Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daniel0202

1 Week Break From Accutane? (Isotretinoin)

Hello,

I've recently started on accutane, and i've been on it for 2 days.

The thing is that I forgot to tell my doctor that I stopped taking my antibiotics (tetralysal, same as tetracyclin) pills the day before I started accutane.

So I sent him an email regarding me quitting antibiotics the day before and he wanted me to stop the accutane pills for 1 week and then start over again. Does this effect anything? Does it for example reduce the effect of accutane? I'm afraid that it wont work as good as it would be if I didn't take the 1 week break.

Regards,

Daniel

Edited by Daniel0202

I believe you need to have tetralysal out of your system a week before you start accutane but don't quote me on that, thats just what Ive read on here. Good luck with the accutane by the way, i'm on it 10mg since 18th november for rosacea and it's really starting to work!! By only raking it for 2 days it won't make any difference to the effectiveness.

All the best

I believe you need to have tetralysal out of your system a week before you start accutane but don't quote me on that, thats just what Ive read on here. Good luck with the accutane by the way, i'm on it 10mg since 18th november for rosacea and it's really starting to work!! By only raking it for 2 days it won't make any difference to the effectiveness.

All the best

Ah, I hope so! Thank you so much. So good that its working on you! I hope it works on me too :) Hopefully! Good luck to you too!

Regards

Daniel

I'd like to share my story of acne and tell you that I think I have finally found a cheap and natural way of controlling my hormones. I am a 32 year old woman and have suffered with acne since I was 19. Funnily enough I developed acne not long after cutting out red meat from my diet and sometimes I wonder if this is the reason. Anyway, like all of you, I hated my acne and it got me really down, so I took Dianette for about seven years and then Yasmin for 6. I had breaks in between but my acne always came back after a month or two, families of spots around my chin, lips and sometimes huge ones on my forehead.

About a month ago I came off the pill yet again, mainly because my husband and I want a baby. I thought we could use protection until my body got back to normal. I started taking folic acid (as this is strongly recommended for mums to be) and was terrfied of my acne coming back, so did lots of research on acne forums and found that fish oil (not cod liver oil) is supposed to help regulate oil production. So I bought this too, which made my skin so soft and made me feel great. However, after 2 weeks I woke up with a huge spot on my chin and notoced my skin was really oily and that lots of tiny little spots under my skin were ready to pop up in the usual places.

Frantically I researched more and more and bought some zinc and vitamin B5 (panthenoic acid) the next day. I didn't take mega doses of B5, only 500mg (which is already 8,333% RDA), even though others recommend a mega dose. This is because I only had a few zits so far. The next day my skin was far less oily and since I've been taking this, my acne hasn't come back at all! I have been taking panthenoic acid for tow weeks and my skin is clear. I still have a redd mark from that bog spot on my chin, but so what? I think for anyone who has acne and wants a more natural way of overcoming it should clear their skin first through either taking antibiotics or the pill and while their skin is clear take the following:

Vitamin B5

Fish oil (omega3)

Zinc

(I take Iron with vitamin C and folic acid too, but this is because I am preparing my body for pregnancy and am a pescatarian)

I wouldn't recommend taking more than 500mg of B5 though, maybe better do it how I did. I'm so happy, I've never liked taking the pill, it gives me cellulite, makes me down and physically slower. If you have acne, please take my advice. By the way, you might be thinking my skin is clear because I am pregnant, well I'm not because my period finished today (1 month after stopping the pill).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe antibiotics, or specifically minocyclin only have a half-life of about 24 hours. You are on a tetrayclin so I'm not sure about that one. But I guess to be safe, take a week break.

Edit: Just looked it up, and tetracyclin has a half-life of only 6-8 hours But again, be safe and do the doctor's orders...

Edited by blooper111

I'd like to share my story of acne and tell you that I think I have finally found a cheap and natural way of controlling my hormones. I am a 32 year old woman and have suffered with acne since I was 19. Funnily enough I developed acne not long after cutting out red meat from my diet and sometimes I wonder if this is the reason. Anyway, like all of you, I hated my acne and it got me really down, so I took Dianette for about seven years and then Yasmin for 6. I had breaks in between but my acne always came back after a month or two, families of spots around my chin, lips and sometimes huge ones on my forehead.

About a month ago I came off the pill yet again, mainly because my husband and I want a baby. I thought we could use protection until my body got back to normal. I started taking folic acid (as this is strongly recommended for mums to be) and was terrfied of my acne coming back, so did lots of research on acne forums and found that fish oil (not cod liver oil) is supposed to help regulate oil production. So I bought this too, which made my skin so soft and made me feel great. However, after 2 weeks I woke up with a huge spot on my chin and notoced my skin was really oily and that lots of tiny little spots under my skin were ready to pop up in the usual places.

