Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viny

Does Caffeine Affect Acne?

If so, in what way?

I really like to drink coffee and attend to any close starbucks when possible, but i've been told by some people (especially my family) that the amounts of caffeine can make your face worse and it's not a good drink to have when you have acne. I've tried to prove it by stopping my caffeine intake but nothing happens and my breakouts are the same and sometimes even get worse.

If so, in what way?

I really like to drink coffee and attend to any close starbucks when possible, but i've been told by some people (especially my family) that the amounts of caffeine can make your face worse and it's not a good drink to have when you have acne. I've tried to prove it by stopping my caffeine intake but nothing happens and my breakouts are the same and sometimes even get worse.

I know caffeine causes me to break out. Not just break out, but it's bad for your body, almost any research you do about it will tell you that. I do still intake caffeine but it smaller quantities. I won't intake more caffeine than what's in a cup of green tea for example. Coffee is a habit you can quit, but it will probably take some time. I used to drink black tea (the most caffeine of any tea, other than yerba mate), every single morning. Now I drink green or something else herbal, but it took me a while to switch. It might take a while for it to get out of your body for the positive effects to show, but it's worth a try. Then again, it might not irritate your acne. It most definitely effects mine, and many other people on here have said the same thing.

For how long have you stopped? Acne can be a combination of many things and foods. Maybe if you quit for a few months, then you might notice a difference.

I personally, don't like coffee, so I rarely drink it. However, I love Frapuccino, so I drink it about twice a month.

Well, one time i asked this to my previous dermatologist (back where i was living) if caffeine affected and she told me that it doesn't, but the temperature of the drink (coffee is served usually very hot) and coffee's diuretic properties caused the body to get dry and the acne bacteria grows easier. So that's why im always wondering about if it's really true that it affects it or not :P

Well, Caffeine can increase your adrenaline system to produce stress hormones, and stress leads to acne...

I used to drink coffee every day and once i stopped, my acne wasn't as inflamed or cystic. But I don't eat gluten or dairy anymore, so it could be a combination of things.

This is controversial. Some say it does, some say it doesn't. It's pretty much a case by case basis. Some people can eat dairy and have baby smooth skin while others have to avoid it like the plague. Yes, stress causes acne but does caffeine actually cause stress in your body? Who really knows. I know that when I drink coffee it doesn't stress me out any more than worrying about my acne does. Sometimes taking all the energy to avoid this and that and do this and that and watch this and that causes more stress than it would be to just let go and LIVE LIFE. You know what I mean? I say drink the coffee if it makes you feel good. Feeling food is sure as heck not going to hurt your skin.

Caffeine has never been a trigger for me in the least. And I used to drink copious amounts of black coffee. But that's me and you might be more sensitive to its effects.

I never found caffeine, or other stimulants to have any effect on acne. For some people it may have an adverse effect, but my guess is the individuals tolerance to stimulants in general.

I used to take 600-800mg caffeine a day, along with 24-32mg ephedrine, it had no effect on acne.

It's case by case with caffeine. Remember a lot of people have milk in their tea so it could (again) be a dairy issue.

I never found caffeine, or other stimulants to have any effect on acne. For some people it may have an adverse effect, but my guess is the individuals tolerance to stimulants in general.

I used to take 600-800mg caffeine a day, along with 24-32mg ephedrine, it had no effect on acne.

It's case by case with caffeine. Remember a lot of people have milk in their tea so it could (again) be a dairy issue.

Same with ephedrine or EC (ephedrine+caffeine) stack for me. Take approx 50mg of ephedrine a day with ~200mg of caffeine. Never noticed any breakout from them personally.