Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
guillotineSavvy

Acne Linking To Eating Disorders?

Forgive me for the rant I'm about to go on:

So in the past few months, my acne has gotten really bad. All through my life, it's been there, but never so bothersome that I would seek out a dermatologist.

Then, like I said, my acne got really bad. Not just "oh, better put on a load of make-up" bad, but "I won't let my own parents see me" bad. It's starting to hurt me a lot emotionally, I'm becoming very withdrawn, I don't like standing close to people, and I avoid mirrors like the plague. But, the main thing that I've noticed, and that scares me a lot, is that I've been extremely bad with my eating since my acne worsened. A few days ago, I started throwing up after meals. I've also been very sporadic with my eating: I'll eat nothing but peaches for a day, then the next day have a whole cake and nothing else, then after that I'll eat eggs and protein shakes all day.

It's worth noting that I have had this behaviour in the past, but to a much lesser degree that was mostly consisting of thoughts rather than actions. My mother also suffered from anorexia when she was a teenager, but I'm fairly certain that my problems are stemming more from self-confidence due to my acne.

I've heard countless times that eating disorders are more about control than wanting to be thin (true, I'm quite satisfied at my current weight). It's making me think, because acne is such an uncontrollable thing, that maybe I'm subconsciously trying to compensate through eating? I'd like to hear what you guys have to think.

I agree with you. I used to have an eating disorder a few years ago. I struggled with anorexia and was hospitalized for it. Now recently I've been developing bad acne. We were learning in a psych class I'm currently taking that one factor that goes into developing an eating disorder is a hormone imbalance. Hormone imbalances also result in acne. So it makes sense a person could have both. I found this article when I googled it talking about how bulimia can be caused by an imbalance of sex hormones too. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/60346.php

I guess this thread is for me too.

Ever since I read the Holistic section of this forum, I cut out 60% of foods from my diet (dairy, grains, wheat,gluten,sugar and etc). I got paranoid over my diet and acne triggers. I still do believe that certain food can aggravate acne. I'm taking Spiro, so my skin is quite improved and cleared ( it's not perfect tho). But I thought that diet changes would help me better along with Spiro and topicals. The result was I lost nearly 12lbs. I didn't need to lose weight tho. Now I look anorexic, I don't know what to eat to regain my normal weight.I look as skinny as I did in 13. When I was 14-19 my weight was normal (123-126lbs), I had curves, nice body. But now it's all gone, just skin and bones. I don't know if this is considered eating disorder, but I look really bony right now, I'm embarrassed to wear summer tops or shorts,coz of my skinny body. Pple started making comments about my weight. I'm really frustrated and angry at the same time. I hate acne and being skinny. Instead of helping myself, I made another problem. I need some advice. Sorry for venting.

Edited by amy91

omg im the same way. I would eat a few bannannas and an orange one day then the next day i would eat crap. I'm so cautious and think so much about every single thing i put into my mouth because i know food causes acne.

I change my diet so often too, some days i don't eat, some days i just eat only meat and cooked veggies, some days i eat all raw, some days i eat weird diets, i can not ever eat a normal diet like a normal human being.

It's a never ending cycle. I wish i could just stick to a diet but i feel like everything will break me out. i even think green peas will break me out and cooked veggies will break me out..its so frustrating. I wish i could go back in time to before i had acne because having acne really daamaged my skin.

My skin will never be the same and that thought alone depresses me.

I'm on this one too =\ I'm scared of food! I feel so guilty to eat anything and if I even eat a meal like a regular person, I feel so guilty about it and really angry that I ate. Once I even ate a slice of pizza and made myself throw up because I thought it was going to break me out=\ I have developed this obsession where I love to watch people eat. It's so weird. I get depressed because I can eat food =( currently I'm making myself do a 4 day apple fast because I went out of town this last weekend and ate regular food.

It really was the holistic forum =( Im trying to follow it as best as I can but now I think I'm developing an eating disorder

Once I even ate a slice of pizza and made myself throw up because I thought it was going to break me out=\

Hopefully I'm not being out of line here, but there's been evidence that bulimia actually triggers acne (among other things). Making yourself throw up is very, very bad for your skin/body.

