Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Underdog69

In Need Of Additional Vitamins!

G'day guys,

I'm currently 20 years of age (turning 21 very soon). I have been struggling with my skin for about 4 years now and I'm absolutely sick of the effects it has had on my daily life. It's time I paid more attention to vitamins/minerals that have obviously worked wonders for my fellow acne sufferers. When I started seeing a Dermatologist about 4 years ago (roughly) he stated that I should avoid caffeine, oily foods, chocolate and there is NO NEED to cleanse as my skin was dry. I stopped cleansing and it didn't really make a difference but I started cleansing about 2 weeks ago and the very small existing whiteheads are mostly all gone and my forehead has cleared up by about 60-70%!!! . In addition, he stated that water, the need to wash for face (with cold-luke warm water) and only after I asked him what to take, suggested Vitamin C (did not state amount). I understand the reason why Dermatologists don't suggest Regime's (like the ones on this board) because it is not researched, but nonetheless I felt and still feel very frustrated with my skin. I currently take 4mg of Vitamin C which worked wonders even after a few days of taking it (every 2 hours). I understand this is the Vitamin board but I will list my daily routine

- Wake up (6.30 AM)

- Cleanse face, Vitamin C (500mg) (7.00 AM) - Firstly, I apply water to my face then proceed to massage Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser to my skin. After this, I wash it off with clean cold water and then apply ice cubes/iced water to my face.

- Vitamin C (500 mg) (9.00 AM)

- Vitamin C (500 mg) (11.00 AM)

- Vitamin C (500 mg) (1.00 PM)

- Vitamin C (500 mg) (3.00 PM)

- Vitamin C (500 mg) (9.00 PM)

- Cleanse face (9.30 PM) - Firstly, I apply water to my face then proceed to massage Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser to my skin. After this, I wash it off with clean cold water and then apply ice cubes/iced water to my face. After I pat my face down, I apply Epiduo 0.1% / 2.5% Gel to the affected areas of my face (most of the time I'll massage the Gel to the uninfected areas if my skin looks good).

- Sleep Time (11.00 PM)

Could someone please provide me with some additional supplements that will compliment my existing intake of Vitamin C (I do not want to discontinue the Vitamin C - I have seen too good a result). Any advice is truely appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys,

Underdog

I'd personally also recommend a high intake of Zinc - aim for about 40mg-50mg (at the most) a day. A good multivitamin, a Cod Liver Oil capsule and some Wheatgrass sachets are also great to include. I've found that taking a multivitamin first thing in the morning which contains around 15mg zinc, then a 25mg zinc tablet later in the evening works well.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, have you experienced any "uncomfortable" side-effects since taking such a high dosage of Vitamin C? When I tried megadosing I found that after a few days I was experiencing, ahem, quite bad diarrhea which only cleared up once I took my Vitamin C dosage down.

Edited by Feelin'SomeRhythm

Thanks for your reply FSM, it's much appreciated.

I've got a few questions regarding your suggestions.

- Is there a specific brand for Zinc that you recommend or are they all quiet similar?

- Excuse my ignorance, but are multivitamins just several Vitamins in one capsule? (Example Vitamin A, B, C, D, E etc?)

- With my high intake of Vitamin C (which as I stated I did not want to discontinue), should I cut down to maybe 3mg if I start taking multivitamin? (It is a very low dose as you suggest (25mg) )

- Should I take a 25mg dose of Multivitamins just in the morning?

- Should I take 25mg dose of Zinc in the morning and then 1 at night time?

Sorry for all the questions but it's the first time I've taken any suppliment other then Vitamin C

Cheers

Underdog

After reading Dan's regime, I've decided to take:

- Zinc (25mg for now, 50 in 2 weeks).

- Vitamin D3 (1000iu)

- Vitamin C (4g)

- Multivitamin (1 tablet daily if I haven't had alot of fruit/veggies)

Do you guys think I will be okay with this?

High doses of zinc can cause a copper deficiency. It will take a long time using zinc before that happens though. I have been using 50mg of zinc for about 6 months and I haven't noticed anything unusual. At first I was even using 100mg per day. 50mg should be safe for awhile, but if you want to know for sure, just do some research on how zinc supplementation affects copper levels.

I guess I am a little more reckless with my supplementation. I just use a lot of something, and only reduce it if I start getting side effects.