Notifications
Clear all

Journey Of My Life

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/09/2011 7:26 pm

I guess it's my turn....

Monday, Dec 5th was my first day of taking 40mg of Claravis (Accutane). I have had acne since I was about 14/15 years old. I was on birth control since I was about 17 years old but not consistantly for 2 years. After I had my daughter when I was 19 years old I used the Ortho Evra patch and Nuva ring faithfully. During this time I was pretty clear, just a breakout here or there. Late last year I stopped using birth control because I just didnt want to keep putting these hormones in my body "and wanted to be natural." I all of a sudden became this health conscious person lol. Anyways, so this year around early May I developed SEVERE and painful adult rosacea acne like in a matter of days, predominately in my chin and some on my chest (which has never happened to me in my life). It was terrible. It hurt to even sleep at night. I could feel my face throbbing. Ugh. Well I couldnt take it anymore, I went to a derm and he gave me tetracycline (which I knew wasnt going to work). I got back on Ortho Tri Cyclen in October and went to see the doctor at my university. When the doctor walked in she said immediately "you need Accutane." She referred me to a different derm in November. And here I am, beginning this Journey. I don't feel anything physically, mentally, or notice anything different. My face had began to get better last month, I think because the birth control but my chin is still red. This is day 5 and I did get an ugly pimple on my forehead (I dont ever break out there), so maybe it's working. I just want my face to look normal like it did 8 months ago. My brother took Accutane when he was 17yrs old, he will be 29 in Jan, and to this day he is clear. I hope my experience is successful like his. I am a Grad student for my MSW and working on my LCSW, which really has helped me cope with this situation and not become a depressed mess. If I didnt know about therapy better I really think I would be hiding out in my house lol, but working in the social work field and having close friends who are doctors and psychiatrist has helped. I catch them doing therapy sessions on me sometimes hahahaha.....

So cheers to my 5 month journey!!! whistling.gif)

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 12/09/2011 7:30 pm

Ah, this answers my question in the message I just sent. :D Best of luck on your journey!

MemberMember
(@perzona)

Posted : 12/11/2011 1:45 pm

Will be following your log =)

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/11/2011 10:28 pm

Thank You!!! I think I am starting the initial breakout for real now!!! Terrible. I am breaking out in places I normally don't (forehead, scalp). Oh! And ugh I had a little pimple on my stomach and thigh lol..weird. I had noticed it and was like whats this little red dot hahahaha........and my lips are drier but I been using LypSyl and it takes care of that, so thats not a big deal. My skin isnt all the way dry yet tho. Maybe that will take longer, hmmm who knows lol....

MemberMember
(@again)

Posted : 12/12/2011 3:20 am

Best of luck! I truely understand and feel the pain your going through. I'm sorry that your going through this and I hope that this cures you for life! I wish I was as strong as you and didn't become a recluse. I'm about to start month 6 (my last, but 3rd course) and things are looking up. Accutane is truly a miracle drug. I'm 29 and I feel like I should help support others who are beginning their journey. So many helped me on this site.

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/13/2011 4:10 pm

Thank you Again :-) ......wow your third course, has it been less severe each time? Is yours hormonally induced and thats why accutane is a temporary fix? My derm told me if mine is hormonal it could come back....hmmmm *fingers crossed* lol.....

Now I am on day 8. Definitely experiencing initial breakout, but its not nothing severe, they heal throughout the day/night but I wake up with 1 or 2 the next day lol. And its primarily on the back of my scalp, weird. But no joke my chest is clear again Yay! and my forehead Yay!. *knock on wood*

This stuff better work some magic cause I will be going to Vegas for new years. Pimples on scalp and all hahaha.... And I am gonna drink a bittle of apple cider since I cant drink alcohol.... Lol.... I hope I can stick to that plan!

MemberMember
(@blahdeeblah)

Posted : 12/13/2011 5:06 pm

Thank You!!! I think I am starting the initial breakout for real now!!! Terrible. I am breaking out in places I normally don't (forehead, scalp). Oh! And ugh I had a little pimple on my stomach and thigh lol..weird. I had noticed it and was like whats this little red dot hahahaha........and my lips are drier but I been using LypSyl and it takes care of that, so thats not a big deal. My skin isnt all the way dry yet tho. Maybe that will take longer, hmmm who knows lol....

I got one on my tummy too...what the heck?! I've NEVER gotten a breakout anywhere except my face and back...and occassionally my neck around my hairline. My tummy?! Too strange, I'm glad I'm not the only one :) 🙂

I'll be following your log, I'm only about 2 weeks ahead of you, also 26. I started on the 19th of November.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/17/2011 11:53 am

Day 12

OMG!!! Wth happened?! So a few days ago I figured I was going thru the initial breakout, but damn! Yesterday it was bad, but today I have 21 white heads! I had to count I was sooooooooooo in shock! O-M-G....okay I can do this, ugh. Its weird cuz only 2 are big, the other ones are pretty small. How did everyone survive this?? Lol...

