Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drummer777

Need Some Help Regarding Treatment. Please Read.

Hi everyone. Sorry this is a long read but I want to give as much information as possible so I can get a good recommendation on what to do. I’ve had acne scars for a while now and I’m trying hard now to get them almost removed or less noticeable. So my phone has a good camera and I took pictures but it just wouldn't let me put them on my computer. I had to use my computer's camera and before you look at them I need to say IT IS NOT HOW THEY ACTUALLY LOOK. You can barely see them because the quality is so bad. In real life they are a lot more red and more visible. They are in my attachments.

The first photo you can see a red circle on my cheek. It actually isn't a circle but about 7 icepick scars. The second photo is my right cheek, and again it looks like nothing but it's actually an oval-shaped rolling scar. Again I wish I could give you guys a better idea but these were the best I could do. I also have icepick scars around my ears but they aren't as noticeable as the ones on my cheeks. I also get rosacea around the cheeks when I workout or take a shower.

I finished Accutane in July (almost 5 months ago). I've had these scars for 4 years (kind of annoying because if I took Accutane 4 years ago I wouldn’t have them). I’ve tried dermarolling and it didn’t really help; just made my face more red. After doing some research I’m curious about doing lactic acid or TCA peels. What is the success rate on these? Also I’d like to know if anyone has had success with injections, because I’ve read good things about steroid injections.

Finally, I’m considering doing Active or DeepFX in a few weeks. It would be 5 months since I finished Accutane. I know you are supposed to wait 6 months to a year before having laser treatment, but my skin seems like it’s not under the influence of Accutane at all anymore, and winter break is the only time I have to recover. I’ve done a lot of research on this and I read that DeepFX is better for scarring than Active. But the doctor who would do the surgery said I would get success with ActiveFX too ,and it’s $1000 cheaper (she has a really good track record probably the best in my city). Unfortunately another thing I keep reading is that the results are only temporary until your face stops swelling, and that after about a year you can develop new scars and redness in the face. She also said that if I'm looking for no downtime, I can also do a combination of microdermabrasion and chemical peels I think once a week, and still get results.She said I would get better results from the laser, but the combination would be ideal for me since I'm starting a job and don't want any downtime. Even though I’ve researched a lot, I’d still like to hear opinions from both sides about laser treatment and what my doctor said. Has anyone here actually noticed significant improvement with laser treatment or the combination I mentioned that lasted more than a few months or a year? I’d really appreciate it if I could get some input from those people.

Again sorry for the long read and thank you for taking the time to help.

post-154902-0-49025100-1323398344_thumb.

post-154902-0-09509000-1323398356_thumb.

post-154902-0-49025100-1323398344_thumb.

post-154902-0-09509000-1323398356_thumb.

You have really answered your own question. DeepFX is your only answer and you know it. DeepFX is in a league with Fraxel Re:pair, Active FX is like Fraxel Re:Store. Bit the bullet and go for the gold. Even with that you may well need and want multiple treatments.

http://www.acne.org/...er-link-o-rama/

Here is an interesting link that gives a simple explaination of the different lasers.

http://www.zimbio.com/Boston+Medical+Spa/articles/39/Understanding+Fraxel+Repair+Lumenis+Bridge

Edited by DudleyDoRight

I would absolutely wait a longer period of time if you decide to go with an abalative laser. The derms recommend six months of waiting after stopping accutane for non-ablative lasers like Fraxel Restore. They actually recommend from one to two years of waiting prior to having an ablative laser done. Waiting until next year's winter break would ensure you don't have a problem from the accutane.

Make sure you have a test spot done in any case.

Your skin looks quite good, you really don't want to make it worse.

Oh, and the fractional carbon dioxide ablative lasers are known to start losing their results at one years time. I posted a research article a few month ago that showed that to be the case on the Fraxel Repair. I think a lot of derms think the Fraxel restore gives better results than the fractional CO2 lasers especially with milder scarring like yours.

What kind of accutane dose were you on? Spot treatment is definitely a really good idea to test how skin reacts before having larger area treated if done so soon after accutane.

I as well went with my own judgement that my skin is back to normal and had treatment only some months after accutane - But I had only been on a very small dose so the effects ended relatively quick. Btw I also had total fx (deep + active) and there was some results but I'll difinitely need more than one treatment. Worked way better than the fraxel I had few years ago though.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm leaning toward doing the combination of microdermabrasion and chemical peels. I think you guys are right in saying that I shouldn't risk damaging my skin anymore being only 5 months off accutane. I think I should try the combination and see how that goes. Then I can wait next winter break for the fractional CO2 laser when it's either improved or more research has been done on it.

I'm still a little confused on one thing though. What's the difference between Fraxel Repair and Restore? And how do they compare to Active FX and Deep FX?