Frantically I researched more and more and bought some zinc and vitamin B5 (panthenoic acid) the next day. I didn't take mega doses of B5, only 500mg (which is already 8,333% RDA), even though others recommend a mega dose. This is because I only had a few zits so far. The next day my skin was far less oily and since I've been taking this, my acne hasn't come back at all! I have been taking panthenoic acid for tow weeks and my skin is clear. I still have a redd mark from that bog spot on my chin, but so what? I think for anyone who has acne and wants a more natural way of overcoming it should clear their skin first through either taking antibiotics or the pill and while their skin is clear take the following:

Vitamin B5

Fish oil (omega3)

Zinc

(I take Iron with vitamin C and folic acid too, but this is because I am preparing my body for pregnancy and am a pescatarian)

I wouldn't recommend taking more than 500mg of B5 though, maybe better do it how I did. I'm so happy, I've never liked taking the pill, it gives me cellulite, makes me down and physically slower. If you have acne, please take my advice. By the way, you might be thinking my skin is clear because I am pregnant, well I'm not because my period finished today (1 month after stopping the pill).

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it :) And i'm glad that it worked for you!

Anyhow - i'm still going for the accutane. I've actually used zinc and omega3 and didn't notice any big difference.

I've been using so many products in these last few years, and i'm too tired of it.

So accutane is my last chance now... And i'm really hoping this will work for me!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe antibiotics, or specifically minocyclin only have a half-life of about 24 hours. You are on a tetrayclin so I'm not sure about that one. But I guess to be safe, take a week break.

Edit: Just looked it up, and tetracyclin has a half-life of only 6-8 hours But again, be safe and do the doctor's orders...

Thank you for your answer.

Well, that sucks. But I mean, waiting 1 week is NO problem. The only thing i'm worried about is if the medicine is going to be reduced because I took a break from it.

But where did you read that?

Regards

Daniel

Vitamin B5

Fish oil (omega3)

Zinc

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it smile.png And i'm glad that it worked for you!

Anyhow - i'm still going for the accutane. I've actually used zinc and omega3 and didn't notice any big difference.

I've been using so many products in these last few years, and i'm too tired of it.

So accutane is my last chance now... And i'm really hoping this will work for me!

Well, that sucks. But I mean, waiting 1 week is NO problem. The only thing i'm worried about is if the medicine is going to be reduced because I took a break from it.

Regards

Daniel

http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/content/58/2/256.full

Yeah, I'm actually on my 7th day of 80mg daily. I don't think it will reduce it's effects because it probably hasn't even started working yet. I'm just getting dry lips and face today.

Vitamin B5

Fish oil (omega3)

Zinc

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it smile.png And i'm glad that it worked for you!

Regards

Daniel

http://jac.oxfordjou...t/58/2/256.full

Yeah, I'm actually on my 7th day of 80mg daily. I don't think it will reduce it's effects because it probably hasn't even started working yet. I'm just getting dry lips and face today.

80mg? wow i'm only on 20mg. But I was taking 2 pills to dinner for 2 weeks, then going over to 3 pills.

So, the effect doesn't start before you notice dryness? I didnt get any sideffects. I've only swallowed 4 pills though, so no surprise.

Did your doctor tell you to come back after a month to take a new blood test? He told me, but since I have to wait another week - i'll have to come back in 3 weeks instead. I really don't hope that any of this causes any disturbance of the medication.

I know, when I saw 80mg I was like WTF! I'm only 165lbs, so thats a lot to start off on...But doctors know best (Actually the guy that gave me 80mg is only a PA)

And yeah, I have my next monthly visit January 3rd. I'll probably get my blood done a couple days before, but its going to be a weird time because of New Years and all, So i'll probably get blood drawn either the 28th or 29th so I can have it in time for the 3rd

Edited by blooper111

I know, when I saw 80mg I was like WTF! I'm only 165lbs, so thats a lot to start off on...But doctors know best (Actually the guy that gave me 80mg is only a PA)

And yeah, I have my next monthly visit January 3rd. I'll probably get my blood done a couple days before, but its going to be a weird time because of New Years and all, So i'll probably get blood drawn either the 28th or 29th so I can have it in time for the 3rd

Crazy. I'm about 6.4ft and my weight is 86.4.

I see, well I guess it's okay to take the blood test even if it hasnt gone 4 weeks. 3 weeks is close so.

My visit will be January 6

I'm only 130 pounds and the doctor just put me on 80 mg a day too. Hopefully I don't blow!

Haha! Well, the higher dose - the bigger are side effects. So if you get really bad, you should obv go to the doc.

Good luck!

So my acne hasn't come back and this is what I am taking daily:

1 Fish oil capsule/day (omega 3): fish body oil= 1000mg, providing omega3 350mg of which EPA 180mg and DHA 120mg, they are sainsburys own

1 zinc tablet daily: 15mg

1 pantothenic acid (vit B5) daily: 500mg

(I'm taking iron and folic acid too, but this is because I don't eat meat)

I swear it is the B5 that's working, but remember that I started to take it before my acne started coming back and yeah, it gives me dry lips too. If your lips are dry that's a good sign and shows that it's breaking down oil, I think you probably have to wait a little longer than me, because you're starting out with more acne than me.

You know this is the first time in my life that something natural has worked on stopping my acne.

Hi Daniel,

If ever Accutane does not work for you, you might want to consider trying Dermify, which is a 100% natural and organic acne treatment.

While Accutane has quite a high success rate, it does not work for everyone and unfortunately did not work for me. It was way too aggressive for my skin and did not clear it completely. As I was looking for a natural remedy, I discovered Dermify on Amazon and have been pleasantly surprised by how well it clears the skin while keeping it moisturized. Plus it has no side-effects in comparison with other alternatives. Hope that helps!