Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FML FML FML!!

Where do i even start...?

Long story short, starting getting acne at 19 and now i just turned 24. Seriously who's idea was it to give me acne at that age... the start of college is suppose to be one of the best experiences of one's life. Unfortunately not in my case. Everyone used to see me as an all round funny/cool guy.. I loved life, goin' out, partying and all of that shizz that regular college people do. When I started getting acne, I became really self conscious and stopped going out with friends... I just wanted to hide. I guess that I made a wrong decision, and boy did things get ugly from then on.

Dropped out of college, lost all my friends and basically all went to hell and I felt like shit sad.png... sigh. Over the next few years, parents encouraged me to start college again, but my mindset wasnt focussed on school, just on my skin, and as a result dropped out again. This happened two or three times, cant even remember, lol. Anyways my skin has gotten better, but still feel insecure about myself and i get panic attacks all the time. Next semester is starting again soon and hopefully i get my self esteem back and meet some cool people.

TL;DR acne fucked up my life and karma is a bitch. I dont even know why I decided to write this, I'm going crazy? lol?

Edited by theworld

Just focus on school for now and when your acne clears up you won't be far behind. That is what I am doing.

After avoiding people for so long, my social skills have really gone to shit. I feel so uncomfortable in any social setting, I guess im paranoid about people staring at my face. Btw im probably 95% clear now, but I still have alot of marks left over. Cant make eye contact with people anymore. Guess acne has really fucked me up mentally and physically :(.

After avoiding people for so long, my social skills have really gone to shit. I feel so uncomfortable in any social setting, I guess im paranoid about people staring at my face. Btw im probably 95% clear now, but I still have alot of marks left over. Cant make eye contact with people anymore. Guess acne has really fucked me up mentally and physically sad.png.

I know how you feel exactly. Do you mind if I ask you lost the contact information of all your friends from before? Maybe it would be easier to get in touch with some of your closer friends from before - it's likely they did care about you back then, so they'll probably be happy to hear from you even after a long dry spell (and maybe you can explain your reasons for disappearing).

Baby steps.

P.S. I don't know if this works for anybody else, but for me personally, I find that just "accepting" that I'm "ugly" now has helped me deal with the self-consciousness to a certain extent. It's sort of like, well, I know I look awful, end of story. The worst thing that can happen has already happened and I'm still alive and kicking, so you can stare at me all you want and all that will prove is that you have no manners. I don't expect people to automatically like me or feel attracted to me on the basis of my looks the way I did before, and for the moment, that's just... okay. Not great, but okay.

Edited by hotburrito

After avoiding people for so long, my social skills have really gone to shit. I feel so uncomfortable in any social setting, I guess im paranoid about people staring at my face. Btw im probably 95% clear now, but I still have alot of marks left over. Cant make eye contact with people anymore. Guess acne has really fucked me up mentally and physically sad.png.

I know how you feel exactly. Do you mind if I ask you lost the contact information of all your friends from before? Maybe it would be easier to get in touch with some of your closer friends from before - it's likely they did care about you back then, so they'll probably be happy to hear from you even after a long dry spell (and maybe you can explain your reasons for disappearing).

Baby steps.

P.S. I don't know if this works for anybody else, but for me personally, I find that just "accepting" that I'm "ugly" now has helped me deal with the self-consciousness to a certain extent. It's sort of like, well, I know I look awful, end of story. The worst thing that can happen has already happened and I'm still alive and kicking, so you can stare at me all you want and all that will prove is that you have no manners. I don't expect people to automatically like me or feel attracted to me on the basis of my looks the way I did before, and for the moment, that's just... okay. Not great, but okay.

I know for a fact they did care, multiple times calling my home phone and mobile but I just shut them off and I really do regret doing that. I was really depressed, I just didnt want to see anybody in that state that I was. I dont think they even know that I have acne cos I was that good at avoiding them lol... anyway, I do have their contacts still on msn and on phone but never sign in anymore. Dont know if I should contact them since it's been so long already that our once close friendship has already deteriorated. It would be extremely awkward for me to explain whats been happening over these years and they'll probably think I'm a weirdo >.<.

