Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vcsteve

My Thoughts...trapped In This Cage

just like to share my story with you guys...the first struggle i had w/ acne occurred when i was in 5th grade. i am in 11th now (junior) i always remember that that when i had one big zit surrounded by a few smaller ones right under my nose...my friend pressured me into popping tha huge s.o.b.and i did. thats when all hell broke loose. since then thru 8th grade i had acne effecting my face. i think in the summer of 6th or 7th grade, i had bacne. all over. my skin is pretty white so it showed easily. my friends tortured me..they were disgusted by it. ever since that one day at my towns community pool, i shyed away from situations that showed my skin. no pool parties, nothing. beach? hell no. one solution was one of those "wet suits". but after 8th grade, my face was never terrible. it was just my chest and back..then once high school started...bam. now it was everywhere. my cheek and jawline area covered. i tried many products, even all those natural remedies. none really worked. if so, it would just come back in a couple days. the worst part about it is, im really insecure. thus leading me into my new passion of bodybuilding. i have built up a pretty decent physique, but i cant show it because of my skin. my one friend and training partner asked me to pose in the gyms locker room mirror. i couldnt turn it down, he made me. he said if you were a little bigger, that acne looks so bad like you were taking steroids (a common side effect of roids) i then tried tanning booths, which helped only my body slightly, but once i discontinued it came back. it sucks.. because im a decent looking guy with a pretty good body. my acne sets me back from getting alot of girls. if i didnt have it id be so much more confident and girls would probly be more attracted to me. how could i have sex when i have acne all over my body? they would get grossed out. so im determined to get rid of this shit. its going alright. did 3 blue light sessions, not making much difference, but helping. also, ive been put on tazorac yesterday by my derm, because he wants to avoid accutane. if i was on accutane i would have to stop working out, which i dont want to do, but if it gets rid of my acne id be willing to take the risk.. kinda want to get it over with sooner than later. but this tazorac is giving me hope so im just gonna hope and pray.

Good luck with your acne. But, you are in 11th grade and thinking about having sex? Too young. You are a kid. You are in no position to mess around with something that can result in disease and/or pregnancy. Wait until you mature and are an adult.

Thank you for the reply! I understand your point about the sex but i am gonna be very careful about it, with someone who i care about alot, and just because i only get to live once you know? gotta let go sometimes and have fun. Its my life, but this is also me living it. i dont wanna have any regrets when i look back when im older. im not gonna be stupid enough to make a bad mistake, but im also not going to refrain from the parts of life that mean alot to me.

Have you been on a trial of oral doxycycline or tetracycline, along with benzoyl peroxide, and have you been religious about it for three months? Have you tried topical retin-A?

That light therapy sucks IMO. I had to go on Accutane twice as a teenager, and it's fine. Why wouldn't be you be able to work out? If you get soreness, take 600mg ibuprofen, not to exceed 3x in one day or more than a couple days in a row.

I'd recommend Accutane ASAP, if you have failed other treatments. Many people have few side effects, you may be one of those. Also, it sounds like it would be helpful for you to talk to someone weekly about your feelings.

Good luck with your acne. But, you are in 11th grade and thinking about having sex? Too young. You are a kid. You are in no position to mess around with something that can result in disease and/or pregnancy. Wait until you mature and are an adult.

The average age for people to lose their virginity in Canada and the States is 17. Whether the OP is "too young" or not really depends on his own level of maturity - teens can often be very mature just like adults can be seriously immature. I've known teens who've educated themselves on both pregnancy and STI prevention and who've had active sex lives with no problems/complications whatsoever, and adults who've gotten pregnant multiple times (without meaning to, obviously) because they were too lazy to go get a condom.

Having said that, as an old lady (well, a 22-year-old old lady...), I gotta say: don't be in a rush to have sex just for the sake of having sex. It'll only lead to confusion and disappointment. I don't know what you're looking for - just a bunch of random girls to have sex wih or an actual girlfriend - but if it's the latter, I'd caution against hooking up with somebody who'll only "deign" to have sex with you when you're clear. You'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by reaffirming the belief that the only way anybody would ever be able to love/be attracted to you is if you looked a certain way, and love - and even sometimes attraction - shouldn't work like that. Have faith in your wits, your personality, your kindness, your charm, whatever; the type of girls who'll fall for those things are the ones most worth being with anyways.

Accutane is pretty awful, but very effective as a last resort. I hope it won't end up being yours and that the tazorac works for you - you never know, you just may grow out of your acne naturally in a couple of years.

im not gonna be stupid enough to make a bad mistake

Just so you know... there is no method that is 100% effective at preventing disease or pregnancy. I don't care how smart or careful you are, there is still a chance. You have plenty of time. You have your whole life ahead of you. Slow down. Relax. You won't regret it.

Accutane is pretty awful, but very effective as a last resort. I hope it won't end up being yours and that the tazorac works for you - you never know, you just may grow out of your acne naturally in a couple of years.

ive been put on tazorac yesterday by my derm, because he wants to avoid accutane. if i was on accutane i would have to stop working out, which i dont want to do, but if it gets rid of my acne id be willing to take the risk.. kinda want to get it over with sooner than later. but this tazorac is giving me hope so im just gonna hope and pray.

Growing out of acne naturally is what I am hoping will happen to me as it happened to my father when he was 18, he got acne at 13, exactly the same as me. I have more or less come to the conclusion that it won't go away until it wants to (i.e. when my hormones calm down), there isn't a lot I can do about it to make it go away, I can only control it to a certain degree with Dan's regimen. I think you should be patient with it (I know, a lot easier said than done) and not reach out for the accutane, it is horrible stuff. Yes, it could potentially clear up your acne, but it could also give you nasty side effects that last a long time after your acne is gone.

To me, the risk is not worth it. Why take it when in a year or two (maybe more, but who knows?) it may have gone by its own accord without touching the stuff. A few years of your life with acne is not a lot in the grand scheme of things as you may take accutane but regret it later on in life. So I would say just try to stick it out for now without the acutane and see where it takes you. Another reason not to take it would be for the stopping of working out. Working out is fantastic for releasing stress and gets you a great body through the process of having a healthy hobby. Its also great for taking your mind of work/school/acne or whatever it is that is bothering you for a while, so keep at it

I wouldn't rule out accutane completely but it should be your absolute last resort, for example the only time I would consider it again is maybe when I am 19/20 (I'm a few months away from 18 now) and it still had not cleared, give your body time to sort itself out smile.png

Edit for my horrible spelling

Edited by MJRI94