So the OP is suggesting that acne might be a trigger for EDs? I wouldn't be surprised about that either. If your face goes "wrong," I guess you naturally want to compensate by working on your body, but it's easy to take that too far. Sometimes I wonder where the line between "eating disorder" and "disordered eating" really lies. I'm very careful about my diet for example and probably have some disordered eating habits, but I've never identified as having an ED. I feel like having a regimented but routine diet helps keep me away from ED territory. I see a lot of people try way too hard way too fast with their diets, cutting out virtually everything or just having a few pieces of celery a day, and most of those people can last for a week tops before they break down and gorge on tons of junk food... and then inevitably hate themselves all over again. Repeat the cycle enough times, and they end up with a host of health problems/really fucked up metabolism - it's a vicious cycle that worries me a lot.

Once I even ate a slice of pizza and made myself throw up because I thought it was going to break me out=\

Hopefully I'm not being out of line here, but there's been evidence that bulimia actually triggers acne (among other things). Making yourself throw up is very, very bad for your skin/body.

So the OP is suggesting that acne might be a trigger for EDs? I wouldn't be surprised about that either. If your face goes "wrong," I guess you naturally want to compensate by working on your body, but it's easy to take that too far. Sometimes I wonder where the line between "eating disorder" and "disordered eating" really lies. I'm very careful about my diet for example and probably have some disordered eating habits, but I've never identified as having an ED. I feel like having a regimented but routine diet helps keep me away from ED territory. I see a lot of people try way too hard way too fast with their diets, cutting out virtually everything or just having a few pieces of celery a day, and most of those people can last for a week tops before they break down and gorge on tons of junk food... and then inevitably hate themselves all over again. Repeat the cycle enough times, and they end up with a host of health problems/really fucked up metabolism - it's a vicious cycle that worries me a lot.

Probably. I just felt so guilty about having it in my body I wanted it out.

Yup and yup. Sounds EXACTLY like me. All the stuff that made me this way was honestly the holistic forum. Everything i learned about the way I eat was through there. I'm not trying to bash, but that's for really strong people. It's so hard =\ I feel like a loser whining baby saying that but it's true.... And now I feel guilty about what I eat. Im even afraid to eat carrots because "oh it's a starch" and im scared to eat eggs. I'm scared to eat this and that... It's just hard. I just want to be clear.....and then I get people telling me that apple fasting is sooooooooo good for you. Our bodies are made for this. And then I hear how that's the worst thing a person can do and i get all stressed out because i don't know what to do. But I know one things for sure, stress during a detox is a no no.

=(

Yup and yup. Sounds EXACTLY like me. All the stuff that made me this way was honestly the holistic forum. Everything i learned about the way I eat was through there. I'm not trying to bash, but that's for really strong people. It's so hard =\ I feel like a loser whining baby saying that but it's true.... And now I feel guilty about what I eat. Im even afraid to eat carrots because "oh it's a starch" and im scared to eat eggs. I'm scared to eat this and that... It's just hard. I just want to be clear.....and then I get people telling me that apple fasting is sooooooooo good for you. Our bodies are made for this. And then I hear how that's the worst thing a person can do and i get all stressed out because i don't know what to do. But I know one things for sure, stress during a detox is a no no.

=(

This is probably going to sound like the most logically inconsistent advice ever, but I think that looking to the internet for definitive answers is almost always a very bad plan. While there's plenty of good information out there, there's also a lot of crap and sometimes it's hard to tell which is which, especially if you are desperate and willing to try(/believe) almost anything to beat your acne. If you want to work on your diet, then see a dietician or at least nutritionist, or pick up a book on nutrition that doesn't promise magic rapid weight loss tips or from some doctor with a hokey degree.

Moreover, just because diet helped clear acne for some people does not mean it will necessarily clear acne for you - everybody's body is different, so following somebody else's diet isn't guaranteed to have the same magical effects for you. Acne has multiple causes, diet is only one of them - some can clear acne through diet because diet is the biggest culprit for their acne, others may have some sort of bacterial infection, still others may just be unlucky and have super wonky hormones. I tend to think maintaining a clean/healthy diet is important no matter what, but I think that it might end up being really frustrating for somebody who, having decided that diet must be the sole trigger of their acne, tries to regulate said diet accordingly only to find their efforts all in vain (at least as far as their acne is concerned).

