Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sorimachi

Does Laser really improve the sight of scars?

Its too early for me to say as I only recently had my second CO2, but I would caution you to expect only moderate improvement. Also your skin texture will go wierd and the laser will probably cause some more wierd marks/scarring.

:- No, it does not. I wound up with a severe case of cystic acne, thus causing new scars after my laser resurfacing. As for my old scars--no improvement whatsoever. And now my skin looks very coarse, like an orange peel.

When I first went in for consultation with one of the best laser doctors, I asked him if he ever had to re-do a person. He told me his method of laser-resurfacing is very effective, so that he's only had to re-do 2 patients out of hundreds of people he has done. I was told I'd get 80% improvement of my scars.

DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE LASER RESURFACING DOCTOR SAYS. I did, and am paying for it dearly.

Try other methods before considering laser.

I'd have to agree with the second treatment theory - worked for me - and I'm going again next summer hopefully

What type of laser is your doctor using on you?

Honolulu_Baby,

I know that nothing is definite when you have these types of procedures....but isnt there something you can do when you have very negative side effects that weren't supposed to happen? Like atleast get your money back or some extra money for your emotional hardships? Or did you sign some sort of contract?

Maybe if these doctors get sued they wont be so quick to sell their laser procedures like car salesmen.

Hi,

I too have suffered because of the CO2 laser. I went into the plastic looking to smooth out a couple of areas w/ spot dermabrading, but he talked me into the new and improved laser method (1997). I blindly went into this one and came out with skin that was worse.

First of all my entire face broke out in cold sores, I mean EVERYWHERE, it was sooooooo gross. This happened even though they put me on meds prior to surgery...be careful if you have EVER had a cold sore.

The redness took FOREVER to fade. My pores became HUGE. I developed a lovely case of acne that had been long gone prior to laser. I wound up with some rolling scars and a general dislike for the CO2 laser. I hope this info helps you and I wish you the best of luck!

*Misty :)/

I wound up with more scars as a result of laser surgery(Erbium YAG). ](*,) By the way i went to the same Dr.(Sullamain) as Gus Tomato and i also had 2 sessions of surgery done. Not trying to undermine what Gus said but it didn't work out for me. The scars were a little less deep after the surgery but i don't think it was worth it.

My scars were a mix of 'ice-pick', pock marks, rolling. They weren't even too deep. Situated on my temples

Hi Schwizzard,

I did sign a release form saying there was no guarantee, blah blah blah, but that does prevent me from suing.

I was told by my dermatologist and her friend (a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon) that I would take a year to heal. The plastic surgeon also stated that if you're prone to cysts before laser (even though your acne is under control), you will probably break out in huge cysts like I did afterwards. Even people who never break out develope millia after laser.

My laser doc also injected me with too-strong a solution of cortisone, which resulted in crevices. If he won't rectify that, I will take him to court, as that was his mistake.

You're right; if more people sued these laser-crazy doctors, they wouldn't be so eager to recommend it. Thanks for your post!