Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SeraphHymn

When Do You Guys Shave?

Do you guys shave before cleansing, at the beginning of the regimen (as Dan does)? I haven't started a regimen yet, but my concern is that my skin will get irritated badly if I shave, cleanse, then add BP. Is there any other better time to shave? And is it okay to use a normal shaving gel? Thanks

EDIT: I'm also thinking I will just use a normal shaving gel (say, Gillette sensitive) rather than a cleanser to shave with. If I cleanse my skin, including the shaving area straight after, will I be likely to experience irritation? Might I be better using a cleanser, so therefore I don't have to cleanse AFTER the shave? I'm just a little skeptical of shaving with a cleanser, that's all.

Edited by SeraphHymn

I use a foaming cleanser, so I use the lather from that instead of shaving gel to shave with, so I shave and cleanse at the same time if that makes sense?

Had great results doing this, I think its great because I have eliminated shaving gel which is another load of chemicals that I was putting on my face (even for a brief amount of time) causing it to be red, the less chemicals the better smile.png It also saves me time which is always nice.

always cleanse before shaving; there is oil and dirt build up on your face. after shaving, apply topicals.

I never thought of this. I was shaving first and then cleansing. I'll be sure to start doing this from now :)

I HATE shaving because if i have a breakout its a double wammy of pain and spreading of acne bacteria. If I do have a breakout I wait as long as I can until it heals before I shave. If not, I'll shave every couple days.

Anywho this is what I do...

1 Thoroughly moisten face with warm water (preferably by taking a hot shower)

This will soften the hair and make shaving easier and less painful.

2 Lather my face with Dodo Ossum soap, which lathers really well.

This soap cleanses and provides plenty of foam for shaving.

3 Shave trying to avoid pimples (hardest part)

4 Rinse clean with cool water, making sure not to touch any area where a pimple mightve been shaved open because this will spread the bacteria (the bane to my acne existence)

5 Apply BP over acne area

Voila

I used the cleanser as a shaving cream and shaving while washing my face. Only shave with the hairs and apply topicals after shaving.