Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DanTheMan123

Does Accutane 100% Harm Your Eyes?

I'm seeing my dermatologist to start up Accutane on monday, but I've been reading about side effects and have seen a lot of mention of Accutane impairing your vision, and that this is permanent. I just want to hear first hand from anyone who's knowledgeable on Accutane, is this true? The thought of losing my vision is the most terrifying thing in the world to me, is it really guaranteed that this will happen or is it only a possible side-effect? Also, is it really permanent?

Thank you in advance.

I've heard of some people having their eyes return to normal after stopping, but for me - even after 5 years - mine have only got worse.

I'm sorry, because I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's true.

Doesn't mean the drug will definitely do it to you, but it definitely CAN.

There isn't anything you can do to correct it either. Eye-drops are the best you can use, and they're simply not good enough.

As always, I will try to persuade you to cancel your appointment and never, ever, think about this drug again.

It can do a lot of bad stuff.

If you want to know my full-story, my Kindle/eBook is available on Amazon.

Just search 'Roaccutane - The Truth'.

It may just change your mind, and thus save your life.

This is something you should think VERY carefully about.

Stefan

I was only on it for five days at 10MG about 10 days ago and my eyes are STILL dry and red and sore at the end of the day.

It's slightly improved, but my eyes are still very dry and I have to put eyedrops in.

And this was only taking the pill for FIVE days at an extremely low dose and it's been 10 days since my last pill.

Also my ehyebrows started falling out 3 days into taking the pill, so take it at your own risk. Even if my acne gets extremely bad I will not go on that drug....I don't know if my eyes will be damaged like this forever or not, but just be careful.

I've heard of some people having their eyes return to normal after stopping, but for me - even after 5 years - mine have only got worse.

I'm sorry, because I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's true.

Doesn't mean the drug will definitely do it to you, but it definitely CAN.

There isn't anything you can do to correct it either. Eye-drops are the best you can use, and they're simply not good enough.

As always, I will try to persuade you to cancel your appointment and never, ever, think about this drug again.

It can do a lot of bad stuff.

If you want to know my full-story, my Kindle/eBook is available on Amazon.

Just search 'Roaccutane - The Truth'.

It may just change your mind, and thus save your life.

This is something you should think VERY carefully about.

Stefan

I understand the risks involved, and I've read your thread. The thing is I'm 17 years old and I've had acne for a year now. I used topical creams for 8 months and they did kill a lot of my acne, but they also brought a lot more to the surface. I used to have a lot of big spots, now they're all gone and I just have a ton of small spots across my cheeks. Also my face is incredibly oily. I don't see any other solution than Accutane. I seriously doubt that topical creams will ever truly work for me, and they certainly won't solve my oil problems.

Luckily I have a really good naturopathic doctor, who I've been seeing an hour a week for the last two months, to help cope with all the stress from my acne. My naturopath said if I go on accutane they will work with me very diligently to manage the side effects, and do everything within their power to keep me as healthy as possible.

I was only on it for five days at 10MG about 10 days ago and my eyes are STILL dry and red and sore at the end of the day.

It's slightly improved, but my eyes are still very dry and I have to put eyedrops in.

And this was only taking the pill for FIVE days at an extremely low dose and it's been 10 days since my last pill.

Also my ehyebrows started falling out 3 days into taking the pill, so take it at your own risk. Even if my acne gets extremely bad I will not go on that drug....I don't know if my eyes will be damaged like this forever or not, but just be careful.

That sounds a bit worrisome, but then again I don't think five days is enough time to cause any long term damage. A normal course is like 4 months, so 5 days is a really small fraction of that. Give it a bit more time and I should think you'll recover.

Thing is, you can do all the tests and what-not, but you can still get the side effects.

Some people even get them after stopping the drug. I know I didn't have sexual dysfunction until 1 and a half years ago.

Another part of me broke down from nowhere.

If you only have spots, I'd say stop worrying.

Oily skin can be a good thing.

My skin looks older now, without the natural oil.

I dread to think how I'll look in 20 years time.

Realise you're acne isn't going to be here for the rest of your life.

