Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello,

I made a similar post a while back in the cosmetic threads, but I figures that this may be a better place to get some information.

I was wondering what the best way to cover up scars is? Please keep in mind that I am talking about shallow scars (and a few shallow boxcars). I know that some people use Dermaflage (sp?), but I think that may be a little overboard for me (though I guess I could use that, just less of it). Do any of you have any experience with covering up (at least to some degree) shallow scars (or deeper scars I suppose)? I know that some people use a type of silicone makeup. I have not heard of a lot of other things. I know that it is pretty difficult to cover up most scars because you have to “fill in the hole”. I am not looking for the perfect temporary fix (though if you do have that I would be happy ha), I am just looking for something that I can use while I wait for the dermarolling/stamping (or whatever I choose to do) to start to help my scars look better. I figure that maybe my scars won’t bother me so bad if I can temporarily cover them up to at least some degree (while I wait for treatments). Does anyone use makeup or anything like that? If makeup is what you use I would prefer something not too “heavy” because I am a guy and I don’t exactly want everyone to know that I have makeup on (ya, makeup). My thought process is to sweep this “under the rug” the best that I can until I can make it better (if possible).

Any other tips and or tricks would be appreciated. It would also be really helpful if you could let me know where you get your stuff, how much it costs you, and how long the product lasts.

Like I said I am not looking for the perfect fix, just something that can help. Save the hate and negativity please.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

Edited by Pord

Silicon is the answer. But, what I do, appart from using a primer (it just... works) and a concealer (for the redness), is to put a silicon cream for scars. It's called Newgel and it was given to me by my doctor, but it works really great filling the dent and reducing the shine! Then I can put some powder over it to make it look natural. Weird, huh?

I've even tried mixing hair wax with makeup to create my own formula :D

Edited by DainBramaged

Silicon is the answer. But, what I do, appart from using a primer (it just... works) and a concealer (for the redness), is to put a silicon cream for scars. It's called Newgel and it was given to me by my doctor, but it works really great filling the dent and reducing the shine! Then I can put some powder over it to make it look natural. Weird, huh?

I've even tried mixing hair wax with makeup to create my own formula biggrin.png

Where do you get the silicone that you use? How much is it? How long does it last? What type of scars do you have? Etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I've even tried mixing hair wax with makeup to create my own formula biggrin.png

Where do you get the silicone that you use? How much is it? How long does it last? What type of scars do you have? Etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I got it from someone my surgeon suggested me, but it was very expensive, like 80 euros (together with some silicon sheets). My scars are from excisions, they are not too deep, nor too shallow either, but just covering them with makeup, concealer or whatever won't help, cause it highlights the indentation. So, silicon really helps with my case (and any case). I have now ordered Smashbox Photo Finish Targeted Pore & Line Primer, it seems ideal (and promising, since their primers are very good), so when I receive it I will tell you whether it is worth it.

Thanks for the reply.

I got it from someone my surgeon suggested me, but it was very expensive, like 80 euros (together with some silicon sheets). My scars are from excisions, they are not too deep, nor too shallow either, but just covering them with makeup, concealer or whatever won't help, cause it highlights the indentation. So, silicon really helps with my case (and any case). I have now ordered Smashbox Photo Finish Targeted Pore & Line Primer, it seems ideal (and promising, since their primers are very good), so when I receive it I will tell you whether it is worth it.

Cool thanks. Let me know how that goes. What do you use for concealer?

Thanks for the reply.

A random one. I use only a little before I apply the silicon on my scars, so it doesn't really matter. I've tested many products for the discoloration and if it was to use just one without anything else, I would choose Dermablend. It's thick and the most matte I've tried. But that's makeup.

Edited by DainBramaged

Thanks for the reply.

A random one. I use only a little before I apply the silicon on my scars, so it doesn't really matter. I've tested many products for the discoloration and if it was to use just one without anything else, I would choose Dermablend. It's thick and the most matte I've tried. But that's makeup.

Thanks for the reply.

No problem, never mind about what I said, the Dermablend product I'm talking about is supposed to be a primer. Not that it makes a difference...

Edited by DainBramaged

I can't :/

Why not?

No problem, never mind about what I said, the Dermablend product I'm talking about is supposed to be a primer. Not that it makes a difference...

I have been thinking about using http://www.makeupart...ions-45-91.html

I have no idea if it would work or not though.

If your scars don't have rough edges, then using tattoo cover and some powder over it would be a good idea. However, I know nothing about this specific concealer.

The ones on my face I can't hide I mean, I'm unwilling to wear makeup or something. No other way

I had the same though process, but now I am considering using something to cover them up while I do treatments and stuff like that.

Why not?

If your scars don't have rough edges, then using tattoo cover and some powder over it would be a good idea. However, I know nothing about this specific concealer.

I would think it has to be decent, the only problem is that I bet it is thick . . . it might be noticeable, but I have no idea.

The ones on my face I can't hide I mean, I'm unwilling to wear makeup or something. No other way

I had the same though process, but now I am considering using something to cover them up while I do treatments and stuff like that.

Why not?

I would think it has to be decent, the only problem is that I bet it is thick . . . it might be noticeable, but I have no idea.

Yes, it is supposed to be thick. If you want something lightweight, I suggest you get a primer to fill the scars a bit and then apply some foundation. Getting the correct tone is the most important thing if you don't want your coverage to be noticed.

It would help if you told me what you want the concealer for. Like, making pores less visible, hiding redness, both?

Edited by DainBramaged

Why not?

Yes, it is supposed to be thick. If you want something lightweight, I suggest you get a primer to fill the scars a bit and then apply some foundation. Getting the correct tone is the most important thing if you don't want your coverage to be noticed.

It would help if you told me what you want the concealer for. Like, making pores less visible, hiding redness, both?

A dew depressed shallow scars and a few shallow boxcars.

What types of scars do you have on your face and how many do you have (estimate)?

So, well, yeah, a high consistency primer would be useful before you apply anything else.

Cool thanks.

Edited by Pord

I can't estimate unless looking in a mirror, but they're only noticeable in certain lights, it's a full face of scarring

Alright.

Ya, most of mine you can only see in certain lighting. What have you tried so far?

only girls can wear make up, gentlemen get a-hold of yourselves.

Yeah, if I could avoid make up that would be ideal.

Though Hugh Jackman wears make up. . . .

I tried Smashbox Photo Finish Targeted Pore & Line Primer today. I think it is the best primer I've tried for my case. It looks very liquid at first, but if you let it dry on the skin, it can fill in the scars a lot (don't expect wonders though, it's just a primer), it is thicker than other products. Doesn't do much for the redness, since it's transparent, but you can combine it with a concealer, either before or after use. By the way, you are supposed to apply it topically. I trully recommend it.

Edited by DainBramaged

I tried Smashbox Photo Finish Targeted Pore & Line Primer today. I think it is the best primer I've tried for my case. It looks very liquid at first, but if you let it dry on the skin, it can fill in the scars a lot (don't expect wonders though, it's just a primer), it is thicker than other products. Doesn't do much for the redness, since it's transparent, but you can combine it with a concealer, either before or after use. By the way, you are supposed to apply it topically. I trully recommend it.

Thanks for the reply.