Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OldWorldBabe

Question About Adapalene Vs. Tretinoin.....help, Please+++++

I'm hoping you ladies and gents can answer a few questions about retinoids for me. I'd really appreciate your expertise. I have had a pretty bad acne problem for a long time. After going to a derm last April, I finally had clear skin (while taking antibiotics for six months and 0.1% adapalene). I stopped the antibiotics about a month ago and my face has started to break out again. I just didn't feel comfortable taking the antibiotics long term, but the adapalene isn't keeping me completely clear. My question is this - is the weakest level Retin-A or tretinoin (0.01%, I think) a stronger retinoid than the 0.1% adapalene I have been using? I was thinking of asking the derm for the weakest tretinoin (if it was a bit of a stronger retinoid than my current one). I just thought a more powerful retinoid might help keep my skin clearer. I would be getting the generic, if that matters. Hope you guys can help. Would really appreciate your experiences and/or advice. Thanks so much!!!

based on people experience, retinoids are not big deal, they are not too effective, check out some retinoids logs and you'll realize that. Anyways, tretinoin is stronger, and more irritating too. Good luck!

i'm not sure what adapalene is. is that a form of a retinoid? i couldn't tell you how it compares to tretinoin as i've only ever used tretinoin. more specifically, atralin. i think it's a god-send. i've never tried retin-a or retin-a micro but i've heard mixed reviews about it. i think that whether you use a cream or gel will determine how effective it is. (the cream base is more effective for wrinkles and problems with older skin while the gels seem to be more helpful for acne sufferers.) the concentration is important too... you're supposed to be peeling a little, but not excessively, when you start using the tretinoin. your skin should get used to it over time. if you use tretinoin every night and have zero irritation or peeling, you might want to ask about a higher concentration. but it's important to keep moisturized and out of the sun when you do find the right prescription strength.