Notifications
Clear all

Stopping Doxycycline... What To Do?

MemberMember
(@viejo91)

Posted : 12/08/2011 12:01 am

So i've been on Doxycycline for about two, two and a half months... it took almost up until a week ago for me to really see its effects, and I must say my skin is looking sooo much better than it did two months ago. I have maybe two small spots on my jawline and those have already pretty much dried up...

The thing is, i keep reading about these antibiotics and it seems like the negatives (for me) are outweighing the positives. This is my first antibiotic that i've taken for acne... is it really true that some people have had their acne come back even worse after stopping antibiotics?

And the thought that it will one day just stop working, that my body won't react to it any more...well that bothers me too.

So i have about seven pills left, and i was wondering if i could get advice from people who have taken Doxycycline only for a short amount of time and what happened when they stopped.

Did you breakout really bad? Or what did you do to prevent it from happening? Is it ok if i just stop them cold turkey?

The last week i've been taking a lot of supplements, some being Omega 3, antioxidants, and a packet of about six vitamins that include fish oil, niacin, etc

I think i want to start a probiotic, and stay away from antibiotics. Any suggestions?

So far my regimen is :

Morning wash with Avon Clear Skin SA Cleanser

Wash again with Neutragena BP cleanser

Take 1 100 MG doxy

Night, same thing except skip the doxy and apply neosporin to any redmarks

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

MemberMember
(@mreverest)

Posted : 12/08/2011 12:34 am

hi, for my moderate acne, my derm prescribed me doxycyline and duac. He gave me 3 days worth of doxycyline and 3 sample tubes of duac gel which lasted for like 3 weeks and after the pills ran out, I went to my local pharmacy to buy more pills, and they told me it cost about 600 dollars even with insurance and i said fuck that i am not paying that much so i used the pills for 3 days and then stopped and have been using duac gel by itself and my acne is about 90% gone. for me the pills didnt really do anything maybe its because i only used it for 3 days, but eventually u will have to come of the pill, u cant live on pill for ever, especially for acne hahaha

MemberMember
(@travelzd)

Posted : 12/08/2011 2:10 am

I am taking the same thing. my advice is to not read about side effects. If you are experiencing them then thats another thing... but if it works stick with it. I took it before and then stopped now I am going to give it another try.... Either way you def def def want to be on a probiotic or even better eat yogurt or kefir: this is a must if u stop it or if u stay on.

hi, for my moderate acne, my derm prescribed me doxycyline and duac. He gave me 3 days worth of doxycyline and 3 sample tubes of duac gel which lasted for like 3 weeks and after the pills ran out, I went to my local pharmacy to buy more pills, and they told me it cost about 600 dollars even with insurance and i said fuck that i am not paying that much so i used the pills for 3 days and then stopped and have been using duac gel by itself and my acne is about 90% gone. for me the pills didnt really do anything maybe its because i only used it for 3 days, but eventually u will have to come of the pill, u cant live on pill for ever, especially for acne hahaha

MemberMember
(@ivy-2)

Posted : 12/08/2011 2:20 am

If you quitting an antibiotic I suggest tapering off of it.

I got off of minocycline about 2 months ago and I started by taking a pill every other day for a week....then a pill every 2 days for a week, then a pill every 3 days for a week, then a pill every 4 days, etc

It's a slow process but I didn't get a breakout at ALL after stopping. My acne slowly came back over the course of 2 months but no BAD breakout.

MemberMember
(@mreverest)

Posted : 12/08/2011 3:18 am

I am taking the same thing. my advice is to not read about side effects. If you are experiencing them then thats another thing... but if it works stick with it. I took it before and then stopped now I am going to give it another try.... Either way you def def def want to be on a probiotic or even better eat yogurt or kefir: this is a must if u stop it or if u stay on.

my doxy was free(some pharmacys do this with generic antibiotics, I alwasy call diffrent ones for the ebst price of a drug) it is an old school drug and should bever cost more than 10$ I do not have insurance. I would guess it was the duac that cost that much, I was on it before and it was 140$ a tube

Ya i didnt want to get the generic but the tube without insurance would've of costed me 256 but with insurance i got it for 35 dollars

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 12/08/2011 5:39 am

Whatever you do, do not go abruptly go off of this medication. Since this medication is an anti-biotic, it needs to be stopped slowly. For example, instead of taking the medication twice a day every day, try to go one pill a day, everyday. Also, make sure you talk about this with your doctor.

