer every day after work and 1-3 on the weekend days if I'm hanging out with friends. Not drinking beer has sucked pretty badly, but I'm also healing an ulcer (diagnosed right before I started Accutane) so I've had to completely abstain from alcohol.

I'm pretty sure the initial breakout thing is individual. I started on my full dose - 40mg 1xday (I only weigh 100lbs) and had no IB, but there are some other logs in this forum that reflect horrible IBs. My skin just started getting dryer and clearing up right away.

Anyway, good luck on your treatment!

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/22/2011 1:59 pm

Day 10

I am still using my prescription topical creams on my trouble areas. No new acne development today. I've been applying some cortisone on two cysts on my neck. I am not sure if they are working, but the cysts are getting smaller, so I will continue that treatment.

My lips are getting so dry that I need to apply that lip balm lotion my derm gave me a few times a day. Just a few days ago, one application would do my lips good all day long.

Jesoli - Thanks for the feedback. It is always good to know that I am not the only one craving more alcohol. I'm still expecting an IB because thats the kind of luck I have. Sorry to hear about your ulcer. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@clearly_dreaming)

Posted : 12/23/2011 2:21 pm

Day 11

No new acne development today.

The skin around my forehead is feeling tighter as if its being pulled. I suppose this is the drying effect.

Much of the dried blood that dotted my face yesterday fell off during the night. I was very surprised to see my face in the mirror this morning. It looks much more healthier. But I know there is still much more change to come.