Edited by hotburrito

Yeah =\ it's just that I think that through diet, you can cure everything, even crazy hormones... I've done the fasting thing before and it always helps. Once I even ate super healthy for a few months, and I mean dead clean. My severe acne did start healing, but it was also one of the most depressing times of my life =( but I'm scared shitless of food :(

If you can't control your acne you control your food. Makes perfect sense for a perfectionist. OCD also goes hand in hand with ED. As well as BDD. Trading one vice for another. It can be a endless cycle. I've been in recovery for years.....but it never goes away. I was diagnosed at 8 years of age-Slim Fast in your lunchbox. My parents were going through a publicized, brutal, divorce. Dad was leaving and Mom was medicating. I found comfort in control. Also the attention my sudden weight loss and restriction gave to me. Control. Giving ME more attention lessened the degree of the separation focus and put it back on me. I thought I had hatched the "perfect" plan. No. It's a mind disorder that prays on anxiety filled thoughts and fears. Wrecking havoc internally and externally. Once your in it's very hard to get out. Once your out you will be constantly reminded of your weakness. Times of stress and difficulty can be consumed with perfection. I've learned not to take myself or others that damn serious. Be kind to one another-better yet be kind to YOU. Always, remember this- it is my favorite and helps me through dark ego-filled moments: "Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change" I have this tatted on my forearm. It is a little truth maxim found in the field of quantum physics. You control your thoughts which produce fear and stress. Choose to feel good.

I have no food allergies or intolerances, becoz I had a food allergie test 1 month ago. I guess everybody should do that.

It's actually not that difficult to find out what foods cause acne, if you break out the next day ( or after 1-2 days) then you're allergic to certain food. But if ur breakouts appear right before your perid ( every month, at the same time) then it's hormonal. The food we take stays in our system for only 3 days ( or even less).

I will never consume junk food, or proccessed food or too much sugar, even if I get cleared up 100%. But we have to keep our diet as adequate as we can, becoz we don't want to develop EDs or lose weight. Holistic forum is actually helpful source, but sometimes pple get really extreme with their diets ( for example some of them are fasting). We shouldn't listen to everyone, just avoid the most common triggers and cook healthy foods.

I'm underweight, so it's really difficult for me to gain weight and not harm my skin, but I try, I don't give up. Whatever it is, we should choose a diet that will provide enough calories for normal and healthy being.

P.S Actually my skin is improved and sort of clear becoz of Spiro, I believe that if I stop taking meds my acne will come back immediately,whatever I eat.

Edited by amy91

Yeah =\ that's true... I fast =( I'm fasting right now. I do this because I know it helps. And I learned it from the holistic section. It's just all overwhelming the foods that you can and can't eat.

Yeah =\ that's true... I fast =( I'm fasting right now. I do this because I know it helps. And I learned it from the holistic section. It's just all overwhelming the foods that you can and can't eat.

It's your choice of course, but if u think fasting is the solution ur wrong. U can't keep losing weight, it's not normal. Plus, it's not always becoz of food. The damaged body can't accept the food we take. The food itself doesn't cause acne, otherwise all pple would get breakouts from dairy, sugar,gluten and etc.

Like I said, we are all different, so are our reactions to certain foods, and if our pimples appear only before the period, then it has nothing to do with diets.

Actually eating healthy is a very important thing, but it cannot cure acne by itself, without any topicals, oral meds. It's not strong enough!

Edited by amy91

Yeah I'm just so torn on whats good and what isn't.... Everything just scares me

Betsy, have you actually seen a derma, a dietician/nutritionist, or even just a general practitioner? It might help you to get some information from actually accredited sources - they're the experts.

Edited by hotburrito

Nope! Just a doctor. She knew what I was doing as far as the fasting. She was even going to put me on accident but she told me to stop callig and seeing if the pledge cards arrived and she just never called me back lol

99% of what I read in the holistic section just sounds like a bad info-mercial. I'm not at all a believer in fasting, detox, etc.