Aw, well it kills me because I know I can be better than this, but acne is holding me back. I dont think I'm ugly or anything because most of my friends and family have always told me I looked like a movie star (LOL, sorry if that came off cocky). But yeah, I dont think you should percieve yourself as "ugly" because that only does more damage to your self-esteem sad.png.

Edited by theworld

I know for a fact they did care, multiple times calling my home phone and mobile but i just shut them off and i really do regret doing that. I was really depressed, i just didnt want to see anybody in that state that I was. I dont think they even know that i have acne cos I was that good at avoiding them lol... anyway, I do have their contacts still on msn and on phone but i dont know if i should contact them since it's been so long already that our once close friendship has already deteriorated. It would be extremely awkward for me to explain whats been happening over these years and they'll probably think im a weirdo >.<.

I can understand that. I've been avoiding my friends lately not so much because I'm ashamed of being depressed/my acne, but because I've been very afraid of infecting people with all my negativity :( Still, it definitely sounds like those friends cared about you, and I think you'd probably be doing both them and yourself a disservice if you didn't at least try to explain. I'd rather feel like an awkward weirdo than lose a close friendship forever. Close friends are so you can act like an awkward weirdo and still have people love you for it at the end of the day.

I know for a fact they did care, multiple times calling my home phone and mobile but i just shut them off and i really do regret doing that. I was really depressed, i just didnt want to see anybody in that state that I was. I dont think they even know that i have acne cos I was that good at avoiding them lol... anyway, I do have their contacts still on msn and on phone but i dont know if i should contact them since it's been so long already that our once close friendship has already deteriorated. It would be extremely awkward for me to explain whats been happening over these years and they'll probably think im a weirdo >.<.

I can understand that. I've been avoiding my friends lately not so much because I'm ashamed of being depressed/my acne, but because I've been very afraid of infecting people with all my negativity sad.png Still, it definitely sounds like those friends cared about you, and I think you'd probably be doing both them and yourself a disservice if you didn't at least try to explain. I'd rather feel like an awkward weirdo than lose a close friendship forever. Close friends are so you can act like an awkward weirdo and still have people love you for it at the end of the day.

I guess you're right. But I feel like our friendship isn't so close anymore cos it's been ages since we last spoke... maybe like 1 and a half years already. I'm sure they would be glad to see me again, but I just dont know really :I The last time I spoke to one of them, they told me that I was the "glue" that held them together so I'm guessing everyone went their separate ways.

Oh goodness, this is so sad. Hugs to you mon amie comfort.gif Acne is a bitch. School is a good distraction though, and you should really focus on it. No one looks at us the way we look at ourselves. If people thought you were fun and friendly at one time, they'll still think that, and you can still be that person. Just get in touch with people and tell 'em you're sorry you shut them out but that you were going through tough times, I'm sure they'll understand and be happy to have you back in their lives

comfort.gif

Me personally, I dont try to get my hopes up because 99% of the time it always ends up being a big fat fail. Acne has really changed me. I used to be very judgemental and superficial, overall bad person but I've learnt my lesson already but acne/scars still plague me = _ =.

@Effendi " If people thought you were fun and friendly at one time, they'll still think that, and you can still be that person." nahhh, fact is that acne has messed me up soo bad that my whole personality has changed. I was once fun and friendly, but now I'm just... plain old boring, lol.

Edited by theworld

nahhh, fact is that acne has messed me up soo bad that my whole personality has changed. I was once fun and friendly, but now I'm just... plain old boring, lol.

Don't be sayin' that!! And anyway boring is objective, and that's not an actual problem, that's just a problem of semantics lol So, if you wanna use that word, I'd say there are many other "boring" people in the world as well who you'd get along smashingly with. Seriously. Don't put yourself down before you've even got a chance to get up

If you can, get a food allergy/intolerance test (dairy, whey, wheat, soybean, gluten etc)

Do you take supplements? If so, which?

