Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PaulyD

Plastic Surgeon Refused To Excise My Scars

Hey guys went to a plastic surgeon who I have seen before again yesterday and after reexamining my boxcar scars he said he refuses to excise them because the potential reward does not outweigh the risk. I liked how honest he was informing me of the fact that the excised scar may sink and form a depressed scar, may raise and form a raised scar, may take several months of horrid looks to come good etc - things I already knew ofcourse. There's another plastic surgeon who I have also seen previously who I plan to see again at the end of this month - Doctor Charles Cope. This recent doc told me he trained under Cope and that if Cope thinks he can do it, Im in very capable hands. Thing is I've already seen Cope who said he would excise my worst scars however did explain potential risks and guaranteed that in the best case scenario it would take several months to see an ideal outcome.

So I've been starring in the mirror examining my scars really contemplating risk vs reward. I know there ee a few scars that will bother me deeply for the rest of my life. In all honesty, this consultation approaching will decide whether or not i go with excision. What are my options though? Spend 600 a year for the next 40 years on dangerous fillers? I've done it all. Several fraxels multiple subcisions peels creams stamping for 9 Months.....

The outcome may not be perfect, but if the scars are bad, I don't think you have something to lose. At the moment, I'm not super pleased with my last excisions (which are fresh anyway), but I can safely say the result is much more preferable than the previous scars, so I can't say I regret doing it either.

I just don't know what to do. I was trying to explain to the PS why I can't stand certain acne scars and he mentioned a couple times that my skin will never be as smooth as my non scarred skin - I KNOW THAT Doc!! Please others your input is much needed.

the scars from excision will possibly be bigger/ worse that the scar you have now, thats the doctors concern

but if you would do ANYTHING to change the scars into a different type, if psychologically you cant face them as they are, then take the warning, and find a doctor who will do it.

sometimes its easier to live with a fancy story for a surgical scar, than to look at the truth in the mirror

When a doctor tells you not to have a procedure that the doctor would have made money from, it is a good idea to listen. In 2007 I had a PS tell me not to bother with Fraxel Re:store for acne scars and he had the machine. I waited and a year later Fraxel Re:pair was released and I have done 5 of them. I just went to a PS to research a face, neck and eyelid lift in addition to a nose job, and he advised me against the nose job although his fee would have been $6,000 for the nose job.

Well this surgeon made it clear that "i'm a surgeon, if I don't cut people open I make no money". I loved his honesty. If he said yes I would have scheduled the treatment there and then even though I am well aware of the risks.

What do I do then?? Do I just go on living with these bad boxcar scars. I told the PS that i don't want my moderate scars worked on by laser or excision or anything because I'm content with them and know that treatments can make things a lot worse. But, for some of my more severe scars, I need something done. I do not want to spend $600 every 9 months injecting my face with fillers when there are many potential side effects and unknown side effects with it. What the hell do I do?

Dudley, I respect you because Ive seen you around these boards for ages. I just don't know where to turn to now?

Well this surgeon made it clear that "i'm a surgeon, if I don't cut people open I make no money". I loved his honesty. If he said yes I would have scheduled the treatment there and then even though I am well aware of the risks.

What do I do then?? Do I just go on living with these bad boxcar scars. I told the PS that i don't want my moderate scars worked on by laser or excision or anything because I'm content with them and know that treatments can make things a lot worse. But, for some of my more severe scars, I need something done. I do not want to spend $600 every 9 months injecting my face with fillers when there are many potential side effects and unknown side effects with it. What the hell do I do?

Dudley, I respect you because Ive seen you around these boards for ages. I just don't know where to turn to now?

I don't know anything about excision, but obviously the PS doesn't think that is worth the risk.I have only dealt with Dermabrasion and CO2 lasers. Did you ask the doctor about lasers? If you rule out a viable treatment because of anecdotal evidence then you are doing yourself a disservice. There was one woman on RealSelf who was the biggest opponent of Fraxel Re:pair and I finally cornered her and she admitted she had never had it done. The majority of stories you hear about dissatisfaction with Fraxel Re:pair are actually pertaining to Fraxel Re:store, but people just throw out the word Fraxel and everybody thinks "Oh that doesn't work". Fraxel Re:pair is the ONLY thing that has helped me. The simple fact is that you need multiple treatments at high settings or just stay home. There is a darn good reason that I have done 5 Re:pairs.

PaulyD have you considered silicone? If fillers fix it then silicone would do the same thing--but permanently. I dunno, some of the doctors on that realself.com site swear that it's the only permanent solution and one of them was talking about how he's had people fly in for it (because big surprise he claims he's really good at it).