Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For as long as I can remember, I've picked the skin on my lips. When I was a kid, I would pick the skin until my lips bled, and for years I constantly had raw, sore, chapped lips. Over the years I've gotten better at not picking, but I still do it on a semi-regular basis, more out of habit than anything else (never to the point of bleeding anymore); I use chapstick as much as possible, but if my lips ever become chapped, I have to pick the skin off, and it makes my lips really red and prevents them from healing fully. I have no idea why I do this (I've read that it's related to OCD, which I don't have), and I've never met anyone else who does this. I don't pick at any other area of my face (in fact, I don't touch my face unless I'm washing it), but for some reason my fingers are always drawn to my lips.

I was wondering if any of you guys suffer from this compulsion and, if so, how you deal with it. I've tried a bunch of routines to get me to break the habit - pinching myself really hard every time I think about picking, putting on chapstick every time I think about picking, even wearing gloves to prevent me from picking - but after 20 years, I'm still at it. If anybody out there has any advice on how to stop lip picking, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

I do this too, all the time. I notice i don't do it so much when i'm with other people (not really an attractive look) or if i'm wearing lipstick/lipgloss.

I used to keep my fingernails really short, so that i couldn't pick with my fingers, but then i started pulling with my teeth :P

Mweh it's annoying, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, everyone has a nervous habit and my best advice is: keep yourself busy.