Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gemmyjunebug

What Are Bb Creams?

It's short for "blemish balm". They are kind of like a hybrid tinted moisturizer. I use the Water Fuse bb cream by Dr. Jart. There are a lot of different kinds that specialize in different skin issues. Whitening, acne, dry skin. They are usually fairly light in coverage, but there are some fuller coverage options. I personally use mine most in the summer when I sweat a lot and feel gross wearing full foundation.

So BB's can be moderate option between a tint and a foundation? Would you recommend another brand over another? Dry skin, acne-prone, sensitive, with some redness? My biggest concern is keeping moisture without reaction. I love my mineral makeup...though I would like a tad bit moisture for winter. I do moisturize prior to makeup application. Makes a definite difference-though with age comes spots,wrinkles, and yada-yada. A little more coverage with moisture would be ideal....Change can be good? Thank you for the info! Now, just finding the correct formulation<sigh>

I honestly like this one. You can put mineral powder over it and it works perfectly smile.png

http://sephora.com/b...&categoryId=B70

Ha! Thank you, I was just checking it out on S. Have you noticed any cosmetic induced breakouts? The moisture is key, so this looks great. ....and that is exactly how I plan to wear this BB. Unless, it checks perfect w/out mineral. Again, your info has been tremendously helpful.

One more ? Is the need for a primer and added moisturizer necessary? I can give or take the added lotion-however I've never been a fan of primers. Mostly the fear of causing a break out/reaction.

No problem just made it a little easier :)

Nope, no breakouts for me! You are very welcome for the info. It's exciting when skincare/makeup products from other countries start filtering in to the US. Hmmm. I would honestly use a primer if you want it to stay on for a long period of time with no smudging and stuff like that. 100% Pure makes a great natural organic primer. I would use that if you are afraid of breakouts. I've used it and it's very nice, clean feeling somehow, and you probably wouldn't need moisturizer if you used the bb cream and organic primer. :)

Thanks Again! I'm going to give your BB suggestion a go! I will give my skin a few weeks to adapt. If a primer is needed I know where to go for purchase. Thanks again.☮

So as with everythang I do...over analyze. I purchased the Dr. Jart @( CaliforniaEstie ) big thanks for rec. I will update. As for right now -I really need a little somethin' to go w/ my Hello Minerals. Like I said before Luv them but it's winter here and I need some love under them that offers some coverage and hydration. I went to the Drug Store and purchased a foundation. Gasssp. It's been like ..hmmm..10 years since I've worn a liquid or something in that capacity. I bought Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse. 2 shades. I've always blended shades. Plus I will dust w/ a powder to balance and highlight and yada-yada. Anyone else given it a go? SMOOTH NOT the matte? Comment and tips. I used a brush to apply and sponge. Honestly, it looks hecka' good. Really, really, good......

Is it water based? I think it is?...it's fragrance and SPF free. Which is bonus!!! I use my own SPF and in my Hello Minerals there is SPF.

Edited by gemmyjunebug

californiaEstie, do you wear BB creams under lotion? or as a lotion? also can you still wear powder over it? smile.png thanks

Hmm.

It depends. I use BP every morning so I usually use moisturizer under BB cream. But most people can probably just do primer and then the BB cream. And powder I actually recommend to set it:)

BB creams are doing there big hit here in Southeast Asia. It became popular in our country since there is a huge hype about Koreans (K-pop, koreanovelas). Since most of the people are into Korean hype they've been trying to be one from white skin, food, lifestyle, clothes and their make-up. It is said that koreans love BB cream. I dunno if it's true or just a promotional strategy of the brand. These bb creams are said to be good on skin because of mineral ingredients, it also has whitening and healing effect on acne, a great number of SPF and most of all, can be a great substitute for a make-up base. Some people use it as they're make-up to go.

I've used Misha, SkinFood, The Face Shop bb creams. These brands are for especially formulated for asian skin. I'm sorry I actually don't know some brands of these. But hopefully the one you're using now will do wonders on your skin.

I got the No7 one yesterday, nearly a month before release :3

Anyway, it's an okay BB cream! Coverage isn't as good as my usual one, which is No7's younger sister brand 17. BUT, it's made for Normal/Oily skin and it definitely helped reduce shine and it lasted quite a while considering I didn't have powder to set it (I hate smashing powder!). The consistency isn't as thick as 17, which I why I'm assuming it's not got as good coverage. It's also much more orange and at first I thought it'd look too orange, but it seemed to oxidise to an okay colour. Don't think I'll buy it again, but hey, you got to try to know and I got a free £5 No7 voucher when I bought it, haha!

BB Creams are pretty much a product in its own category - not quite foundations but not quite skincare products either since they're really much more of a blend of the two.

Despite that, I still treat a BB Cream as a makeup product and apply treatment and SPF lotion before applying BB Cream, even it has SPF in it already.

