Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys..

I'm 20 years old/ female and have been struggling with acne for the past 3 years. I have been on a strict acne diet (only organic, NO sugar other than fruit, anti-imflammatory, lots of superfoods. tons of leafy greens. Green drink in the morning chlorella, spirulina, lots of fresh herbs to flavour.. basically a whole foods diet. supplementing with a high dose of human strain probiotics, fish oil and a few other things. ) HOWEVER.. although I have seen an improvement in the severity of the cysts. I still have a horrible face.. Breakouts EVERYWHERE on my face.. forehead, temples, cheeks, jawling.. you name It I got it. And the scarring doesn't seem to fade. I use all natural products.. seabuckthorn oil to moistuize.. manuka honey maskes.. etc..

I'm so tired of living my life to prevent/treat my acne.

SO...

I got some tests at my naturopath done...

- Hormone testing (came back that there is a little excess estrogen throughout my whole cycle)

- Parisitology (by doctors data) .. which I am still waiting for the results.. it will test candida and parasites

- E95 food allergies panel (still waiting for the results)

- Heavy metal testing ( I will talk about this test for the rest of the post)

The heavy metals test was by doctor's data, and it was a provoked urine test for about 140 dollars

So I have these tests done and today I go in and they tell me that my results for the heavy metal test are in and I have very high lead levels, some mercury, and some thallium levels. However I am starting to get skeptical.. How on earth could I have gotten high lead levels? My parents were extremely into holistic health my whole life, I lived in a new house my whole life, no lead paints, no tainted pipes.. very clean living.. and my parents are doubtful.. and think maybe the lab tells all the patients they have high metals in their bodies.. My parents are skeptical because we did a hair analysis test as an experiment when I was younger and sent in two of the same hair samples (and told the lab they were from two different people.. one person who was sick and the other was healthy) and the lab gave two completely different results for each hair sample!! (sorry if that didn't make sense) .. anyways.. what are your guys thoughts on this? do you think I could be getting ripped off? Do any of you have experience with this?

Sorry for the long post. Any advice would help!!

I will also mention I have anxiety disorders.. Social anxiety and OCD (in the form of thoughts).. just for a little more info.

Thanks!!!

Allergy testing methods vary greatly and depending on the method used, you can test false positives for everything from water to toilet paper.

There's also other factors to consider such as a bum gut which could lead you to be absorbing more heavy metals from the environment and food than you should be. How often do you exercise? How often do you get adequate sunlight? Are you getting enough fat and protein in your diet?

Edited by chunkylard

I

Allergy testing methods vary greatly and depending on the method used, you can test false positives for everything from water to toilet paper.

There's also other factors to consider such as a bum gut which could lead you to be absorbing more heavy metals from the environment and food than you should be. How often do you exercise? How often do you get adequate sunlight? Are you getting enough fat and protein in your diet?

It's a strong possibility that the lead is coming from the supplements you're taking. The supplement industry is so very poorly regulated, and companies really don't have to prove their supplements are safe. Contamination is still very much a problem, especially with herbs/herbal supplements/Ayurvedic medicines (A report here.)

Also: Hair analysis tests are bogus, and no one can diagnose anything from this kind of test. (A meta-analysis here, and a well-written article about the subject here.)

Edited by a la mode

if your lead levels are truly high and the test is accurate and correct, start eating garlic, i have read studies done that proved garlic can help detox lead.

cilantro can help get rid of mercury, that has been proven more then once.

most of our fish today is contaminated with high levels of mercury due to burning fossil fuels, ditch your fish oil pills and limit fish to only small young ones,eat it once every 2 weeks or so, to be on the super safe side, who knows what else they will discover is in those fish in the years to come.

lead could also be in the water supply, i dont know how likely that is though, weren't lead pipes used for plumbing back in the day? get a filter or something.

look for any scientific data on the chlorella or spirulina, any manufactured food can be tainted with something, for example, most processed citrus fruit juices have aluminum in them, for the future, go completly unprocessed just eat the fruit itself.

It's a strong possibility that the lead is coming from the supplements you're taking. The supplement industry is so very poorly regulated, and companies really don't have to prove their supplements are safe. Contamination is still very much a problem, especially with herbs/herbal supplements/Ayurvedic medicines (A report here.)

Also: Hair analysis tests are bogus, and no one can diagnose anything from this kind of test. (A meta-analysis here, and a well-written article about the subject here.)

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

@ AO: I think it was the AlgaeCal brand that was made from oyster shell it, but lead has been found in both coral calcium and regular calcium. If you keep track of the FDA recalls and look at the Consumer Labs and Consumer Reports tests, you'll find that green tea, black cohosh, ginger, ginseng, St. Johns wort and plenty of the most popular supplements have a tendency of contamination. And yes, testing safety is for the most part voluntary.

As with natural detoxing agents, my dad told me a while ago that when he was a kid, creeping charlie tea was oftentimes used for lead poisoning. However, I would personally not go the natural route with something so serious as lead poisoning and go to a doctor that does/specializes in DMSA chelation.