Notifications
Clear all

A Word On Tca Cross Post-Care: Dry Scab Versus Wet Wound

MemberMember
(@cyrano-de-beakiswack)

Posted : 12/13/2011 10:07 am

I just wanted to start a topic that can definitively answer a common question people have about TCA Cross: Should I let the wound scab or keep it moist? I've seen arguments on the board for both sides, but after trying both ways, I can pretty confidently say that moist healing is the way to go.

When I had TCA Cross for the first time I let my wounds scab over as per the instructions of many on this board. I ended up being reasonably happy with the results, and I can't say for sure that I would have gotten better results if I had kept the wounds moist, BUT I had to endure that awful period where my scabs fell off to leave bigger holes in my face than were there originally. Then, I dealt with constant skin peeling as the wounds healed themselves- to my mind now, all of these dead layers of skin might have "stuck" to the wound and plumped it up better if I had a way to prevent them from drying out. Disclaimer- all of this is hihgly unscientific...the scientific stuff will follow shortly.

Now I've had a second TCA Cross session and was explicitly told by the dermatologist to keep the wound moist with Vaseline for about 1.5 weeks after the Cross session. It's been a week, and I think the wounds are healing much better than before thanks to the moisture. No scabs have formed, just thin little membrane-like crusts that seem to go away every time I wash my face. The upshot of it is, having tried both ways, I think I can say that TCA Cross wounds SHOULD be kept moist to augment healing and scar modification.

Here's a quick youtube vid that highlights the advantages of moist wound healing:

...the part about granulation and re-ephitelization (sp) is particularly relevant to those of us who want to fill in scars.

the literature on this is pretty conclusive as well. So, I've said my piece. If you want to try and maximize your TCA Cross results, Don't let the wound scab over! Keep the Vaseline handy for a while afterwards!

-Cyrano

imSpino and Ommmmmm liked
MemberMember
(@mr-don)

Posted : 12/13/2011 10:17 am

Doctors on realself say wounds heal best if you prevent scabbing by keeping them moist.

Ommmmmm liked
MemberMember
(@cyrano-de-beakiswack)

Posted : 12/15/2011 1:44 pm

I know! It's actually pretty much the consensus on any non-acne scarring related website. But for some reason, lots of people seem to let their tca cross wounds scab. so I just wanted to point out that we crossers should abide by the normal rules for wound healing too.

Ommmmmm liked
MemberMember
(@pumpkin21)

Posted : 11/16/2013 7:55 am

Has anyone else tried this, do you simply keep treated area moist by covering it with vaseline?

MemberMember
(@sosowie)

Posted : 01/24/2015 2:47 pm

Fascinating topic for discussion.
Any other more experienced members willing to weigh in?

MemberMember
(@mfd87)

Posted : 10/19/2015 7:22 am

I wounder if MEBO the ointment for burns could work after having the cross ?

MemberMember
(@jes7)

Posted : 10/19/2015 4:39 pm

Interesting idea. I haven't read any TCA Cross study where this has been investigated. Most of the articles refer the use of antibiotic "ointment" and sunscreen. Nearly all refer to the formation of a "crust" in the days following treatment. Not sure what the difference is between crust and scab???

Personally I have just applied an antibacterial cream on first day then a moisturizer/sunscreen subsequently. Scabs/crusts seem to be very light anyway; just little slightly darker flecks that last a week or so. Although I did a double application on one area that did have more of a scab and lasted a couple of weeks before falling off.

MemberMember
(@dan34)

Posted : 11/21/2015 5:24 am

Bump. I'm doing TCA Cross in a week and want to know if I should apply aquaphor to the scars to keep them moist or do nothing and let them scab. Would love more insight.

Ommmmmm liked
MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 11/21/2015 1:28 pm

I think keeping them moist and not letting them scab is best. I got this info from doctors on Real Self. Also, when you get laser resurfacing or dermabrasion doctors recommend tokeep moist and never let it scab and if it does never pick at it. Keep it as long as possible and let it fall off by itself.

MemberMember
(@arl505)

Posted : 01/11/2016 11:22 am

I'm currently trying This method and using mrm msm cream over the treated area. So far I think the results are turning out better Then when i tried without the cream.
I'm also using skinMD shielding lotion over the top of any Skin care products i use now. I love it!
As a test I'm using the msm cream on the left side and bio oil on the right.
skinMD over both.