Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jwitz

Can Milk Really Cause Breakouts, Or Is It A Myth?

I read about the presence of hormones in the milk potentially causing acne, or at least making it worse? Does it make the body produce more oil or something?

I read about the presence of hormones in the milk potentially causing acne, or at least making it worse? Does it make the body produce more oil or something?

Thanks smile.png

Yes. There are numerous studies proving it, just search "milk acne" in PubMed.

I don't think it makes the body produce more oil, but yes, it's the presence of hormones in milk that unbalances our hormones. Because these hormones in milk are specifically directed to cow's babies, to make them grow and etc.

I'm skeptical. I drank milk when I was pregnant and nursing and my skin was amazing. Why could I drink milk then and not now?

Can milk has its own advantage and disadvantage...Milk contain calcium and is good for health..Generally pregnant women take milk for their children and form themselves..I don't have knowledge about can milk..

Milk causes various reactions in different people - some can drink it and be fine, some cant, some initially could and then couldnt. I would try stopping all dairy products for 2 weeks , I know its hard, but try doing it 90-100% bc otherwise the results wont be accurate. After doing that, then see how your acne has been. furthermore, [responding to above post] when youre pregnant your body has different hormones so maybe thats why you didnt react to it then and are now.

Milk is one of the reasons people have acne. It increases free IGF-1 levels [insulin like growth factor] and high IGF-1 levels are directly correlated with the severity of acne [iGF-1 levels are very high during puberty, when acne strike the hardest]. People with high serum IGF-1 are also more prone to cancer.

So if you want to have a better skin and good health avoid milk and dairy products.

Edited by VanceAstro

i cut out dairy for 3 whole months, no exagerating. I ate absolutely no dairy. It didnt affect my acne whasoever. Breakouts continued.

Don't believe everything you hear. Out of all the dairy-acne studies I've seen all of them involve the subjects drinking a pint of milk a day. Who actually drinks a pint of milk everyday? Almost noone and if they are then I'm not surprised they have acne because that isn't normal. If you have a cup of milk once in awhile you will be fine unless you KNOW you are EXTREMELY sensitive to dairy. Just look at what jhonyguy04 said. Milk has a ton of health benefits. Just my .02$

i cut out dairy for 3 whole months, no exagerating. I ate absolutely no dairy. It didnt affect my acne whasoever. Breakouts continued.

I, too, did not consume dairy for quite some time (not for acne reasons, just because I wasn't fond of dairy products), and did not observe any difference in my acne. I've known people who LOVE milk and drink it all the time, and they have never had a blemish. But then I have seen several people in this forum that are very affected by dairy. I honestly think it varies person to person. Like someone else has already posted, the only way to find out if it is causing your breakouts is to cut it out for a while.

When I stopped consuming milk 2 years ago and went on soy milk, my acne actually got worse. Hmm maybe it was the soy milk lol. Or the new toner. Who knows! Though I started taking zinc and vit c and a new toner and it all got better. But now I think both milks are bad so now I've started using hazelnut milk and it is soooo good! And I don't feel nervous about it.

As a few other posters have pointed out, it really depends on the person. For some people, it's completely true and it will cause you to break out - for many, it's the sole reason they've got acne. However for others, myself included, milk makes absolutely no difference to their skin. I gave up milk and all dairy products for a month late last year and so absolutely no difference in my skin condition.