MemberMember
(@slowandsteady)

Posted : 12/17/2011 12:09 pm

the IB definitely doesn't last a few days.....

I had mine last for about 3 weeks and im still getting break outs 3 months into treatment.

Accutane takes tons of time to work girl.

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/17/2011 12:24 pm

Ahhhhh!!!!!! No wonder your name is "slowandsteady" lol jk......Giiiirrrrl that is not what I wanted to hear hahahaha. My derm said I should ne clear in a month lol....my face had already been getting alot better with the birth control, and now that the Accutane is working, it's terrible again! Lol nooooo. 😀 okay I am going to be patient....

MemberMember
(@slowandsteady)

Posted : 12/17/2011 12:29 pm

hahaha no seriously u got it, slow and steady is the only way with this drug

but dont worry my IB is more of an exception, my derm assumed I'd be clearer by now as well. Seems as though my skin just isn't wanting to listen! Patience is the only thing that helps with the process :)

Eventually we'll both be clear though! (and most likely for life)

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/17/2011 12:39 pm

Omg! What if I turn out to be an "exception" like you?! Noooo! Lol I am jk. I love that additude tho! I better be clear for years after this, cuz this is crazy lol.... My 2 big pimples look like united pimples, like a bee's honey comb lol.....ugh! I am gonna have to read your log for inspiration :-)

MemberMember
(@again)

Posted : 12/18/2011 4:16 pm

Thank you Again whistling.gif) ......wow your third course, has it been less severe each time? Is yours hormonally induced and thats why accutane is a temporary fix? My derm told me if mine is hormonal it could come back....hmmmm *fingers crossed* lol.....

Now I am on day 8. Definitely experiencing initial breakout, but its not nothing severe, they heal throughout the day/night but I wake up with 1 or 2 the next day lol. And its primarily on the back of my scalp, weird. But no joke my chest is clear again Yay! and my forehead Yay!. *knock on wood*

This stuff better work some magic cause I will be going to Vegas for new years. Pimples on scalp and all hahaha.... And I am gonna drink a bittle of apple cider since I cant drink alcohol.... Lol.... I hope I can stick to that plan!

No, mine isn't hormonal at all. I even payed to have my hormones tested just to be sure, which they all came back normal. What a waste of money that was. I should have listened to my doctor who tried to tell me that I didn't have any of the hormonal irregularity signs. Oh well. I suppose it makes sense that I don't since I never really broke out around my period. I just broke out everyday!

The first time I went on accutane (2005) I had moderate/persistent acne. My second course was (Started in 2006-eneded in 2007) extrememly mild, but they recommend a second consecutive cousre for best results if you start to break out again soon after. My third course (current one) my acne was severe/cystic/persistent. I had asked my derm if this was common ( well, not necessarily common, but was this normal) and she said that it was. I am pessimistic ( or as I like to say a realist or just emotionally preparing myself for the worse) about having another relapse. Although, my derm is very optimistic that this could be my last course.

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/18/2011 5:22 pm

Thank you Again whistling.gif) ......wow your third course, has it been less severe each time? Is yours hormonally induced and thats why accutane is a temporary fix? My derm told me if mine is hormonal it could come back....hmmmm *fingers crossed* lol.....

No, mine isn't hormonal at all. I even payed to have my hormones tested just to be sure, which they all came back normal. What a waste of money that was. I should have listened to my doctor who tried to tell me that I didn't have any of the hormonal irregularity signs. Oh well. I suppose it makes sense that I don't since I never really broke out around my period. I just broke out everyday!

The first time I went on accutane (2005) I had moderate/persistent acne. My second course was (Started in 2006-eneded in 2007) extrememly mild, but they recommend a second consecutive cousre for best results if you start to break out again soon after. My third course (current one) my acne was severe/cystic/persistent. I had asked my derm if this was common ( well, not necessarily common, but was this normal) and she said that it was. I am pessimistic ( or as I like to say a realist or just emotionally preparing myself for the worse) about having another relapse. Although, my derm is very optimistic that this could be my last course.

My derm actually told me thats he has had people come back for treatment 2/3 times. And I seem to read posts about people on their second or third courses, so I guess it is common. I hope this is the last time for you, and it may be not that your a little older. Good luck. Can I ask you something? I am going thru my initial breakout (terrible), did you treat your acne with any acne products while on Accutane? Or just wash and moisturize? I am a little confusef regarding this. Do I just let the pimples be? I am not a "picker" cuz its gross to me and cant stand even looking at them in the mirror cuz then I swear they feel like have a heart beat of their own lol

MemberMember
(@again)

Posted : 12/18/2011 9:10 pm

Sure! Ask away.

