Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul25

How To Exfoliate Extremely Dry/flaky Skin?

My skin is extremely dry and flaky, it is really annoying when looking in the mirror and seeing all those flakes. I can just rub or scratch at my skin and it all starts to show. Just splashing water on my skin dries it out ever more so im not sure there is anything i am going to be able to use but just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks

-Bump up the amount of moisturizer that you are using.

-Add a SPF.

-Use AHA+

-Glide Jojoba Oil on your face, let it set for 5 minutes and gently rub in small circles, then cleanse.

Any of those can pretty much help out. You can also do facial stretching when applying your moisturizer. Smile really big, blow your cheeks out or even yawn really big when you apply the moisturizer. This will cause your skin to stretch and flake and the moisturizer can absorb better. Good Luck!

use a chemical exfoliant with glycolic acid. scrubs aggravate the skin.

try dans acne.org AHA

I have tried glycolic acid once before, it made me break up pretty bad so i had to give up in the end. I have tried cleansers as well with glycolic acid and they just seem to dry me out even more. I think literally everything i use just dries me out.

I use shaving cream. I always buy the stuff that smells the least bad. They had one with a nice subtle fragrance, but it's gone & never to return. Anyway I choose Gillette shaving cream for mild skin, and I squirt enough to cover my whole face. I used to use the foam one, but that's gone too, so I use the gel version.

Smear it on your problem areas - for me its the forehead, nose, cheeks, & especially my jaw line (except my chin). I leave it on for about 5 minutes, enjoying the coolness given off by the minty chemicals, then I rinse it all away. I then use my clean fingers to gently rub myself. The skin will roll off & form balls or something. I make sure I cover all the areas. Once done, rinse & you're done. If your skin gets oily, then this treatment will make it "appear" oilier. Don't worry about it.

The baby brush method is the gentlest and most effective form of manual exfoliation I've found. My other favorite exfoliators are green cream(a retinol) and Paula's choice SA gel.

How to exfoliate dry, flaky skin?

You don't, I have dry skin too and it takes a while to restore the natural oil..I would suggest applying jojoba oil 3 times a day for 2 weeks and wash your face only in the shower and take a shower will cool or luke warm water.

Don't get confused by what others are saying. Stay true to the end goal. Your skin's own oil system must work properly for your skin to take care of itself. Else your just going to have to be handicapped with a moizturizer etc,, so to speak.

That said, I too am going to mislead you now. I don't have the answer to help your skin take care of yourself. I use neutrogena moisturizer for combination skin, I exfoliate after showering with a dry paper towel gently but as thorough as I can. However, even if I get it as thorough as I can, its not really gone, the flakiness is still there, the broken flakes reappear hours later when i check my face in the car mirror. So, I exfoliate with the paper towel the best I can and then I use very little of that moisturizer to cover the skin, I can't say it treats my skin, but it does stop the flakes from being visible even up real close, and it doesn't appear greasy until 6-8 hours later, which is fine if you ask me.

There may be a better option, but note the tradeoffs. I don't think the constant process of exfoliation, aka breaking off the flakes and moisturizing is the answer to eventually gradually reducing the skin from getting dry and flaking. In fact it might even be making it worse. I haven't heard that success story yet from anyone, I'm all ears for anyone who wants to prove me wrong.

I've had this problem for a year or so, and have found it makes my acne much worse. I recently saw a dermatologist who told me it was seborrheic dermatitis, so you may want to investigate treating it as such and get a proper diagnosis.

Salicylic acid would be the way to exfoliate it, especially if it is SD.

Edited by Impossible

Moisturize (shea butter is good as a night treatment, Vitamin E or olive oil is good too.)

Exfoliate.

Exercise (and sweat.)

Eat healthy. Get lots of healthy fats in your diet. Drink lots of water in between meals.

That's all you have to do.

