Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so i had a few whiteheads by my nose the other day so i squeezed them and they turned into scabs. i picked the one off today and its oozing a bit. i am at work and am so mad at myself for doing this especially since my face has been looking really good lately. i feel like i am sabatoging myself somehow but dont know why. anyway i have aquaphor and neosporin here with me at work but i dont know which one to use. does anybody know which one is better. i am going out on thursday night and would like these to be mostly healed by then and i know i cant pick anymore.

I'd say the Neosporin would be more effective in terms of antibiotics to help your spots heal up

thank you i will try that. do you think its best to cover with a bandaid at home or is it better to let the skin breathe? i was thinking of getting those hydrocolloid bandaids.

Not using bandaid is fine, like you said it will let your skin breath and plus you wont have to peel it off afterwards

You can still use them of course, I just found that when I didn't use a bandaid I got the best results smile.png

thank you so much!! i got home from work today and put the neosporin on the scabs and i am praying they look better by thursday night.

Fingers crossed they improve in time for you, Karen. :) It's probably not a major issue in the grand scheme of things, but it does seem to be pretty disheartening when we do that. I've lost count of the times when I've ended up thinking, 'Sure, it didn't look great when it was scabbed, but I'd love to turn the clock back about ten seconds to before I decided to attack it and make it look twice as bad!' :doh: Don't be too hard on yourself, just see if you can learn from it. No idea why we do it and I certainly wish I could stop. I need to because the picking is what keeps my acne going, I'm sure of it. So if you find the answer, be sure to let us know! :lol:

I don't know if they were ready to be popped, but don't ever pick a tender whitehead. You will end up with a delayed healing time, and depending on the size, a bloody mess. I have ruined my skin by prematurely squeezing too many whiteheads in the past.

Edited by Heir

Fingers crossed they improve in time for you, Karen. smile.png It's probably not a major issue in the grand scheme of things, but it does seem to be pretty disheartening when we do that. I've lost count of the times when I've ended up thinking, 'Sure, it didn't look great when it was scabbed, but I'd love to turn the clock back about ten seconds to before I decided to attack it and make it look twice as bad!' eusa_doh.gif Don't be too hard on yourself, just see if you can learn from it. No idea why we do it and I certainly wish I could stop. I need to because the picking is what keeps my acne going, I'm sure of it. So if you find the answer, be sure to let us know! lol.gif

thank you so much for your post!! it is nice to know i am not alone and that i am not the only one that does this. i have this obsession with being perfect even though i know its not possible. when i am at work and alone in my office i tend to get out my mirror and then i start picking. i actually hate having an office because it leads me to pick at my face way more than i would do when at home. i know i need to leave my mirror at home but i just cant do it. ugh i hate the damm thing sometimes! you are so right in that i was so mad at myself yesterday after i picked at that scab because it was so small and under my nose that you could hardly see it and now the area is red and raw. ugh!! it has formed a small scab again but i dont know what to put on it to take the redness away. i know i tend to pick more when i am anxious but i need to find a way to deal with my anxiety other than picking. any ideas?

I don't know if they were ready to be popped, but don't ever pick a tender whitehead. You will end up with a delayed healing time, and depending on the size, a bloody mess. I have ruined my skin by prematurely squeezing too many whiteheads in the past.

you are so right in that i shouldnt have attemped to pop those whiteheads. they definitley werent ready and i knew that but i kept going anyway. if only i could stop looking in mirrors i would be fine!!

i popped a zit on my nose and i was hard on the scab and it came off and whats left is a huge scar on the tip of my nose. been there for about 5 months. not a day goes by that i don't think about how much i wish i could go back to that time when i could have not been so rough with it

thank you so much for your post!! it is nice to know i am not alone and that i am not the only one that does this. i have this obsession with being perfect even though i know its not possible. when i am at work and alone in my office i tend to get out my mirror and then i start picking. i actually hate having an office because it leads me to pick at my face way more than i would do when at home. i know i need to leave my mirror at home but i just cant do it. ugh i hate the damm thing sometimes! you are so right in that i was so mad at myself yesterday after i picked at that scab because it was so small and under my nose that you could hardly see it and now the area is red and raw. ugh!! it has formed a small scab again but i dont know what to put on it to take the redness away. i know i tend to pick more when i am anxious but i need to find a way to deal with my anxiety other than picking. any ideas?

:) You're welcome, Karen. I just got a sense that you were mainly frustrated and confused as to why you did it when you knew that things were improving beforehand. I could relate to that and it's something I've struggled with for many years now.

Recently, I've started to think that certain situations cause me to pick and that there are patterns to it. Here's an example:

I'm currently unemployed and having to go to the unemployment office makes me anxious. I got into a bit of a conflict with my advisor there at the start of last week as she refused to change an appointment which classes with group therapy sessions I'm currently attending. It really got to me how she was so dismissive of my struggles with depression and it seemed like she didn't care. Her lack of empathy made me feel worse which of course fed all the negative feelings I have about myself and my appearance. I soon found myself in front of the mirror and pretty much made a complete mess of my face.

I used to pop pimples because I thought that was the right thing to do. I was starting out with teenage pimples and knew nothing about it at the time. That habit grew into a dislike of my appearance and of what became acne. The whole thing snowballed to the point where I'd pick and pop everything in site, whether I should or whether it's even formed. Sometimes I still do. By now, it's not because I incorrectly thought it was the right way to fix things, my reasons have changed.

If ever I was pretty low, if everything was messed up - still is I guess - or I was just full of self-loathing, I'd head for the mirror. If I was down or angry, if someone upset me, if I felt lost or alone, whatever, I'd head for the mirror. I'd take that anger or that sadness out on my face and just rip it to shreds. Only over the last month or so because of therapy have I really started to think about that self-loathing, how I simply don't like being me, and how the response to all that when I pick is to such a degree that I believe it equates to self harm. I think once I finish the group therapy sessions for depression later this month, I'm going to look into some support for self harm at the start of the new year.

Obviously. I'm not suggesting that what you did this week or what you've done in the past is on a par with self-harm or anything like that, but it interested me that you mentioned that you pick when you're anxious. Just as I found things which triggered negative feelings for me - the unemployment office is one of those examples - it seems you have a general idea of when you might be more susceptible to it. So if you can think of situations which trigger your anxieties, you can perhaps anticipate those same situations making you vulnerable to picking. Then if you can work on removing the anxiety by finsing a way to handle the those particular situations better, you'd be happier with them and maybe that would reduce the feelings which lead you to pick.

I could be way off the mark, but I thought I should mention it in case it happens to ring true for you. :)

hey thx for the info and you are so right i have major anxiety about something i did when i was 18 and i cant take back. it is something that has caused me so much pain in my life and i dont know how to deal with it. i have so much regret. if only i knew back then what i know at 34. i do think i should see a therapist to sort out my feelings though.

Edited by Karen Howz