No, I did not use any acne products while on accutane. I do however, use baking soda with my cleanser every night and have done this since I started. I then use a gentle toner, moisturizer and vaseline. Vaseline sounds gross and it is, but that is what my derm told me to use while on accutane and it has been a lifesaver! I will also put vitamin e on my face some nights.

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/19/2011 1:50 am

Sure! Ask away.

No, I did not use any acne products while on accutane. I do however, use baking soda with my cleanser every night and have done this since I started. I then use a gentle toner, moisturizer and vaseline. Vaseline sounds gross and it is, but that is what my derm told me to use while on accutane and it has been a lifesaver! I will also put vitamin e on my face some nights.

Can you explain how you use the baking soda, please. Like you mix it right in? Like a paste? Mask? And also, what does the baking soda do?

MemberMember
(@again)

Posted : 12/19/2011 7:42 pm

I mix it so it makes a thick paste. I use it as a scrub. It's the most gentle thing you can use as an exfoliater. Then, I moiturize and put Vaseline on to soothe and heal my skin. You really don't need a big regimine while on accutane. The simpler, the better!

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/19/2011 8:21 pm

I mix it so it makes a thick paste. I use it as a scrub. It's the most gentle thing you can use as an exfoliater. Then, I moiturize and put Vaseline on to soothe and heal my skin. You really don't need a big regimine while on accutane. The simpler, the better!

Okay I am gonna try it :)

And about the moisturizing. If I am not extremely dry, should I still moisturize?? I am a lil flakey, but not too too bad. What you think??

MemberMember
(@again)

Posted : 12/19/2011 8:31 pm

Yes, always moisturize! That is one of the biggest mistakes acne sufferers make. Even with acne, always moisturize. Plus, moisturizing helps heal your skin. :)

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/22/2011 12:32 pm

Day 18

The terrible initial breakout continues. So I remember in the very first days my forehead was clear but now this is where most of the breakouts are located. They are big too. And red. My chin is breaking out too but they are small white heads that heal by the next day.

Also, I am not really dry :( my lips aren't dry yet either. I almost feel like its not working because I don't feel anything. I just see breakouts where I never had any before. I know I am waaayyy too heavy to only be taking 40mg. I really have fabricated this idea all the accutane is getting stuck in my hips or something lol.......

I will patiently continue to wait....

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 12/22/2011 4:01 pm

Doesn't always have to be the case that the dryness kicks in straight away so it's perhaps not best to use that as a guide. Plus, if you're now breaking out worse than before, it's a safe bet that's due to the Accutane. In which case, it is starting to work. Here's hoping the breakout doesn't get too bad for you. Speaking of which, anything above 40mg probably wouldn't be a good idea to start out. A lot of people seem to start on 20mg so you could say you're a step ahead in that respect. Besides, your derm will surely keep an eye on things and increase the dosage along the way if need be and there's a long way to go yet so plenty of time for things to happen. Time and patience is the key! :)

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/23/2011 12:02 am

Doesn't always have to be the case that the dryness kicks in straight away so it's perhaps not best to use that as a guide. Plus, if you're now breaking out worse than before, it's a safe bet that's due to the Accutane. In which case, it is starting to work. Here's hoping the breakout doesn't get too bad for you. Speaking of which, anything above 40mg probably wouldn't be a good idea to start out. A lot of people seem to start on 20mg so you could say you're a step ahead in that respect. Besides, your derm will surely keep an eye on things and increase the dosage along the way if need be and there's a long way to go yet so plenty of time for things to happen. Time and patience is the key! :)

Thank you for the inspiration :)

This is starting to become a little difficult because my forehead is looking really bad. I haven't broke out in that area since I was like 14 years old and never like this. And then the thought of looking this bad for NYE is really depressing. I never have let acne get me down like this, but now I am starting to completely understand how people feel. I haven't got to the point where I don't want to stay home or anything like that, but just feeling with my fingertips how bumpy and rough my skin is when I wash is saddening.

I am gonna tough this experience out.

MemberMember
(@kitto)

Posted : 12/23/2011 8:44 am

I know exctly how you feel! Im day 18 at the moment, lips are a little dry but break outs everywhere that I havent had them.and my skin had improved in like the first week too :/ im only on 20g a day but yep, I have what look like wart pimples all over my chin and cheeks, so awkward

MemberMember
(@skylynn)

Posted : 12/23/2011 10:50 am

I know exctly how you feel! Im day 18 at the moment, lips are a little dry but break outs everywhere that I havent had them.and my skin had improved in like the first week too :/ im only on 20g a day but yep, I have what look like wart pimples all over my chin and cheeks, so awkward

Yeah they do kind of look wart-ish lol...but mine are on my forehead. I wonder why we breakout in places we normally dont....hmmmm..

MemberMember
(@e-wilde)

Posted : 12/23/2011 12:00 pm

Hey Good Luck too :D

and just give it time, sometimes it takes a while...

and aww, dont worry about it, things will go right :)