Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trytry

Long Term Results With Antibiotics ?

Did anyone have a long term success with antibiotics or did it return worse for everyone ? and if it did then why do doctors offer it ?

Took doxycycline 100 mg a day for 6 months. Took 3 months to go away, then eventually 2 months later the antibiotics failed and acne came back. Mind you, I was using proactive from 3 months in and ya...started getting cysts around my jawline.

I took every type of antibiotic, each for several months. The antibiotics completely cleared my skin but my acne ALWAYS came back full force after a few months. I actually ended up with cysts along my jaw line after all of those antibiotics and now my derm wants to put me on accutane. I dont think that anti biotics are a "cure" because it really only kills surface bacteria and does not fix the reall issue. Everyone is different and you may have a better experience than me. Good luck!

Not truuuuue some people keep it away forever even just after 2 months.....lucky bastards... My sister being one of them.....but yeah most of the time it will come back :P It probably wont come back worse but its still probably going to come back.

Edited by poi6

I took antibiotics (dorx, then doxycycline) for about 3 1/2 and didn't ween myself off, but my acne stayed away for about 6 months and just returned. But again, I didn't ween myself off properly so I'm going to try again and see if I have better results. I actually and going to pick up my prescription tomorrow.

Regardless if you ween yourself off... antibiotics are still usually a temporary solution .

Guest Timehealsall

Took doxycycline 100 mg a day for 6 months. Took 3 months to go away, then eventually 2 months later the antibiotics failed and acne came back. Mind you, I was using proactive from 3 months in and ya...started getting cysts around my jawline.

did the acne come back worse than before? I.E. did you develop a new form of acne?

did the acne come back worse than before? I.E. did you develop a new form of acne?

I'd say it was fairly severe in some spots then once I got sick of Proactiv not working, I went and got accutane in September. Now I'm completely clear, got off it December 21 2011. I have a YouTube link for my process. (vids are maybe 2 mins each) check your inbox.

Guest Timehealsall

I'd say it was fairly severe in some spots then once I got sick of Proactiv not working, I went and got accutane in September. Now I'm completely clear, got off it December 21 2011. I have a YouTube link for my process. (vids are maybe 2 mins each) check your inbox.

wait, so it was only severe AFTER you took antibiotics? Or did you have severe acne before taking oral antibiotics as well?

i also had worse acne after i started taking antibiotics.. before, i only had whiteheads but after taking antibiotics, i started having so many pustules :( i was given doxy and tamcocin for 4 weeks, then it got so much worse, and the doctor changes tamcocin to ciproxin. it didnt get any better so i went to another doctor and she gave me roaccutane and flagyl..there are no signs of allergies so i'm wondering if my acne is supposed to get worse because the meds are killing the bacteria or maybe i am already resistant to antibiotics :(

i took minocycline about 6 years ago and it worked really well. then a few years later it came back so my derm gave me amoxicillin and it did nothing then a year or so later i tried bactrim and ended up being allergic. i stopped taking birth control pills and my acne was good for about 2 years and then slowly started to come back. so last year i started taking doxy and have been on it ever since but am slowly weaning myself off of it. we shall see what happens.

wait, so it was only severe AFTER you took antibiotics? Or did you have severe acne before taking oral antibiotics as well?

I'd say it wasn't worse. But, the acne was relentless. Against proactive + doxycycline. I used the proactiv refining mask (every night as spot treatment) & tea tree oil to calm down the pain. Then I just finally went to the dr and said k lets go on accutane I'm gonna get this over with. Since then...Over a month now after completing a 3 month supply of accutane, clear.. Had maybe 2 small pimples thats it. Skin tones changing to a even orange glow. yes, all the vegetables and bio nutrient lotions/steam saunas/exercise/positive thinking/respect for myself are all contributing to faster healing. Been really good to myself lately and gained far more respect for myself since.

Edited by Howard2011Accutane