Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SeraphHymn

How To Choose The Right Spot Fade Product?

Hi guys, I'm new here and have made a thread over in Regimen forum about my story and plans to get totally clear:

http://www.acne.org/...ting-a-regimen/

My problem (which thankfully is mild/moderate) appears to have mostly stabilized now. I'm very concerned with fading what marks I do have and avoiding any long-term marking or scarring. For me spots that appear on the cheeks tend to leave marks that last for ages, and result in little blemishes/discolourment.

Fortunately this forum has a wealth of information on this issue and I've tried to synthesize it and narrow down my options. But I'm not sure I fully understand the issue and all the products/treatments available. My question really is, how do I narrow down? How do I find the right product for me?

I've found out that the following substances help with spot fade:

Hydroquinone

Retin A

Azeliac Acid

Salycic acid

Alpha Hydroxy and Beta Hydroxy Acid Products (BHA, AHA)

Jojoba oil

Emu oil

Manuka Honey products

Copper peptides products

I'm especially interested in finding a particular product. So by looking at the pinned threads here are some of my options:

PureDeming Intense Gel

Bio Oil

Calendulis Plus cream

PEL Super Rich Moisturizer

Cetaphil cleansing wash

(**though the last two are moisturizer and cleanser?)

As you can see this is still quite an extensive list. Before I joined this forum I was going to inquire about Retin A (0.025%), as I have a doctor's appointment coming up. I heard that this was great for spot fade, but reading further it can cause redness/peeling and might not be ideal. I'm also still a bit confused over the difference between and effects of vitamin A and vitamin E on the skin.

So how can I make a decision about which specific product to choose?

**NOTE I haven't started a 'regimen' yet. I'm curious as to when you would apply a spot fade product? Seeing as Dan's regimen order is cleanse, treat, moisturize, would you apply it last? And, in reference to the last two products on that list, they are cleanser and moisturizer respectively, I take it that some cleansers and moisturizers also aid in spot fade? But should I really be interested in finding a product I use solely for that purpose?

Thank you!!

Edited by SeraphHymn

Do NOT use hydroquinone. It is banned in many countries except here in the USA... which isn't really surprising.

This is what you SHOULD try that helped me with my marks: natural skin rejuvenation.

Use no products and only wash at the most twice a day.

1. When you shower in the morning, the first thing you should do is let water run on your face for 5 seconds just to get it on your skin.

2. Let it sit on your skin to give it moisture, and during this time I like to wash my hair just so I'm productive as I let the water soak in.

3. Take a washcloth and get it completely wet from the shower water, and gently wipe it in 3 circles against one cheek. Re-soak it and gently wipe it 3 circles against the other cheek.

4. Rinse your face.

5. Go on with cleaning the rest of your body!

No products should ever touch your face during this time. This lets the skin's natural good oils to stay in the skin at the same type of exfoliating. No more using exfoliating products which strip our faces of its good oils!

The gently wiping may feel like it's doing nothing and you may get the urge to wipe more. Control yourself to NOT do that! Remember it IS taking off skin and that this is safer, better, and will take time just like any other product will.

This has been my regimen for the past 2 months, and it's been a miracle. It may even keep your face more hydrated so you won't need moisturizers. Let us know if you try it!

Do NOT use hydroquinone. It is banned in many countries except here in the USA... which isn't really surprising.

This is what you SHOULD try that helped me with my marks: natural skin rejuvenation.

Use no products and only wash at the most twice a day.

1. When you shower in the morning, the first thing you should do is let water run on your face for 5 seconds just to get it on your skin.

2. Let it sit on your skin to give it moisture, and during this time I like to wash my hair just so I'm productive as I let the water soak in.

3. Take a washcloth and get it completely wet from the shower water, and gently wipe it in 3 circles against one cheek. Re-soak it and gently wipe it 3 circles against the other cheek.

4. Rinse your face.

5. Go on with cleaning the rest of your body!

No products should ever touch your face during this time. This lets the skin's natural good oils to stay in the skin at the same type of exfoliating. No more using exfoliating products which strip our faces of its good oils!

The gently wiping may feel like it's doing nothing and you may get the urge to wipe more. Control yourself to NOT do that! Remember it IS taking off skin and that this is safer, better, and will take time just like any other product will.

This has been my regimen for the past 2 months, and it's been a miracle. It may even keep your face more hydrated so you won't need moisturizers. Let us know if you try it!

Thanks for the advice, but doesn't this go against the grain of everything that is being said on these forums? And by no products, do you mean no products for skin fade, or none at all? Because that'll basically condemn me to oily skin and most likely more outbreaks, since I am rather prone at the moment.

Maybe this is a good time to pose the question: how does the regimen, with its cleansing and BP (which must be quite intensive over time) affect spot marks? Obviously this is intended to clear skin and prevent breakouts, but what effect does it have on inactive spots? Is the regimen simply good for achieving clear skin across the board? Because the way you put it, is that it's best to use nothing at all to encourage healing. But obviously this can lead to more spots, more marks, and so on.

Another general question to all users: why do my marks take so long to fade? I'm really depressed by the marks on my right cheek, even though the spots there weren't very bad at all, and kind of popped up, but weren't active for long. I didn't pop them either. But they still leave behind red marks for weeks and weeks. And I got this unusual spot under my eye which has left a red mark for about 2 months and is still there. Might I have problems with slow healing, or is this problem universally experienced? I'm getting quite panicky over these marks and just want them to go!

Also as I mentioned in my other thread, I wear a small sleep mask at night to block at light (and I don't wear it tight), surely this shouldn't retard healing? Isn't it just like wearing a hat or other articles of clothing which cover your skin?

EDIT: Might something like this be good?

Alpha Hydrox - 10% AHA Enhanced Lotion

http://www.amazon.co...23283866&sr=1-2

(NOTE: I can also use this for back treatment and individual spot treatment, as Dan outlines, correct?)

Edited by SeraphHymn

similarly, i don't do much to control my skin. it seems to work and i have oily skin. washing vigorously dries my skin out and causes breakouts. i am too looking to fade red marks asap though. i don't know what to do. it's been 5 years for me, and while it's improved, i don't see time playing a significant role from here on out. i saw improvements within the first year and it's sort of plateaued since.

My favorite skin fading products:

Glycolic Acid

Kojic Acid

Differin

Josie Maran Argan Oil

Neosporin cream

Clarins Intensive Brightening Mask

and ALWAYS wear SPF during the day.

Edited by californiaEstie

I picked up some Bio Oil and have ordered some AHA off the internet. Already tried the Bio Oil and really like it! Really seems to improve the texture of my skin right away.