Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SeraphHymn

Let's Talk Moisturizer

Hi guys, I want to start a regimen, my story is here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/307914-starting-a-regimen/

I'm considering the Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion (and I'm also considering the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser). This seems to be quite widely favored on these boards. But my skin tends towards being oily, and I've read this is on the heavy side. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case I might consider something else, and feel free to recommend something for people who have oiler skin!

Thank you

I reallly like Korres brand "pomegranate balancing cream-gel". I have oily skin and this balances me out nicely. Plus it's a natural product, and doesn't break me out. A little goes a long way, and it absorbs nicely into my skin, leaving it soft and not oily.

Hi SeraphHymn,

I'm a big fan of the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and the Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. They were reccommended by my dermatologist for me a couple years ago and I'm still using them. I find that if your acne can easily become inflamed or iritated these products are quite soothing. Just be sure to get the gentle skin cleanser and not the 'oily skin cleanser' because that could be drying. I have oily skin and I find that these products are amazing for controlling oil, soothing acne and getting rid of any redness from irritated skin due to BP or what not.

I also suggest using Jojoba oil in your moisturizer just a couple drops and that also works wonders. I know some people are hesitant because it is an oil and it's scary to think of putting more oil on your face when it already seems your skin is oily. However, I really did find that the jojoba calmed my face in combination with the Cetaphil moisturizer and also helps to control oil production.

As a side note, the Cetaphil pump-style bottles can sometimes get stuck which is annoying and the larger size can be quite expensive (where I live each is about $18 so $36 total). However, keeping the pump clean and dry helps to avoid problems with it and I find that the large bottles last me 3-4 months so ultimately they are worth it in my opinion.

I hope this helps and best of luck on getting rid of your acne!

Hi SeraphHymn,

I'm a big fan of the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and the Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. They were reccommended by my dermatologist for me a couple years ago and I'm still using them. I find that if your acne can easily become inflamed or iritated these products are quite soothing. Just be sure to get the gentle skin cleanser and not the 'oily skin cleanser' because that could be drying. I have oily skin and I find that these products are amazing for controlling oil, soothing acne and getting rid of any redness from irritated skin due to BP or what not.

I also suggest using Jojoba oil in your moisturizer just a couple drops and that also works wonders. I know some people are hesitant because it is an oil and it's scary to think of putting more oil on your face when it already seems your skin is oily. However, I really did find that the jojoba calmed my face in combination with the Cetaphil moisturizer and also helps to control oil production.

As a side note, the Cetaphil pump-style bottles can sometimes get stuck which is annoying and the larger size can be quite expensive (where I live each is about $18 so $36 total). However, keeping the pump clean and dry helps to avoid problems with it and I find that the large bottles last me 3-4 months so ultimately they are worth it in my opinion.

I hope this helps and best of luck on getting rid of your acne!

Hey thanks for the post smile.png Yes I will get the gentle cleanser for sure. My only reservations about the moisturizing lotion is that it is apparently greasy - and my skin really has a tendency to be oily (I think that's the primary cause of my spots!). I'd like something more mid-range, not too light but certainly not too heavy.

I found these reviews helpful:

http://www.acne.org/.../389/page1.html and the con that kept reappearing was oily/greasy/heavy

Is there a lighter moisturizer I might find more suitable?

Does anyone know anything about/have any experience with Simple Hydrating Light Moisturiser?

Edited by SeraphHymn

I'm aware that some people have found the moisturizer greasy and heavy, etc. but I haven't actually experienced that myself. I will say that it does sort of feel sticky putting it on at first like a 'mask' but once it absorbs I don't notice it. I also find that using jojoba oil in the moisturizer makes it lighter but that's entirely up to you when you decide on a moisturizer of your choice :)

Another moisturizer I love that you might find better suited to your needs is Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer (I'm pretty sure that's the exact name). It was pretty light and smooth, not greasy in my opinion. I haven't had any experience with Simple Hydrating Light Moisturizer directly but I have read different reviews and researched it. I would definitely try it if I had the chance because it has gotten great feedback from users. Like anything, you might just have to try it along with maybe another moisturizer and decide if it fits your preferences. Some people may love a certain product while others hate it. It can be pretty confusing.

