Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
No11

Acne Advice For Post-Accutane User

So I'm a 25 male and have had acne from the age of 12-13. Looking for advice on what to try next from people with similar histories/background.

I've been on Accutane I think 5 times. 2 courses with GP, 1 with Derm, and 2 low-doses with Derm. Would really like to avoid going on it again. It worked wonderfully each time I was on it, but only a few weeks after stopping it would come back slowly but surely over the following year. I've been off it since 2006.

The acne I have now would likely be classified as moderate. Usually have 3-5 new inflammed ones each day, and get lots of these raised blackheads and whiteheads which will often get inflammed too. Then's there's all the red marks and residue from previous acne (which is awful in the upper cheek region). I have often thought "if only I could make 1 disappear completely per day, I'd be ok", although recently it's been worse with added stress.

Nothing else has really worked for me, been on Stievamycin, BP, Differin, some BP/antibiotic mix, minocin, zinc, and most recently Dermify.

I've been eating healthy for the past few years. Low GI/sugar, only whole foods. Only drink water, V8, and milk. Decided just a couple days ago to try cutting out dairy and wheat completely.

Is there any one else around here with a similar story, that only had Accutane work for them (temporarily) and found a different 'cure' that worked for them? Looking for any help I can get. Thanks.

Anyone?

Been on Accutane 3 times and was heading for # 4. Then I found this http://www.centerfor...es.com/acne.htm

Changed everything.

Thanks for your reply.

So did you clear your skin by just avoiding the foods you were allergic too? Were your results with this as good as when you were on accutane?

Anyone?

Been on Accutane 3 times and was heading for # 4. Then I found this http://www.centerfor...es.com/acne.htm

Changed everything.

Thanks for your reply.

So did you clear your skin by just avoiding the foods you were allergic too? Were your results with this as good as when you were on accutane?

Yes, you will feel the difference in a day or 2. When you accidently eat something, the acne dosen't last very long either. My food allergy was also the cause of my Acid Reflux, Psoriasis, Sensitive Teeth, Arthritis in my shoulder, and Toe Nail fungus. It takes up to a year for your body to recover. Most of my issues went away in a few weeks.

Acne occurs most commonly during adolescence, and often continues into adulthood. In adolescence, acne is usually caused by an increase in testosterone, which people of both genders accrue during puberty.

*Moderator edit - URL removed*

Hormonal Imbalance triggers your food allergy that causes Acne. Just like cold weather & Pollen trigger your food allergy so Asthma flares up. I have a 8 year old with Asthma & Acid reflux, I know 1st hand what kind of havoc Food Allergies can do. My wife is also lactose Intolerant. Fun times.

No11, I have been on Roaccutane twice and it made my skin flawless but it did dry my skin out and has left it dry since. The only thing that keeps my spots under constant control is antibiotics (tetracyclin) I have been on these for a year now and I don't have spots AT ALL when on them. I have just stopped taking them to give myself a break over christmas and now have 3 pimples on my face! I will be going back on them again next week as I'd rather not have spots and be on antibiotics for the rest of my life regardless of the consequences! Hope this helps? Laura x

I am a 40 year old female who has delt with acne my entire life. I think I have finally found the solution. I did accutane years ago, only to find my acne returned. I have been on all the usual meds from retin a to antibiotics. I have come to the conclusion that this is an internal issue stemming from inflammation. I decided to go on a gluten free diet (no wheat, barley, or rye), I switched from milk to almond milk for coffee and cereal (I still eat some cheese), I eat pineapple (fresh only) every day (google plastic surgery and pineapple....the surgeons use it for wound healing). I started taking vitamin supplements of vitamins A, E, Bromelain (pineapple enzine), zinc, and D. I also drink ginger tea (found in asian markets) and green tea if possible. I also eat a tsp of bee pollin just for kicks. I switched from raw sugar when possible to honey. My skin has never looked better. It has been amazing!!!! I really think the key in all honesty has been the gluten free diet (I saw immediate amazing results with that) and the pineapple. Frankly, there is no way to know for sure because I did this entire diet and supplement switch at the same time. I would be interested if you have the same experience. Every one is different and what works for me may not work for someone else, but cutting out gluten and buying fresh pineapple are less costly than many altenatives. Best of luck....I hope this helps.

I would agree with the above posters. I have been on Accutane too many times to count. Some full courses, some shorter and some low dose. I recently developed severe daily migraines and have had to completely change my diet to see if food sensitivities were triggering them. Sure enough, if I eat something I am sensitive to I get a migraine. Accutane exasperates migraine so taking it again wasn't an option and my face slowly went back to what it was before; a big oily pimply mess.

By avoiding: Sugar, meat, caffiene, nuts and nut butter, most dairy (I still eat eggs and a bit of cheese), wheat and alcohol I am now 99% clear. I also am drinking green smoothies daily and found this really helpful! Beets, carrots, spinach, berries, apples, kale, herbs and turmeric are all great for my skin, they make you glow. I really think that long term acne like we have suffered is a result of food allergies and digestion problems. I don't even want to think about the long term damage Accutane has done but I am hoping I can reverse it by following a healthy diet. My advice would be to eliminate these things and you will see an immediate difference! It only took a few months for me to become completely clear. Also, I think a lot of acne comes from the mind and stress. Follow a healthy lifestyle, don't let your skin make you insecure and affirm to yourself that you are great with or without clear skin. The less you care about your skin the more beautiful it becomes.