Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LiveLaughFart

What Causes Acne?

I know food affects acne, but what type of imbalance do we have in our bodies that makes us not able to eat junk food? We know that other people eat junk food without breaking out, so their body is working perfectly fine. But, what is wrong with our bodies that we cannot eat the same food without breaking out??

Please can someone get to the root of the problem? Or at least give an educated guess.

Hi, It really depends on the individual. Food was never a root cause of my acne ( I am clear now, please see my success story in that thread), however it was a cause of sinuses, which in turn were the result for some of my cystic acne. I see many posts on here about all sorts of diets and many people recommend different things that work for them and what can cause acne to them. Food allergens can result in acne as a side effect, among other things. Many doctors say that you should not eat junk food as it slows down or prohibits your liver from breaking things down. The result of not breaking things down and flushing it out of the waste system (anus or urine), is that it can be excreted through other means, that is your skin. That however is different from person to person, and it usually has to do with food intolerance (AKA food allergies) OR not getting the correct minerals and vitamins your (i stress your) liver needs to properly function (a doctors diagnoses would best for this). If you believe food is the main source of your acne I would highly recommend seeing an allergist.

Now here is a side note that I find that has helped me, may not help you but worth reading. I am from a culture that is non-european, and my relatives never knew what soap was until about 200 years ago. I am a rare bird when it comes to soaps and hot water showers, lol, it just was never a part of my generations life style. I took a step back from the social means of being "clean", and took a challenge. It would be similar to the "cave man" challenge, which means no hot water, no soaps, and short baths or showers. This believe it or not cleared my skin in no time, made my skin uber soft and I looked flawless (as I do today). I finally realized that instead of giving into the "clean" of this society thinks, I needed to go back to my roots and listen to my skin at the same time. I understand that I am in a rare area when it comes to this approach and how it has cured my acne, but it may in fact help you as well. I know some people have had success (white, black, asian, whatever) but some have not had the results either.

Hope this can help you explore future options to finding your cause.

Edited by steven m jacobson

Hi, It really depends on the individual. Food was never a root cause of my acne ( I am clear now, please see my success story in that thread), however it was a cause of sinuses, which in turn were the result for some of my cystic acne. I see many posts on here about all sorts of diets and many people recommend different things that work for them and what can cause acne to them. Food allergens can result in acne as a side effect, among other things. Many doctors say that you should not eat junk food as it slows down or prohibits your liver from breaking things down. The result of not breaking things down and flushing it out of the waste system (anus or urine), is that it can be excreted through other means, that is your skin. That however is different from person to person, and it usually has to do with food intolerance (AKA food allergies) OR not getting the correct minerals and vitamins your (i stress your) liver needs to properly function (a doctors diagnoses would best for this). If you believe food is the main source of your acne I would highly recommend seeing an allergist.

Now here is a side note that I find that has helped me, may not help you but worth reading. I am from a culture that is non-european, and my relatives never knew what soap was until about 200 years ago. I am a rare bird when it comes to soaps and hot water showers, lol, it just was never a part of my generations life style. I took a step back from the social means of being "clean", and took a challenge. It would be similar to the "cave man" challenge, which means no hot water, no soaps, and short baths or showers. This believe it or not cleared my skin in no time, made my skin uber soft and I looked flawless (as I do today). I finally realized that instead of giving into the "clean" of this society thinks, I needed to go back to my roots and listen to my skin at the same time. I understand that I am in a rare area when it comes to this approach and how it has cured my acne, but it may in fact help you as well. I know some people have had success (white, black, asian, whatever) but some have not had the results either.

Hope this can help you explore future options to finding your cause.

So do you think a doctor or a food allergist would help me find what's wrong with my body? I could have some weird disease i dont know about thats causing my acne but i personally have gotten clear with a strict diet but its very hard and you have no comfort from food.

I like the caveman approach, i have been trying to take showers will cool water but it is not comforting,,i guess i need to try to find something that will comfort me other than food and hot showers haha.

But I have been thinking about seeing a food allergist tester but, i feel like im allergic to so many thingss what if he/she doesn't find out all my acne causes...do you think a holistic doc would help, idk who i am suppost to go to for this?

I don't believe in junk food causing acne.. You guys can argue but I still don't believe in it. Hormones causes acne, you get stressed, cortisone gets secreted and you get acne. Spicy foods causes acne as well. Mostly it's areas that produce high levels of oil, that's why you only get acne on your face, chest and back, not your arms or hands.