BB Creams are iffy though because even some that are aimed at people with acne-prone skin contain oil, and may even break people out. And some others, (which for me is a pet peeve) only have sheer to light coverage.

However if you're curious, some really good lines to try besides Dr. Jart are BRTC, Skin79, and Missha - some of these actually have medium coverage, depending on which BBCream within the line you choose. Ones I've heard many good things about, especially for acne prone skin are BRTC's Perfect Recover Balm, which is full coverage and aimed for acne prone skin, Skin79's Hot Pink Super Plus Beblesh Balm Triple Functions, and Missha's M Perfect Cover BB Cream.

As for consistency, BRTC's Perfect Recover and Missha's M Perfect Cover are pretty thick and full coverage. Skin79's Hot Pink one has a lighter consistency and is medium coverage. Not sure if any of these are oil free though.

I use Missha's M Signature Real Complete BB Cream, which is medium-full coverage, with a liquid consistency. I like it, and might get the Skin79 Hot Pink after I'm done with this.

As for the Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse - I've never tried it but it's only because it contains so many comedogenic ingredients. It's made for drier skins, and if it helps moisturize your skin (and not break you out!) then kudos to you!

I recently looked into the popular BB creams like Misha etc. and was so intrigued when I began researching them. They seemed so amazing: acne help + makeup? Where do I sign up?? But of course my research led me to see they had comedogenic ingredients so I never tried them.

Yeah... BB Creams tend to have some ingredients that people are probably acne prone to. But then again, BB creams come from Asia, which has its own sets of rules and criteria for skincare and cosmetics. One difference is that the attitude there is that oil isn't necessarily bad for acne; that acne treatments that have oil aren't a huge problem. Also, there tends to be a bigger trust in "cosmeceutical" companies - a portmanteau of cosmetics and pharmaceutical - because there's a trust in products with scientific backing (Dr. Jart, Skin79). There's also, of course, a big market for products with botanical and natural ingredients too (The Face Shop, Skin Food) - and if it's crossed with scientific research (like BRTC) they sell. Some companies are even trying to secure patents for their formulations.

When it comes to choosing BB creams though... it's really like choosing foundations - you just have to try and find one that works. I bought a full size Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream, then found out it broke me out. I also tried and bought sample sizes of Dr. Young, BRTC, Skin79, Missha, Dr. Jart, The Face Shop until I found a BB cream I liked. Of course though, you can sample them in store if you live in New York City and go to Manhattan and Flushing's Chinatown...

I've actually found some BB Creams that have oils and silicones but don't break me out at all. I think it's more about the formulation, than the standalone ingredients themselves, that make BB Creams work for acne prone skin.

Edited by adalyn

It wasn't oils, it was other stuff and I don't recall what they were off the top of my head. They also don't get great ratings on MUA. Some of the reviews...I knew I wouldn't like them from what people said. Still an intriguing concept though. If I could get samples, I'd try them.

"Skin79's Hot Pink Super Plus Beblesh Balm Triple Functions" Yessssss!

I have used this BB Cream, and it was the most popular one among Korean women last year :) And it is really reasonably-priced: http://www.amazon.com/SKIN79-Super-Beblesh-Triple-Function/dp/B0020ZEA40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326164475&sr=8-1

I like BB cream, and my boyfriend has said he really likes the way it looks (without prompting, so it's for serious). Basically, it is light and dewy. I find it makes me look a bit washed out (which is saying a lot, I'm half-Irish and super-pale). But I like it! It hasn't broken me out, and I agree with the poster above who said it is nice for summer. Basically, what you want to do is take a big (quarter-sized) blob of it and rub it into your skin like a moisturizer when your skin is still damp. You can definitely use a powder over it if you need to blot throughout the day, but it's not the best product to layer with. I'd say the coverage is medium/medium-light.

Personally, I love MAC products. My go-to is still Studio Sculpt with a mist of Fix+ if I overdo it. And I'm a firm believer in the power of SK-II products to treat problematic skin, although I have yet to try their foundation. Good luck! :)

I love bb cream. I can't stand foundation anymore, it feels so thick and heavy and gross to me now.

I do treat it like a makeup product, not skincare, like adalyn said, and it goes over my lotion and sunscreen. I actually mix the bb cream with a primer prior to application, and for primer I just use the bb boomer from Missha.

I've tried the Missha M Perfect Cover and the Signature Real Complete, and also Etude House Precious Minerals. I like them all so far, none of them break me out. I wouldn't say the coverage is super heavy, though it's pretty easy to layer. It's better for me for evening skin tone/covering pores.

Like the previous poster said, some of the ingredients are a bit iffy. I've noticed that some BB creams are really rich and feels almost like foundation. From past experience my face looked quite greasy after putting it on.

Be careful when purchasing BB creams because some are SO white!

I bought some from a few different brands e.g Etude and Missha and seriously, I looked like a ghost!

My korean friends also had the same problems that I had too.

Also, make sure to apply only a tiny amount and in natural light.

Definately try the testers before purchasing.