Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KRW

New Here- An Intro And Help Requested

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forums and decided to finally join and post a bit. I am 31 yrs old and have just recently been hit with mild acne. It may seem mild to some of you, but going from not having acne at all to this at 31...just doesnt seem right!

Here is what I think is going on.

I did not start my period on my own when I was younger so by the time I was 18 yrs old an obgyn put me on birth control to try and get things started (which it did). I stayed on birth control from 18-26 when my husband and I decided we wanted to try for a baby. I got pregnant after only one cycle and was pregnant with baby #1, then breastfed for 18 months, 2 months later fell pregnant with baby #2 and breastfed for 17 months. I stopped breastfeeding in June and by the end of July things started going downhill for me. First it was one or two pimples, then 3-4 , now I have at any given time aprox 10-15 pimples and/or pustules along with a handful of red marks from things that have not totally healed. So, what I believe is going on is that for the first time ever my body is actually getting a chance to figure out hormones on it's own. I was on synthetic crap for 8 years then a hormonal rollercoaster while pregnant-breastfeeding-pregnant-breastfeeding and now my face is paying for it!

I have never had perfect skin. It was never uncommon for me to have a pimple or two, but nothing like this, EVER in my life before!

My fear is that it is getting worse (which it is) and I don't know just how bad it is going to get. My self confidence is in the toilet and I am so embaressed about my face. I am a Realtor so I see people face to face on a daily basis...and I wonder how they could possibly take me seriously as a professional with a face full of acne!

So- here is what I have been doing:

Washing morning and night with Cetaphil for Oily Skin

Going once a month to get a facial for extractions (and she usually uses glycolic products on me which make me peel a bit a few days after I see her)

Using Differin (just started this a week ago as the esthetician gave me some samples)

Using an epsom salt mask if I have something that looks like it is just begging to be popped. I will soak with the salts, then extract then soak again to make sure I got everything.

Supplements: Zinc, Essential fatty Acids, Multi-Vitamin

What I have tried that I did not feel worked for me: Liver Cleanse, Tea Tree Oil, Benzoyl Peroxide, Parasite Cleanse, Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda Mask (I actually burned my face with this!), aspirin & honey mask

I also have made some changes to my diet. The biggest one is replacing all fruit juice with water. This was huge for me because I LOVE juice- but I know sugar is a no-no for acne so I have given it up. I drink lemon and water first thing in the morning though, but other then that just water. Also, I have added an extra serving of fruit & veg into my day and cut out milk. The thing is- I know a lot of people think there is a connection with insulin and acne but I have had my glucose levels checked (both normal and fasting levels) and they were on the lower side of normal.

SO- I guess I a looking for advice and encouragement from others in my situation. I would love to figure out a way to regulate my hormones- what I am doing just doesnt seem to be working.

Here is a photo from before ever getting pregnant:

197479_7315295122_623700122_134042_5030_n.jpg

and now... ;(

_DSC0370.jpg

Your acne is actually not bad at all!

You're right, I'd even feel more confident if my skin was clearer but because it wasn't, I was always so down and paranoid that people are staring at my face.

I used all the products you can name! Differin didn't help nor did BP or Salicylic acid or all the over the counter products. (Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, Clearasil, Oxy.... etc).

I tried antibiotics, zinc and Roaccutane... also didn't really do much. It was more of a short-term thing.

I needed something natural that will permanently get rid of acne with no side effects and balance my hormones, so I came across Dermaforte.. it's an all natural and organic product, all the ingredients are natural and organic and since I've used it, it's reduced dryness, redness, inflammation, and I noticed old acne scars of mine have faded and are gone now.

*Moderator edit - URL removed. Read the board rules*

Wish you the best of luck rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the reply. I know it may not seem bad to some on here as they have severe acne, but for me its pretty bad. It also is not coming across as red or picking up the little ones in the camera... I just feel like I want to hide my face where ever I go!

Anyhow, I appreciate the link and I will defenitly check it out.

I've posted about this all over, but for me the only thing that has had a real impact on my acne is sulfur. A lot of people don't like the smell, but many products don't have a significant odor, and to my mind, if it helps my skin I don't care what it smells like!

You can buy sulfur spot treatments (i've used bye-bye blemish, acnefree, and clearisil--the reason i've used so many is that sulfur products are often hard to find). I'm currently using a sulfur bar soap made by adovia, and it works fairly well. If you have dry skin you're going to want to moisturize though. I've just found a liquid sulfur cleanser, made by a company called "pure nature." I'm going to try this, because bar soap is apparently detrimental to the skin.Adovia also makes a mineral mud mask that feels great and reduces swelling. And DDT makes a sulfur mask that I just ordered and am really excited about--this can probably also be used as a spot treatment. Anyway, that's just my advice--I hope it works for you!

You mentioned nothing about your diet. What is you diet like?

I'm on the clear skin diet and my skin is now 100% clear. Not one new pimple in 30 days. And believe me I was covered in new pimples everyday (approx. 3-4/day). My acne is definitely hormonal. See my sig for the diet and vitamins I take.

I have never read much about sulfur... I will read up on it, thanks.

As far as my diet goes, it wasn't really too bad to begin with. I did make some modifications (removed most dairy, replaced all fruit juices with water, added a bit more veggies in) but for the most part I was already eating fairly well. I do have a bit of a sweet tooth during certain times of the month so that has been a trying task to cut those things out. A normal day for me though consists of: 5 servings of fruit/veggies, the grains/starch that I do eat are whole wheat, multi-grain and/or sprouted grains, and the meat I eat is all naturally raised , grass fed, no hormones or drugs, purchased directly from a farmer or straight from nature (hubby is a hunter).

My biggest hurdle is exercise. I am seriously lacking in this department. I have always been thin and have never really exercised... I know it isnt just about weight maintenance , but I never worried too much about it becuase I am slim. Did exercise make a big difference for a lot of you?

I don't have any kids, so I can't speak from personal experience. But I do work in the beauty industry (and can relate to the how-can-they-take-me-seriously-like-this feeling) and have had dozens of clients complain of acne during pregnancy and post pregnancy and during and post breast feeding. So, maybe it just needs time to sort itself out?

And with eyes like those I wouldn't worry too much about anyone looking at a few blemishes.

Edited by Lola Burns

birth control taken for years can cause CANDIDA a fungal infection. look up candida or candida diet start taking pro biotics and the other supplements they speak of. i started a couple months ago and my skin was worse than yours and i have no acne left just a few red marks. it is the only thing that worked for me and i tried everything for years.

I tried the candida test (spitting in a cup) and it showed no yeast. I was surprised as I read most people fail but I did not. Is there an actual test teh doctor can do to check for that?