Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
electthedead01

Should I Stop Using Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash?

Hey guys I was wondering if I should switch from neutrogenas oil free pink grapefuit salacylic acid acne fash wash to the cetaphil oily to normal skin face wash?

I got clear off of neutrogenas product about a year ago and have been using it for almost 2 and a half years already. I stay about 70% clear with it but I am never 100% clear. I eat a very good diet and lifestlye as well.

So should I switch to cetaphils more gentler cleanser?

What do YOU use to wash your face with???

Please help :)

stop using the neutrogena face wash. its very drying and irritating.

http://www.beautyped...9wLHZAb8xpNRuY=

the cetaphil cleanser is much better.

http://www.beautyped...rF5SIebTJ4bolU=

id recommend Clean and Clear foaming facial cleanser, sensitive skin.

http://www.beautyped...NbC0xTyF30qytw=

and an exfoliant containing 2% salicylic acid, Neutrogena acne stress control 3 in 1 hydrating acne treatment

http://www.beautyped...edkbRoah6Lo0qI=

Edited by Nelo18

I would not use that. Acne starts beneath the skin, not on the surface, contrary to popular belief. So washing your face with all that funky stuff will not make acne go away. However, I'm speaking from personal experience, but many other people on this forum would agree that face washes don't work.

I used that exact Neutrogena grapefruit face wash for a good while and my skin was SO BAD the entire time. I think it's way too harsh and drying. For me, even Cetaphil made my skin dry and tight. The best thing I've ever done was purchase CeraVe's hydrating lotion cleanser. It completely restored my skin's equilibrium, clean and fresh but with moisture retention..and I have not broken out since I started using it (this is unheard of for me, by the way) Give it a try!

Thanks for the replies you guys. :D

i think ive come to a verdict, right now my face is clearing again probably due to the fact that i started my "super healthy" diet again.

so once i get 90% clear, i will switch to cetaphil.

sounds like a plan :D

thats if i even get 90% clear.

I would not use that. Acne starts beneath the skin, not on the surface, contrary to popular belief. So washing your face with all that funky stuff will not make acne go away. However, I'm speaking from personal experience, but many other people on this forum would agree that face washes don't work.

I 100% agree with this comment. And would also like to note that soaps (for me anyways) always took it from its natural normal state, and always made it dry. I use just cold water to splash my face, that is all, see my success story in that thread if you wish.

I 100% agree with this comment. And would also like to note that soaps (for me anyways) always took it from its natural normal state, and always made it dry. I use just cold water to splash my face, that is all, see my success story in that thread if you wish.

Yep. Not washing my face cleared most of my inflammations. Ever since I stopped washing my face like an obsessive maniac, my skin started looking like skin again. Oh...and moisturizer.

Yep. Not washing my face cleared most of my inflammations. Ever since I stopped washing my face like an obsessive maniac, my skin started looking like skin again. Oh...and moisturizer.

You use moisturizer? If so, is your natural skin type dry? I myself stay clear of any chemicals on my face even moisturizer.

I use that too. my mom wont let me get any gentle cleanser cause she says "Thats not gonna do anything for your skin!" fdgkjkdfkg she annoys me. But I have used purpose before (thanks grandma!) and it works pretty well, i think its better than cetaphil.

You use moisturizer? If so, is your natural skin type dry? I myself stay clear of any chemicals on my face even moisturizer.

I used to have oily skin. But in the past I have used so many skin washes that my skin is very dry now. If I don't moisturize, I can feel the dryness all day long.

I started doing avocado and peach mask. They're amazing at moisturizing, especially avocado.

I use that too. my mom wont let me get any gentle cleanser cause she says "Thats not gonna do anything for your skin!" fdgkjkdfkg she annoys me. But I have used purpose before (thanks grandma!) and it works pretty well, i think its better than cetaphil.

The reason soaps are drying and not good for skin is the SLS ingredient. You should google search SLS, and read how it is not very good for the skin and many people are actually allergic to SLS and other surfactants; which can create skin rash and acne.

You can do a simple test at home, and I challenge you to. Go get your dishwasher soap, your laundry detergent, your toothpaste, and your face soap. All of those contain SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate, or a chemical very similar). This is what makes the soap bubble, it is a cheap ingredient and that's why it is in so many products. Even purpose contains it. Reading labels these days goes a long way, do not put anything on your skin unless you know what it is, otherwise it is a 50/50 gamble to whether or not it will harm you or not.

I used to have oily skin. But in the past I have used so many skin washes that my skin is very dry now. If I don't moisturize, I can feel the dryness all day long.

I started doing avocado and peach mask. They're amazing at moisturizing, especially avocado.

I have read a couple of stories regarding young college girls having extremely dry skin due to using laundry detergent as face soap in their teens. I felt so bad after seeing those stories, but I have heard that once you alter your skins moisture levels that much you just never get it back, has that been true in your case too?

Edited by steven m jacobson

Why would anyone in their right mind use laundry detergent on their face? Anyway, after one day realizing that my skin is getting drier and drier but acne does not get better, I decided to change my acne fighting tactics.