Probably a little while.. But you'll do good to accept it at the moment.

I notice you haven't mentioned diet.

This can improve things in acne-prone people.

If you eat shit, your body will release it through your skin.

Of course, hormones are a big part of it.

Trust me on this, you don't want to go messing with hormones, or nature.

I'd love to be you right now.

You have an option to save your life.

I wasn't aware of the dangers when I took this drug, and I'm living a messy life.

I have tried so hard to improve things, and nothing works.

I'd much prefer acne than an array of health problems.

Red, dry eyes are far worse looking than acne.

People seem to look at me like I'm a freak because of it.

Hair loss too.

It's not worth it. Forget it as an option.

Many more people than you're led to believe get these side effects.

I've done my bit now.

The rest is up to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This guy took the drug for a couple of days.

Google Hans Peterson and Accutane if you want.

That guy took the drug for a small amount of time (might've been days), and killed his doctor out of revenge for what Accutane had done to him.

Many would doubt that was possible, but having gone through the experience myself (I didn't kill anyone...) I know it can do a lot of terrible shit.

Dose doesn't tend to matter, and the duration of the course either.

Don't risk your future for this man.

Well I'll see what my dermatologist has to say, but when I saw him a month and a half ago he seemed to be under the impression that my spots would turn into scars if I left them untreated. I've been living quite healthily in terms of my diet, and I've done a hell of a lot to reduce my stress over the last month. But the reality is these spots are all over my cheeks and they're not just going to go away on their own. Also my skin is really oily, like not just natural oils but excess. When I look in the mirror I have an insane amount of shine.

I totally understand everything you're telling me, and it is a bit worrisome, but then I look at Youtube diaries of people who have had nothing but success with the drug and those encourage me. The fact of it is that I want nothing more than to have clear skin and to be able to enjoy my life again, and at this point I can be very easily swayed towards doing this drug if I know it will clear me up. I'm going to be cautious about this, and get a lot of opinions and advice before I rush into it, but I know that regardless of what happens I have to take action against my skin. I took topical creams for 8 months, stopped in August because I hated how much they were irritating my skin and they didn't seem to be working anymore. Then from September up until now I've been doing only natural stuff; messing with my diet, using natural creams, stress relief. At the end of the day my skin looks a little better than it did in September, but the spots are still there and they're not going away unless I take action.

I developed Accutane induced Sjrogren's no joke my friend. Dry eyes started 2-4 months AFTER Accutane course was over.

the side effects are not permanent. You need to believe that these things won't happen to you for them not too.

If you worry about it enough then you'll just cause it yourself. I am on accutane, month 3 right now, and my only side effects are dry skin and dry lips. I was shedding a lot of hair at the beginning of my course and just recently last week, i read up on all the horror stories of hairloss and then one day I completely broke down and had enough. Told myself I WONT loose my hair and that the stress of taking this drug and constantly reading the stories people post on the internet about their course. The next day my hairloss was basically non existant. I just stopped worrying, stressing, told myself that i can get through this course and that I WILL get through the course.

My eyesight has barely been affected, for the first couple weeks i experienced blurry vision but that's gone now. possibly might have worse night vision but i cant be sure....the only reason that im even looking for impared night vision is because ive read up on it.

That is an excellent point slowandsteady. The connection between mind and body is something I've been learning a lot about this past month. I've been so stressed about my acne this past year that I actually caused myself a whole slew of physical symptoms as a result of said stress. Every day for months I was experiencing heart palpitations, nervousness, hyper-awareness, the list goes on. I finally realized my stress was the culprit, and to my complete amazement I was able to rid myself of all of these symptoms in just one day by simply changing my whole attitude towards it. My acne may not be much better now than it was a month ago, but I've changed my entire attitude and my entire way of thinking, and it's unbelievable how much better I feel.

I think I've been stressing myself out a lot by reading the negative posts on these forums. I'm definitely going to be positive about this, and I think I'll avoid checking back here because I have a tendency to let my mind run wild with negative thoughts as soon as I read something negative. That's not to say I'm debunking any possibility of getting side effects, I'm simply saying that there's no point in thinking about it because it will do no good.