So do you think a doctor or a food allergist would help me find what's wrong with my body? I could have some weird disease i dont know about thats causing my acne but i personally have gotten clear with a strict diet but its very hard and you have no comfort from food.

I like the caveman approach, i have been trying to take showers will cool water but it is not comforting,,i guess i need to try to find something that will comfort me other than food and hot showers haha.

But I have been thinking about seeing a food allergist tester but, i feel like im allergic to so many thingss what if he/she doesn't find out all my acne causes...do you think a holistic doc would help, idk who i am suppost to go to for this?

I would highly recommend going to an allergist and letting them know that food has adverse effects on your skin, that will be enough for them to go ahead with a food allergen screening, they will most likely implore a standard scratch test for the top 10 allergens too. Knowing for a fact what you are allergic to helps a lot, not only with the side effects and tailoring your diet to what you can consume, but to also stress levels, its a comfort in itself just knowing what affects you.

I don't believe in junk food causing acne.. You guys can argue but I still don't believe in it. Hormones causes acne, you get stressed, cortisone gets secreted and you get acne. Spicy foods causes acne as well. Mostly it's areas that produce high levels of oil, that's why you only get acne on your face, chest and back, not your arms or hands.

Excuse me? we in no way are arguing here about food, we are simply discussing it as a possible side effect, which is well documented by many allergists that acne is indeed a side effect of allergies. the hardest part is determining how this effects each individual, what effects one doesnt necessarily effect the other. this forum is here for people to help each other out with their own experiences, not to bash or deter someone from asking questions. I would like to help others here and give some opinions and advice on acne, my recommendations might not help everyone but they are just their to help one explore new options and routes that may lead to success.

I would highly recommend going to an allergist and letting them know that food has adverse effects on your skin, that will be enough for them to go ahead with a food allergen screening, they will most likely implore a standard scratch test for the top 10 allergens too. Knowing for a fact what you are allergic to helps a lot, not only with the side effects and tailoring your diet to what you can consume, but to also stress levels, its a comfort in itself just knowing what affects you.

Excuse me? we in no way are arguing here about food, we are simply discussing it as a possible side effect, which is well documented by many allergists that acne is indeed a side effect of allergies. the hardest part is determining how this effects each individual, what effects one doesnt necessarily effect the other. this forum is here for people to help each other out with their own experiences, not to bash or deter someone from asking questions. I would like to help others here and give some opinions and advice on acne, my recommendations might not help everyone but they are just their to help one explore new options and routes that may lead to success.

lol wut? I think you need to reread what I wrote. I don't think you understand what bashing is. I simply stated my opinion, paranoid much? Didn't I just tell you the reasons why you're getting acne?

lol wut? I think you need to reread what I wrote. I don't think you understand what bashing is. I simply stated my opinion, paranoid much? Didn't I just tell you the reasons why you're getting acne?

well your hormones can get imbalanced by what you eat.

Maybe there are people who can eat junk food without getting a breakout, but that junk just affects them in another way. It's not called junk food for nothing, and I personally can't see the excitement over eating stuff that you KNOW is bad for you. Is that comforting? Knowing that wheather or not I get acne that stuff is gonna clog my arteries or mess up my vitamin balance or just give me really really poor nutrition?

If you get reactions to a lot of foods I would suggest you find a good allergician and go and do some testing. Then you'll know for sure what's going on in your body. And there are so many raw foodists and clean living people who've healed themselves from allergies, i think there's a good possibility for you to heal.

For finding inner comfort: going to therapy. doing yoga and meditate.

I know food affects acne, but what type of imbalance do we have in our bodies that makes us not able to eat junk food? We know that other people eat junk food without breaking out, so their body is working perfectly fine. But, what is wrong with our bodies that we cannot eat the same food without breaking out??

Ever notice how there seems to always be a 'walk' for diabetes happening these days? How there's always a fundraiser for cancer going on? How commercials constantly advertise adding on another pill to your normal treatment for depression? This is a result of our shit food supply, and a we all suffer if we don't take care of our bodies in one way or another.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary

Yes, hormones cause acne. What do you think happens when you eat something? Hormonal changes occur. Insulin is released, along with cortisol in many cases, glucagon is present if you're low-carbing, if you're eating zinc, you're preventing endogenous testosterone from it's untimely conversion into DHT, etc. etc. etc. How out of touch with reality do you have to be to not believe diet is a factor in acne?

When you eat stuff, stuff happens.

Yes, I would suggest going to a naturopath or holistic doctor. Going to one helped me a lot -- my acne was highly due to imbalanced hormones and liver taxation. I went to derms for years, but the issue I have with them is that they simply address the topsoil, if you will, without looking into the root causes. A holistic approach makes MUCH more sense.