Lately, I noticed that not over-washing my face, moisturizing, and doing avocado masks slowly improving my texture. My skin used to be a red mess, and now it's extremely soft and smooth.

Why would anyone in their right mind use laundry detergent on their face? Anyway, after one day realizing that my skin is getting drier and drier but acne does not get better, I decided to change my acne fighting tactics.

Lately, I noticed that not over-washing my face, moisturizing, and doing avocado masks slowly improving my texture. My skin used to be a red mess, and now it's extremely soft and smooth.

Great to hear your gradual success, good thing you smarted up on soap. The two girls that used the soap were from China, were very poor and it was all they could get their hands on. But they both bought into the "need" for "clean" skin; without thinking about the damage they were doing, and now they realize their mistake, but a bit too late at this point.

Just in case anyone came in here thinking about facewashes, I would highly suggest the one I've been using at night - it's pricey, but damn good - Dr. Hauschka's cleansing milk. Amazing and gentle and doesn't mess up your pH.

Oatmeal works wonders too!

Yeah, I don't trust any of that Neutrogena stuff. Has loads of weirdness in it.

I don't like Cetaphil or Neutrogena (especially the pink grapefruit) but if you aren't looking for your cleanser to do much of anything Cetaphil is okay. I'd rather go with Purpose, Aveeno, or something a little more beneficial for your skin though.

Just in case anyone came in here thinking about facewashes, I would highly suggest the one I've been using at night - it's pricey, but damn good - Dr. Hauschka's cleansing milk. Amazing and gentle and doesn't mess up your pH.

Dr. Hauschka's cleansing milk SUCKS...DO NOT BUY!!!

http://www.beautypedia.com/search.aspx?bid=104&k=cleansing+milk&rid=%2c1%2c2%2c3%2c4%2c5%2c6%2c7%2c&sf=%2c1%2c2%2c3%2c4%2c#&&VsTRDGtTlSAmKSFwhJ34M4N4Z3ISqzeNIGboNW4k/WzLN8FO5A4uXP/DlDOp9U//0lQDzvhnqsNgxTQQA/XX5XROAcyTKoN/+FubfaaPgnBJXnbu6/GmQwtgGNjFksVVegcCoIQenC6g2MSGjiIZ5fXgR/eicN1WZtCf02ZOhBW3Wad9n/oHIfoc574Re0Kx9OYCEqcEA3O1oYAkAl4swyCER06cEHWAirrGLyBUQeFbLX2te6mAZW/q81o=

I don't like Cetaphil or Neutrogena (especially the pink grapefruit) but if you aren't looking for your cleanser to do much of anything Cetaphil is okay. I'd rather go with Purpose, Aveeno, or something a little more beneficial for your skin though.

Purpose and Clean & Clean foaming facial cleanser, sensitive skin are literally the same, just different packaging.

Clean & Clear is also cheaper, about $4.

Dr. Hauschka's cleansing milk SUCKS...DO NOT BUY!!!

http://www.beautyped...X2te6mAZW/q81o=

Woah!!! i dont know how i missed that!! What...

Okay, I'm returning it. I don't get it though -- it claims to be pH balanced, and honestly, it makes my face feel GREAT when I use it... how is that possible?

Also, what facial cleansers CAN i use? I feel like there's NOTHING. -___-

The reason soaps are drying and not good for skin is the SLS ingredient. You should google search SLS, and read how it is not very good for the skin and many people are actually allergic to SLS and other surfactants; which can create skin rash and acne.

You can do a simple test at home, and I challenge you to. Go get your dishwasher soap, your laundry detergent, your toothpaste, and your face soap. All of those contain SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate, or a chemical very similar). This is what makes the soap bubble, it is a cheap ingredient and that's why it is in so many products. Even purpose contains it. Reading labels these days goes a long way, do not put anything on your skin unless you know what it is, otherwise it is a 50/50 gamble to whether or not it will harm you or not.

I have read a couple of stories regarding young college girls having extremely dry skin due to using laundry detergent as face soap in their teens. I felt so bad after seeing those stories, but I have heard that once you alter your skins moisture levels that much you just never get it back, has that been true in your case too?

you saved my life there, thanks :) I'm gonna stop using it asap

Wow....people do stupid things. From now on I will listen to what my skin/body really wants...not what someone else says I should do...

you saved my life there, thanks smile.png I'm gonna stop using it asap

I just read the cetaphil ingredients. it said sodium lauryl sulfate O.O now what am i supposed to use? nsfdjdfg grrrr

I just read the cetaphil ingredients. it said sodium lauryl sulfate O.O now what am i supposed to use? nsfdjdfg grrrr

Hi,

There are several SLS free soaps out there, I have no idea what they are. I would suggest googling it to find out, and/or searching amazon for SLS free soaps. I do not use facial cleanser on my skin as it destroys my skins natural oil levels and acid mantle, so I am no help in that department. If you need help searching for some let me know I will do my best. Good luck.