Definitely take your time reading different reviews and talking to different people, I've found that most helpful in trying to evaluate which products to try and which to miss. :)

Well, I'm not sure my current moisturizer is doing much for me now, it's 'Simple anti-blemish moisturizer'. It feels too light, and doesn't seem to be giving my skin the hydration it needs. And it seems to make my skin tingle when I put it on. My skin just seems a mess right now, and though my skin seems oily (my forehead especially), and that seems a cause of spots, it also seems to get dry very quickly when I do things to it. So ever since washing my face more often, with cleanser etc, it seems to be helping lessen outbreaks, but my skin seems quite red/dry (probably worsened by cold winter weather). So my skin just looks really bad, and I'm not sure why. My right cheek has a lot of red marks from my last outbreak there (which wasn't bad at all, and there are no active spots there!), and my left cheek, which didn't even have an outbreak, is also quite red, and seems to have red marks from spots I had months and months and months ago. I also did get a few tiny red pimples on my left cheek which weren't active spots, just little red bumps which have popped up and not disappeared. I also think some of the red marks on my right cheek were not originally spots, I didn't even have that many!

I think the main problem is that my skin has problem dealing with red marks (I have darker, olive mediterranean skin, which looks great when clear), they linger on my skin for ages and it's making me quite depressed. I never realized I still had red marks on my left cheek from spots I got maybe half a year ago! I'm not sure if this tendency to redden might tell me something about how I can treat my problem. Anyway, the cleanser I've been using (I still getting together new supplies for a regimen) is Freederm antibacterial cleanser:

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B000KHVKMK

the ingredients are: aqua, cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth 20, paraffinium piquidium, isopropyl myristate, benzalkonium chloride, chlorhexidine dihydrochloride, phenoxyethanol

Apparently some of these are irritant, might this be aggravating my redness?

Anyways, with all this in mind, might I need a slightly heavier moisturizer? As I say, my skin seems to be on the oily side, but it also seems to get dry easily (as though it likes being oilier, so when I mess with it, it gets unhappy).

Edited by SeraphHymn

I reallly like Korres brand "pomegranate balancing cream-gel". I have oily skin and this balances me out nicely. Plus it's a natural product, and doesn't break me out. A little goes a long way, and it absorbs nicely into my skin, leaving it soft and not oily.

Looks good, but very pricey :0

I reckon I might be able to get away with the cetaphil lotion even if its a bit heavy, because it's winter. I might just buy it to at least try it out, because as I described above, I think my skin is actually getting too dry and these light moisturizers aren't doing much for me. The oilest part of my face is my forehead (hence the most spot prone area) whereas my shaving area is actually very dry (I know, my face is both oily and dry depending on the region!). But since I'll be drying out my forehead with cleanser + BP (and it is very dry right now from Freederm gel) I'll probably need something to put back the moisture.

And yes, I'll definitely consider the jojoba oil. Do you actually put it into your moisturizing bottle, or add it to the moisturizer in your hand? Thanks!!

Edited by SeraphHymn

I think you're on the right track, maybe your skin might benefit from a bit of a heavier moisturizer.

You could always buy a smaller bottle of Cetaphil Moisturizer to try it.

As for the jojoba oil, I put it in my hand on top of the moisturizer I have already squeezed out but some people mix it in their bottle.

It depends. I just prefer to mix it as I go because I can see how much I'm getting each time I use my lotion as opposed to mixing it and maybe

having to adjust the amount later. It really is up to you though because you may prefer mixing it beforehand.

As a side note, if your concern is mainly red marks..have you ever tried a prescription tretinoin based cream?

