Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
claravis8911

Claravis Correct Dosage? Plz Help

hello..i am on my 2nd month of claravis (accutane)..i dont have insurance so i am paying cash..this is very expensive medication...i am on 40 mg 1 pill a day..i cant afford a higher dosage..but i weigh 134-135 lbs..my question is...is taking one 40 mg pill a day for a course of 5 or 6 months gona be effective?..i am also taking the "natures cure" homepathic pills too..would that get in the way of the accutane?

Hiya, yes it should be effective, accutane has been shown to have the best efficacy between 0.5 - 1 mg/kg, you are aout 60 kg so you etween the two...

You need to get a minimum of 7348mg cumulative dosage for your weight, this would involve being on a course for 6 months minimum.

Does no one advise you on dosage wherever you are? Also homoeopathy technically shouldnt affect the accutane as 'technically' there are no active ingredients in it...a homoeopath may disagree however

Hope this helps

x x

thank you!!!:))..i called BARR labs..(the people who make claravis) and they said i should take a pill 2xs a day..but i take 1..they said that i should be on 60 mg but i dont weigh that much..idk..i hope taking one 40 mg pill a day will be enough..because i cant afford a higher doage

60 mg a day wouldnt be too much for you as that would be your 1 mg/kg which is what most of the people on this forum are probably on.

What sometimes happens is that people are on half dosage (like me at 30 mg / day) in order to lessen the initial side effects then are bumped up to a higher 'full' dosage (60 mg / kg) - I weigh about the same as you....

It really varies from dermatologist to dermatologist, some will probably prescribe something similar to what you are on - slightly higher than half dosage for a longer period of time. Its all about ensuring you get the minimum cumulative dose reccomended for you (7349 mg in total) else it may return quickly once you stop taking the pills.

I worry you haven't got a dermatologist looking after you through this to perform regular blood test checks and monitor you for depression etc?

x x

yes i do have my dermatologist monoriting me..checking my blood ect...i asked her about my dosage..she wanted to put me on 80 mg..but i told her i could not afford it...after she said..40 mg would be effective for me anyways...but im just worrying about everything that could go wrong..like what if it doesnt work...what if the dosage is not enough..what if i need a higher dosage..you know..all these "what if's" are racing through my head everyday..i just hope this 40mg once a day will be effective

I'm on the same dosage as you - 40 mg. - and I weight about 59 kg. The dosage was my derm's suggestion and she's not talking about bumping it up...

So...if this works for me I guess it would work for you as well...? :) I don't know...

good luck on your accutane journey...ever since i started taking it my skin has been red..and im still getting initial breakouts..i just started my 2nd month..so i still have 3 or so more to go..if i could afford it i would bump up my dosage..but i cant..so i guess i just have to deal with it..i hope its effective

Thank you :) I've been on it for 57 days, so almost two months now. Still getting bad break outs and yeah, the skin tends to blush more.

My derm has told me I'm gonna be on these pills for about 7 months/7000 mg. So I guess she prefers to keep me on a low dosage but for longer time... Phew - there's a long way ahead of me...!

I'm sure it will be love, I dont think it really matters how you get it in you as long as you get enough in you eventually! x x

im going thru the same thing. no insurance, 40mg claravis, once a day, weight 125 lbs

does anyone know if they make a 60mg pill or will i have to buy 2 separate pills and take 2 pills a day

Hey...I just started Claravis yesterday too and I pay cash too. So I know how you feel about the price. I paid 264 for a box of 40mg. I weigh ALOT more than you (185) and my derm started me on 40mg. He said he has everyone start at 40 and if I do well my first month on 40 he will bump it up. Luckily I am in Grad school and tax time is coming so I will be able to afford it. I think it will definitely be effective but your length on it may be longer. Just make some sacrifices to afford it or get a loan, maybe? Good luck! It will work out :-)

Hey...I just started Claravis yesterday too and I pay cash too. So I know how you feel about the price. I paid 264 for a box of 40mg. I weigh ALOT more than you (185) and my derm started me on 40mg. He said he has everyone start at 40 and if I do well my first month on 40 he will bump it up. Luckily I am in Grad school and tax time is coming so I will be able to afford it. I think it will definitely be effective but your length on it may be longer. Just make some sacrifices to afford it or get a loan, maybe? Good luck! It will work out whistling.gif)

what pharmacy are u going to. costco is the cheapest. i pay $245

yeah i pay 215 for one month of claravis...80 mg 2 40mg pills a day would cost me 429...sucks not having insurance..i weigh 135..and i want to lose like 5 pounds so maybe the accutane could be more effective.