As for where it comes from... I have no idea. I refuse to believe diet has NO bearing on skin; our food nowadays is so horribly unnutritious (sic) and processed, there's no way it DOESN'T have an adverse affect on our bodies - and our skin is our biggest organ, after all.

Good luck. <3

Yes, hormones cause acne. What do you think happens when you eat something? Hormonal changes occur. Insulin is released, along with cortisol in many cases, glucagon is present if you're low-carbing, if you're eating zinc, you're preventing endogenous testosterone from it's untimely conversion into DHT, etc. etc. etc. How out of touch with reality do you have to be to not believe diet is a factor in acne?

sorry just a quick question, does that mean zinc is bad? Or is endogenous testosterone meant to be prevented from conversion (sorry was just interested in this part)

Maybe there are people who can eat junk food without getting a breakout, but that junk just affects them in another way. It's not called junk food for nothing, and I personally can't see the excitement over eating stuff that you KNOW is bad for you. Is that comforting? Knowing that wheather or not I get acne that stuff is gonna clog my arteries or mess up my vitamin balance or just give me really really poor nutrition?

If you get reactions to a lot of foods I would suggest you find a good allergician and go and do some testing. Then you'll know for sure what's going on in your body. And there are so many raw foodists and clean living people who've healed themselves from allergies, i think there's a good possibility for you to heal.

For finding inner comfort: going to therapy. doing yoga and meditate.

But what about the people that don't suffer anything once they eat unhealthy? There are people like this. What do you think has to be wrong with someone's body that they get acne when eating unhealthy?

I have done the raw diet before, it cleared me 100% but other things happened, like my nails got super thin and broke off and my enamel on my teeth weekened..and it's not a diet that is healthy for the long term because we need to eat meat, and raw vegetables are bad for our digestive system.

what food has zinc? And does eating zinc prevent breakouts?

Yes, I would suggest going to a naturopath or holistic doctor. Going to one helped me a lot -- my acne was highly due to imbalanced hormones and liver taxation. I went to derms for years, but the issue I have with them is that they simply address the topsoil, if you will, without looking into the root causes. A holistic approach makes MUCH more sense.

As for where it comes from... I have no idea. I refuse to believe diet has NO bearing on skin; our food nowadays is so horribly unnutritious (sic) and processed, there's no way it DOESN'T have an adverse affect on our bodies - and our skin is our biggest organ, after all.

Good luck. <3

I'm going to once my insurance starts working...that is, if hollistic doctors take insurance. Btw, did having imbalanced hormones make your skin really oily?

I totally agree with you, topicals dont get the the root of the problem..your diet is the root of the problem for acne.

You're speaking as though it's the same for everyone. Spicy food has no effect on me but junk food does...

I'm going to once my insurance starts working...that is, if hollistic doctors take insurance. Btw, did having imbalanced hormones make your skin really oily?

I totally agree with you, topicals dont get the the root of the problem..your diet is the root of the problem for acne.

My skin was sort of oily, but it's hard for me to recall; it was just so damn broken out. Ha.

Come to think of it -- no, it was more dry. BUT i was using Epiduo (BP + adalpalene) at the time, so that more than likely had an effect. If your is oily, it's possible it's from hormones; they can do all SORTS of wacky things.

Good on ya for going to the naturo -- I bet it'll help. :]

But what about the people that don't suffer anything once they eat unhealthy? There are people like this. What do you think has to be wrong with someone's body that they get acne when eating unhealthy?

I have done the raw diet before, it cleared me 100% but other things happened, like my nails got super thin and broke off and my enamel on my teeth weekened..and it's not a diet that is healthy for the long term because we need to eat meat, and raw vegetables are bad for our digestive system.

I don't think there are people whose bodies can eat junk foods and not get any side effects. I simply don't. Thinking about how what we eat are the building blocks from which we create new cells in our bodies. If you build a house with really cheap and crappy material it can still be the flashiest, trendiest house on the block - but a few decades down the line it'll probably look a loot less attractive or even be hazardous to live in. That's how I see it. You can't cut corners when it comes to living a healthy life.

I have to say i disagree with how you use the word "our": there are lots of people who live very healthy lives without meat. There is no such thing as "our" digestive system, we're all different. Some bodies might need meat whilst some do perfectly fine without.

(Having said that we're all different doesn't mean I think there are bodies that can thrive from fries and gravy.)

Edited by CocnutCaramel