Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I'm relatively new to chemical peels. I have been using salicylic 20% acid every 5-7 days over the past few months and it has helped clear my acne tremendously. But now I'm left with all these red marks on my face left behind from my acne. It is quite embarrassing so I'm thinking of buying Lactic acid, I hear that helps more with skin tone and helps fade red marks and etc. Has anyone here had any successful results from lactic acid peel in treating their red marks and evening out skin tone?

I also hear people talk about layering peels, I can't really find anything about how to layer. I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight on how to layer peels. I would like to know how exactly do you layer peels and how long do you wait in between each layer and how much peel to put on each layer and if you could give me some links to webpages explaining some of these steps that would be great. Oh and can you layer different types of peels together? Like for example salicylic and lactic acid or would it be best to stick to one type of peel when layering.

next question- do I need to use an AHA product while doing these peels for best results. I was using the proactiv toner( it has 6% aha)that I had left over but I finished that up not to long ago. I just bought another toner but it doesn't have aha, it's thayers witch hazel alcohol-free rose w/aloe vera. I like it because it makes my skin so soft and keeps my skin hydrated where the proactiv toner wasn't doing that for me. So I was thinking of getting a cream, this is the one I have in mind-

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Hydrox-Enhanced-Anti-Wrinkle-Exfoliant/dp/B000052YM3/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323018737&sr=8-2

I read somewhere where it said 5% -10% aha before and after chemical peel would help you get more even results. What do you all think, should I buy this cream or is it not really needed?

Last question- I am currently using an spf 15 day moisturizer when I go out. Is that enough spf or should I get a higher percentage spf moisturizer?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions. If you could answer some of the questions and provide some links also, that would be greatly appreciated. I think asking here is the best place to ask since so many of you are conversant with chemical peels. I want to thank you in advance for you help. - Linda

ok i will tackle a few of the questions. i have heard lactic acid peels are good and the way to layer is to put on the acid and then wait a minute or so and then put more acid on and then keep going until you get the desired result. i did 3 layers of 12.5% TCA on a really bad red mark from a cyst that i picked at and it frosted in a few minutes and peeled in 2 days. the skin that peeled off was very thick and a week later it looks so much better than it did before. so you could start with lactic acid and work your way up from there. i have done glycolic acid peels on my red marks with good success as well. i like salicylic acid peels too but they are better for clearing existing acne rather than the red marks. i just started going to a new medical spa and they suggested the jessner peels for my red marks so you could try that too. makeup artists choice sells all of that if you want to do it from home. i have heard of using aha before a peel but i have never done so. i think using retin-a is good as well or any type of retinoid. if your doing peels you should use at least a 30 spf or higher. i think the lady at the medical place suggested a 45 spf but i think a 30 should be fine.

that cream looks good but beware if you have sensitive skin because that percentage of glycolic could be too high for you. i dont know too much about aha though so maybe somebody else could help you out with this.

Edited by Karen Howz

i dont think tca or jessner peels are light peels at all. they are more medium depth peels especially when layering the tca and they really do help to improve the red marks.

Edited by Karen Howz

Thanks for your help:) I deciced not to buy any AHA product because I didn't want to stress out my skin. I did buy the Lactic Acid peel though but I am going to return it because it made me break out, 9 new zits after the peel. Now those zits all left red marks and my face looks worse sad.png I will keep using the salicylic acid though because it is the only product that helps clear my acne but it doesn't help with red marks. I am now thinking about using a tca peel 8% after reading rave reviews about it. How long do I wait after doing a salicylic peel before doing a tca peel? I think I should start out 8% tca or is that too low? Thanks again for your help.

Edited by sakurablossoms