Edited by chunkylard

I have tried some things but everytime i exfoliate my face becomes oily. I have tried the flannel, baby brush and a witch hazel exfoliating wash. Since my face is becoming oily am i being to rough or is this just simply going to happen everytime and the only way i can correct via internal issues?

My skin is extremely dry and flaky, it is really annoying when looking in the mirror and seeing all those flakes. I can just rub or scratch at my skin and it all starts to show. Just splashing water on my skin dries it out ever more so im not sure there is anything i am going to be able to use but just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks

Let's first start by addressing the problem, why your skin is dry in the first place. What products do you currently use? I see that you also noticed sex/masturbation (in your case) is was giving you issues, it was with me as well.

Thanks

Let's first start by addressing the problem, why your skin is dry in the first place. What products do you currently use? I see that you also noticed sex/masturbation (in your case) is was giving you issues, it was with me as well.

I dont usually use any products, just usually a splash of water. My face is always so flaky though so that is why i am trying to figure away to exfoliate as i hate looking in the mirror everytime seeing more flakes have appeared.

I know that it used to, i dont get any sex now (haha) but try to withhold from masturbation as well so i dont feel this is causing any of the issues.

I dont usually use any products, just usually a splash of water. My face is always so flaky though so that is why i am trying to figure away to exfoliate as i hate looking in the mirror everytime seeing more flakes have appeared.

I know that it used to, i dont get any sex now (haha) but try to withhold from masturbation as well so i dont feel this is causing any of the issues.

Okay. It is winter time and this is expected. I can relate with my very own experience, this last summer. I got a 2nd degree sunburn, so I to with stand a long time of dry skin. The trick for me actually was hot water and q-tips, I never use products on my skin either. I would get my skin nice and hot in the shower so it would get flaky and I then removed the dead skin with q-tips very gently when my face dried. Although it isnt the same situation I would recommend giving that a try. This advice might be total BS though if you have naturally dry skin? If you have naturally dry skin, just pass over what I just said, I do not have naturally dry skin and would not recommend what I just said for those with naturally dry skin.

Are you consuming enough fats? Drinking enough fluids?

I drink plenty of water and herbal teas so i dont think its that. I dont consume many fats, ive been scared of them for quite a while for some reason. I have started having a couple of teaspoons a day of olive oil and i shall have a look into more to see if that can help at all.

Okay. It is winter time and this is expected. I can relate with my very own experience, this last summer. I got a 2nd degree sunburn, so I to with stand a long time of dry skin. The trick for me actually was hot water and q-tips, I never use products on my skin either. I would get my skin nice and hot in the shower so it would get flaky and I then removed the dead skin with q-tips very gently when my face dried. Although it isnt the same situation I would recommend giving that a try. This advice might be total BS though if you have naturally dry skin? If you have naturally dry skin, just pass over what I just said, I do not have naturally dry skin and would not recommend what I just said for those with naturally dry skin.

I wish it was due to winter and cold weather but unfortunately it has been going on for quite a few years now so just seems to be naturally like this now.

I drink plenty of water and herbal teas so i dont think its that. I dont consume many fats, ive been scared of them for quite a while for some reason. I have started having a couple of teaspoons a day of olive oil and i shall have a look into more to see if that can help at all.

I wish it was due to winter and cold weather but unfortunately it has been going on for quite a few years now so just seems to be naturally like this now.

What did you do before not using products? Were you using soaps/topicals? This could be from some serious damage caused by them. The only other thing I can think of is a problem with flouride. Flouride is in everyone's water (not by choice). Some people are allergic to it, as it can cause irritation and dryness. They do make filters for flouride.

do you eat eggs? You could also try a tablespoon of coconut oil. Or better yet, make fudge with coconut oil, cocoa powder and stevia. What about omega 3 EFAs?

Have you moved and did it coincide with the dryness? Could be the water. Consider a shower filter to remove chlorine. And don't use very hot water.

Also, are you avoiding trans fats which inhibit linoleic acid an important component in sebum that works as it intended rather than being sticky and contributing to clogged pores?

Edited by alternativista