Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mreverest

Do Pustule Or Papules Leave Permanent Scars?

Probably not man. From what i understand and have myself experienced, having pustules causes pigmentation (dark spots or coloring of the skin) and im pretty sure that what leaves permanent scarring is cystic/very severe acne (nodules).

are cystis acne or nodules always big or can they be small and do they hurt, i dont know if i have them or not.

thanks for reply surprised.gif tho

Guest Timehealsall

only going to a dermatologist will you know if you have cysts or not. Although i think you can tell because cysts usually hurt like hell and take ages to go away.

BTW, pustules/papules can leave permanent scars... but they usually aren't as deep as scars from cysts

It's not only cysts that leaves scarring, I have scars (NOT pigmentation) and I only had pustules

what do you mean you have scars, but not pigmentation could you explain?

Inflammatory acne often hurts because of the inflammation itself. So a small, red pimple can hurt & not be a cyst/nodule, but simply a pustule/papule. Nodules/cysts are identified by their size, "depth" & how long they last:

http://www.acne.org/whatisacne.html

http://www.acne.org/types-of-acne.html

It seems all inflamed acne has potential to scar because of the "break" in the pore wall that occurs, but pustules/papules are less likely to than cysts/nodules because they are larger, deeper, and are formed by a total collapse of the pore. Papules seem the least likely to scar. Papules are more likely to scar if you pop them, as that often damages the pore further. Any inflamed acne will likely cause some hyperpigmentaion, but luckily that is not permanent.

Not all scarring is pitting of course (ie. raised scaring, general "rough" texture). Pitting seems most related to cysts/nodules because of the way they form.