Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
poi6

Someone Who Knows What Theyre Talking About Please

ive been on 2 different antibiotics and i love the results but i remember reading somewhere that you can only be on them for a certain amount of time and i know that if i get of them my acne will come back. So my question is How long are you allowed to be on antibiotics until your doctor or derm takes you off?

It depends. I have read that some doctors will put patients on antibiotics and a topical medication for a limited time. When the acne subsides, then they immediately take the patient off the antibiotics or wean off from the antibiotics, but continue using the topical medication. Of course there are doctors out there that will put patients on antibiotics for an indefinite time as long as no side effects are showing and that the antibiotics are still having a therapeutic effect. So it really depends on the doctor who is prescribing the medication.

I agree with above post and , wether this is good or bad I have always found you can find someone to give you what you want if your present doc were to take you off and you don't want to then just go to someone else. There is no set rule on it and I have had docs let me on it as long as I needed/wanted...but next time u see them why not ask?