MemberMember
(@viejo91)

Posted : 12/08/2011 7:27 am

I mean luckily for me i have not experienced any side effects... and for me it's free, i have navy healthcare... i don't think i'll be able to get in with my doctor for another week. i'm just worried i will become dependent on it and when i eventually need to stop taking them, i will go back to having terrible skin :( but maybe one or two more months wouldnt hurt. i'll definitely talk to my doctor.

thanks everyone!

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 12/08/2011 8:27 am

If you feel like it might curb things and improve your skin overall, worth a shot. I started seeing results on Doxy after just two weeks and I'm at the end of my third month now. I'm going to get another three months worth next week. It will last me long er though because I'll do two months at my prescribed dosage of 100mg each day, then reduce it to every other day I reckon and slow it down.

Prior to this, I was taking Lymecycline. I'd been on it nine months and it the end it was doing nothing. I asked my doctor at the time what I should and she said I should stop taking it and see what happens. So at the end I just stopped like she said and the resulting breakouts were the worst I've had in thirteen years of acne. It was horrible and they were so stubborn, and I know know it's because I just stopped them dead. Doctors...

MemberMember
(@jd493)

Posted : 12/13/2011 12:58 am

For me the Doxycycline has been a life saver. I've been using it since March of this year and the amount of breakouts has gone down by at least 95%. I pay for the doctor app which is about $80 and about $20 for a month supply of Doxycycline (two pills a day). I wish I'd find it in the pharmacies though so I don't have to pay for doctor visit, the pharmacies I've gone to won't sell it without a prescription.

Anyways, around June-July I ran out of pills and after about two weeks I got a lot of breakouts (I didn't think about stop using it slowly like posters above suggest), luckily it didn't get as bad as before taking the pills. I went back to the doctor to get more and within a week or two my skin got clear again and right now it's the clearest it's ever been in over a year, in terms of breakouts because the scarring and acne marks are still a big issue. I haven't notice any side effects either.

So basically I've been on them for about 7 months and they're still working fine for me. I'll be out soon as well so I'll start to slowly come off it. Hopefully I don't breakout again and I hope you don't either! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@idolator)

Posted : 12/14/2011 9:31 am

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT suddenly stop taking Doxycycline. I did that back in October and had the WORST breakout of my life, the breakout lasted for nearly 2 months; horrible, horrible decision. I am now left with tons of red marks because of that breakout, when before I stopped taking Doxy, I was FINALLY red mark free after a year of battling hundreds of red marks. Totally not worth it at all....

If you're going to stop taking it, I recommend slowly going off it and having another antibiotic ready to take instead of it.

MemberMember
(@casablancaa)

Posted : 12/16/2011 4:26 am

I was on Doxycycline for 1 to 2 years, it made me clear, and then it stopped working, as we all know the power of antibiotics doesn't last forever. I then went to minocycline which is an amazing antibiotic, and is much more potent than Doxy, but I know antibiotics are not a longterm solution which is why I've been on birth control pills since I was 18.

MemberMember
(@tw24wright)

Posted : 07/16/2013 6:33 pm

I am reaching out to all of you. Ever since October of 2012 I have been told my many dermatologists I have rosacea. I have the rosacea that causes the acne like bumps/pustules. I was on Doxycycline 100 mg every day once a day for 4 months. I have used finacea, clindamycin, sodium sulfacetamide lotion, and have not been able to get my face to clear for maybe no more than 4-5 days. I believe the only trigger I can relate this to is stress the most. I stopped taking the Doxycycline 4 days ago after seeing a new dermatologist. She prescribed me the sodium sulfacetamide cleanser and sodium sulfacetamide sulfur foam. I know getting upset about it is making the issue worse, but I don't know if I will ever be normal again. There is no family history of rosacea in my family. Its as if I woke up one day and just wasn't normal anymore. Since I stopped taking the rosacea, my face has suddently started to break out the worst it has since all this began. The newest dermatologist told me to give it 2-3 more weeks, that stopping the doxycycline and using the new topical sodium sulfacetamide cleanser and foam is probably causing the breakout. I am starting to wonder if there is anything out there that will help me get this under control. Is there anyone else out there that has been in this situation? Its as though I cant find the right combination to at least get it under control. I know its uncureable.