I can't really describe how I feel about eating. It's like... usually I'm all about health, eating eggs, protein, supplements & all that (I've always been into fitness), but right after I eat, I get this horrible feeling that I know is dumb and stupid, like I have to get rid of it :/

I'm happy to know I'm not alone, but it sucks that we all have to deal with this!)

99% of what I read in the holistic section just sounds like a bad info-mercial. I'm not at all a believer in fasting, detox, etc.

I can't really describe how I feel about eating. It's like... usually I'm all about health, eating eggs, protein, supplements & all that (I've always been into fitness), but right after I eat, I get this horrible feeling that I know is dumb and stupid, like I have to get rid of it :/

I'm happy to know I'm not alone, but it sucks that we all have to deal with this!)

I guess it's the feeling of guilt and worry that we all get. I get that with something as simple as a banana or nuts or even a corn tortilla

Also I've developed this thing where I love to watch people eat. Especily delicious food that I can't have. Is that weird?

From my own experience, I definitely have found that I have started eating less this past year. In this past year I have been unhappy with my acne for large amounts of time - vastly more than any other years that I have had acne. I used to eat A LOT, and I mean a lot, thankfully I have a very fast metabolism so I'd never put the weight on, but I seem to be eating no where near as much as I did so I can see the link with feeling crap about acne and eating.

I have also found that its a sort of subconscious thing, if I am offered more food by anyone I almost instantly decline without thinking. Same thing for when I have the option of eating or not at certain times - I go with not eating without thinking about at all.

Strange thing is, I don't think about what I eat or worry about my weight or anything like that, I just don't seem to eat much, so much so that family members having started commenting on it a lot recently.

Its odd but what can I say, it happens to me at least, has anyone else felt a subconscious mindset concerning food like this?

No I just feel guilty about the food I eat. I really want to eat everything in the world and be free :(

I just did a three day apple fast and for dinner I ate a can of olives and a can of green beans and heated up tomato sauce and water because of didn't know what to make lol but I ate so much and i feel guilty now because after a fast I shouldn't have eaten so much and all the canned stuff has so much sodium :( I feel so ugly right now

No I just feel guilty about the food I eat. I really want to eat everything in the world and be free sad.png

I just did a three day apple fast and for dinner I ate a can of olives and a can of green beans and heated up tomato sauce and water because of didn't know what to make lol but I ate so much and i feel guilty now because after a fast I shouldn't have eaten so much and all the canned stuff has so much sodium sad.png I feel so ugly right now

Don't worry. You are not weird because you crave junk food. Your taste buds have become accustomed to the different types of ingredients and unhealthy chemicals found in processed foods. You are on a path to a healthy lifestyle which is a rarity in the United States. What you need to do is take a food allergy test. By using the process of elimination you will discover which foods you have developed an intolerance for. Your body desperately needs electrolytes and starving yourself is not the way to defeat acne.

No I just feel guilty about the food I eat. I really want to eat everything in the world and be free sad.png

I just did a three day apple fast and for dinner I ate a can of olives and a can of green beans and heated up tomato sauce and water because of didn't know what to make lol but I ate so much and i feel guilty now because after a fast I shouldn't have eaten so much and all the canned stuff has so much sodium sad.png I feel so ugly right now

Don't worry. You are not weird because you crave junk food. Your taste buds have become accustomed to the different types of ingredients and unhealthy chemicals found in processed foods. You are on a path to a healthy lifestyle which is a rarity in the United States. What you need to do is take a food allergy test. By using the process of elimination you will discover which foods you have developed an intolerance for. Your body desperately needs electrolytes and starving yourself is not the way to defeat acne.

Also I'm trying to use birth control as a method of controlling my acne but I crave SO much on it! :( yeah your right. I was on day three and I decided to eat. Tomorrow I'm going to make amazing healthy salads. It's so funny because I ate all that food, and now I'm starving!! I guess my body is just so hungry :( I feel bad=/ like I betrayed myself. I can never be satisfied whether i eat or not