Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
teresa*

Red, Large, Painful Help

Hi guys,

I have a massive spot on both cheeks of my face, they are soo big and painful (blind spots) that the area all around them is red so half my cheek on each side is pretty much red. Im desperate to reduce the redness and size of the spot by wednesday as ive got a christmas party to go to and the way my skin is looking right now im absoloutly dreading it, i look like ive been beaten up!!!!

Any of you know any tips on how to reduce inflammation, redness and size of blind spots (ones without a head). I read somewhere putting a ice cube on it reduces inflammation so just did that for fifteen minutes.

thanks for your help

Neem oil is great for inflammation and cysts, though I don't know if it works fast enough. It's meant only for spots and not all over btw. Manuka honey is also wonderful at reducing inflammation. I had a horrible breakout in September on my chin and started manuka masks and it healed so quickly within a matter of days. Taking aspirin may also help (NOT ASPIRIN MASK) because it's used for inflammation and stuff. A huge factor is DO NOT TOUCH your skin. Do not pick or squeeze or rub your cheeks. This creates more irritation and redness and swelling. I've tried the icecube thing and I don't think it does anything good because it constricts blood flow. The point is NOT to constrict blood flow, because this would actually delay healing due to less blood, oxygen, and nutrients flowing to that area. You actually want to reduce the histamine response which is responsible for swelling. Swelling is actually your body's response to protect an injured area, for example if you sprain your ankle it swells. The same is with injured tissue. Histamines will create swelling so that further damage isn't done. It sounds like these things are pretty painful and swollen, so don't try to make them go away faster by squeezing and stuff.

Even maybe taking an anti-histamine will help. I've done that before when I had cysts, and it really helped. Actually, a few weeks ago I was sick with a cold and I also had a few of these huge hard lumps/cyst things on my neck, and I took some "sudafed" and it actually reduced the swelling on my neck and not just my sinuses.

I hope this helps you and you don't stress out and have it worsen!!! Best of luck!!

ice is great because it constricts blood vessels, which is what you want because you want the inflammation to subside. i realize i'm completely contradicting the person before me lol. but since you're looking for a quick fix, i'd say do the ice/antihistamine thing but nothing else so you can get through your special event. absolutely don't pick or squeeze because then you'll really look beat up. (but i do agree that ice is not really helping to fix the lesion in itself.) do it morning and night. however i think you should put it in a paper towel or plastic bag, direct contact could be irritating to sensitive skin. also, guzzle some green tea. and i don't mean arizona. the real stuff, no sugar. it has anti-inflammatory properties. in fact you should incorporate it into your regular diet to give your skin a boost.

Thanks so much for all the tips guys! I know what you mean about not picking.. its so hard not to sometimes though :s they have finally reduced but im left with a sort of red scar where they were, maybe that will fade in time. Ive been on antibiotics for a week now so im hoping they will start taking effect in a few weeks.

I was actually wondering about herbal teas and if they are benificial. I dont drink any at the moment but will give green tea a try, heard so much good stuff about it! Any others that are good for skin too?

I know that some people SWEAR by green tea. It is really beneficial because of the antixidants, but for me my body can't handle the caffeine. I remember drinking a few cups a day of green tea, and I broke out in these tiny tiny bumps on my forehead. I have a picture on my blog from a few months ago of the break out. I drink non-caffeinated tea. Caffeine triggers an adrenaline rush (hence why people take it to 'wake up'), and the adrenaline is actually creating a stress response in your body. Stress is a HUGE HUGE HUGE culprit to my acne. The last few months, I can narrow down when I was really stressed out, because I broke out in these huge cyst pimple things.