I'm on Stieva-A right now, and I find it amazing in reducing redness and red marks in general after breakouts. It even smooths your skin out

and removes dead skin along with blackheads and all that. And if you have a breakout, it seriously diminishes the size of the pimples almost overnight.

I really love it because I use it every night before bed and it makes a big difference in my face the next day. It isn't a heavy cream either the only drawback is that it goes on white so you have to let it absorb a bit before going to bed or it'll all rub off (it doesn't stain though but better to have the cream be absorbed as opposed to rubbed off right? :) ) I know your question is about moisturizer but I thought I might mention it since you are concerned with redness and red marks, and I've found it especially helpful in that area of skin care.

I have very oily skin and did not like Cetahil Gentle Skin Cleanser. It's more for dry skin types. If you have very oily skin like mine, go for something that will actually lather up and emulsify off your oil.

Same for Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. It's great if you are dry or are overly dried out from acne meds, but otherwise it's just too thick for my tastes. I've used it before, but I would dispense about a pea sized blob into my hand and add some drops of water to thin it out and apply it that way. Otherwise, I prefer the Olay moisturizing lotion for sensitive skin.

Look into Cera Ve. It's like Cetaphil without the greasy-feeling. (Non-comedogenic, very light, neutral, etc.)

Take it from someone who has used both and has incredibly oily skin.

Using cetaphil lotion right now and it is greasy feeling, kinda thick, but it works! It is the most moisturizing lotion I have ever used and doesn't break me out, so I say if you can stand the greasy feeling, it's worth it. Give it a try. Some people don't feel that it is as greasy as others too, so you never know how you will react.

I did go for the Cetaphil moisturizer. I don't find it too greasy at all! In fact it's just right. Perhaps my skin isn't as oily as I thought! So just as a heads up for everyone, I would personally recommend this too.

Cetaphil products break me out, especially the moisturizer, and Cera Ve is very similar. It causes whiteheads. My daughter reacts the same way so it's probably a genetic aversion. Jojoba on my face breaks me out as well.

We use Lumiplexion products and love them. They sell a gel moisturizer for oil skin and a cream for dry. They cost more then store brand products, but the ingrediants are very acne-friendly.

I would whole-heartedly suggest giving Garnier Nutritioniste Moisture Rescue Gel-cream or their new product, lightweight UV lotion, a shot. I use the lightweight UV lotion as a daily moisturizer after using Dan's product and Cetaphil, and it definitely trumps both. Dan's didn't help with flakiness, and Cetaphil left a sheen, the products by Garnier Nutritioniste have worked perfectly for me.

Here are the ingredients for the Garneir moisturizer the above poster references:

Ingredients

Aqua (Water) , Glycerin , Alcohol Denat. , Dimethicone , Isononyl Isononanoate , Carbomer , Dimethiconol , Chlorphenesin , Caprylyl Glycol , Sodium Hydroxide , Vitis Vinfera Extract (Grapefruit Extract) , Xanthan Gum , Tetrasodium EDTA , Tocopheryl Acetate , Ascorbyl Glucoside , Methoxypropanediol , Magnesium Gluconate , Sodium Citrate , Benzyl Salicylate , Linalool , Calcium Gluconate , Biosaccharide Gum-1 , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , CI 19140 (Yellow 5) , CI 42090 (Blue 1) , Parfum (Fragrance) , Phenoxyethanol

Alcohol listed as a third ingredient makes me curious though.

ADDENDUM: After reading a bunch of reviews on Makeup Alley about this moisturizer, I would have to say that this product is likely more drying than moisturizing. I looked at the ingredients again at my moisturizer - no alcohol whatsoever. It kind of defeats the purpose. It's got Ascorbyl (Vit C) which is good, but it also has salicylate which is again drying. Plus the fragrance puts it over the negative top for me. Many reviewers noted that it asorbed into the skin "immediately." That's the alcohol getting sucked in. A good moisturizer is going to take at least a handful of seconds to start absorbing into the skin.

Edited by Ripon10