Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
liko12

What Kind Of Acne Is This? (Newbie Question)

Hi, I have some pores on my face that are clogged with yellow/grayish things. They are not liquids, because I can squeeze them out by squeezing the skin surrounding the filled pore, and I've used pore strips to get things things out too. They usually fill back in after getting them out. They are all over my nose and are on part of my cheek area next to my nose too. The pores are visible to the naked eye just by looking in the mirror.

I really don't know what this kind of acne is, and I've checked the types of acne page here, and it doesn't match any of the types described there. Thus, I really don't know what kind of treatment to use. I've been using general over the counter acne products and pore strips, but they don't really seem to work.

Occasionally, I do get cysts, or a pustule.

Can someone tell me what kind of acne this is and the best way to stop it? I can provide pictures if necessary.

On a side note: my skin has been really dry (flaky) over the past few months as it got colder (mostly my cheeks), but my nose has seen a bit of drying as well. I wouldn't really call my face oily (I don't see too much oil if I pass my hand on my nose), although during the summer, my nose and parts of my face does seem to get oily, although that might just be sweat.

Thanks!

Guest Timehealsall

Hi, I have some pores on my face that are clogged with yellow/grayish things. They are not liquids, because I can squeeze them out by squeezing the skin surrounding the filled pore, and I've used pore strips to get things things out too. They usually fill back in after getting them out. They are all over my nose and are on part of my cheek area next to my nose too. The pores are visible to the naked eye just by looking in the mirror.

I really don't know what this kind of acne is, and I've checked the types of acne page here, and it doesn't match any of the types described there. Thus, I really don't know what kind of treatment to use. I've been using general over the counter acne products and pore strips, but they don't really seem to work.

Occasionally, I do get cysts, or a pustule.

Can someone tell me what kind of acne this is and the best way to stop it? I can provide pictures if necessary.

On a side note: my skin has been really dry (flaky) over the past few months as it got colder (mostly my cheeks), but my nose has seen a bit of drying as well. I wouldn't really call my face oily (I don't see too much oil if I pass my hand on my nose), although during the summer, my nose and parts of my face does seem to get oily, although that might just be sweat.

Thanks!

have you ever taken oral antibiotics recently?

I think what you have is seborrheic dermatits related.

BTW, cysts are not the same thing as pustules.

Yeah, I think that does sound like seborrheic dermatitis. I normally get it over winter, when stressed, or simply a change of seasons. For me it's normally red patches, then oily then yellowish then flaking.

Seborrhoeic_dermatitis.jpg

From wikipedia.

You should probably see a doctor to help you treat it. Normally treatment involves a mild steroid topical cream, or something called Selsun Gold (sulfur based stuff).

I thought it sounded like sebaceous filaments. This link is pretty helpful in differentiating between those and balckheads.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/546911-difference-between-blackheads-sebaceous-filaments/

My nose pores are also filled with what seems like whitish plugs. And I used to use the pore strips, but they just come back- and I found I was more likely to get pimples if I used the pore strips than if I left my pores alone. Thankfully, I'm not really bothered by them.

If it's oily, vitamin B5 might help, as this breaks down excess oil (it's basically cured my acne after 12 years of trying everything under the moon, I started taking it a couple of weeks ago, not in megadoses though, 500mg/day)

I think sebaceous filaments sound more like what I have, although I can't really find any pictures online. The descriptions of sebaceous filaments do sound like what I have. I read that products containing benzoyl peroxide can lighten their appearance (http://voices.yahoo....ds-6387426.html this person on acne.org also has a regimen using that http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/307071-found-a-regime-that-helped-my-sebaceous-filaments-problem/), but from experience, what do you guys think is the best way to reduce their appearance?

Would reducing pore size help, and if so, how do I reduce pore size?

Thanks!

Edited by liko12

Interesting, I've never heard of that before. But if it's sebaceous gland related then zinc will generally also help, and perhaps some BP and/or AHA+.