Do you wash your bedding and pillow cases with fragrance-free detergent?

Monitor everything you eat and drink for one week and post a log, also post a list of every product you use on your hair and face

Some things I'm going to try soon are

- One spoonful of apple cider vinegar mixed with every pint of water I have daily

- Omega 3 6 9 supplements, with high level 3 and LOW level 6

I got a minor outbreak after I finished Accutane which I put down to fish oils or a new moisturiser, I was worried because it's Accutane, the strongest thing, I didn't expect it

Good luck!

Edited by Callum.

I know exactly how you feel. When my acne was crazy, I didn't want to be seen in public. I always wanted to stay at home and hide myself. Here's the thing with acne, it mentally strengthens you.... or atleast I know it mentally strengthened me. I no longer care if people look at my acne, or talk about my acne, doesn't faze me. I hope you didn't drop out of college because of acne... You should never let acne take over your life no matter how bad it is. And trust me, I had bad acne... reallllllly bad acne.

Edited by ohhhhhhnooooooo

If you can, get a food allergy/intolerance test (dairy, whey, wheat, soybean, gluten etc)

Do you take supplements? If so, which?

Do you wash your bedding and pillow cases with fragrance-free detergent?

Monitor everything you eat and drink for one week and post a log, also post a list of every product you use on your hair and face

Some things I'm going to try soon are

- One spoonful of apple cider vinegar mixed with every pint of water I have daily

- Omega 3 6 9 supplements, with high level 3 and LOW level 6

I got a minor outbreak after I finished Accutane which I put down to fish oils or a new moisturiser, I was worried because it's Accutane, the strongest thing, I didn't expect it

Good luck!

- As far as I know, I'm pretty sure I dont have any bad reactions from consuming those types of foods you mentioned. But I think it'd be a good idea to get an allergy test.

- I do take supplements, just zinc and vitamin C though. Any other supplements you'd recommend?

- Yes to that and I also change my pillow cases every night. I am fully OCD about my face and what comes into contact with it lol...

My acne isnt bad, and I've got it under control, just dealing with marks right now which are taking forever to fade, some have been over a year old :(.

Yeah it would, because they might not manifest as anything obvious to you but acne could be one of the reactions - who knows

- As for supplements, I'd say cholostrum and the omega 369 I mentioned, (low 3 high 6) - I read good things about these

If marks are what's bothering you look into Lactic Acid peel kits from MUAC :) I'm waiting for my Glycolic

I know exactly how you feel. When my acne was crazy, I didn't want to be seen in public. I always wanted to stay at home and hide myself. Here's the thing with acne, it mentally strengthens you.... or atleast I know it mentally strengthened me. I no longer care if people look at my acne, or talk about my acne, doesn't faze me. I hope you didn't drop out of college because of acne... You should never let acne take over your life no matter how bad it is. And trust me, I had bad acne... reallllllly bad acne.

Yeah I agree with you. For me I dont think it mentally strengthened me, but I've learnt to cope since acne has rendered me lifeless. Very few people have said bad stuff about my acne because I rarely interact with people outside, as for family members, my mum has been quite supportive, and the rest... well, they dont really care. I dont really have a close relationship with family members, but I guess that's because of the way I was raised up.

Yeah it would, because they might not manifest as anything obvious to you but acne could be one of the reactions - who knows

- As for supplements, I'd say cholostrum and the omega 369 I mentioned, (low 3 high 6) - I read good things about these

If marks are what's bothering you look into Lactic Acid peel kits from MUAC smile.png I'm waiting for my Glycolic

Thanks for the input, I will look into those a bit more. :)

Edited by theworld

Call your old friends and arrange a holiday lunch or dinner or drinks. Everyone is so busy, I'm sure they'd appreciate someone taking the lead for some fun time. I'm sure they miss you and would be thrilled to hear from you.

Relax. Your life won't really start until you graduate and start your career. That's when things start falling into place. You are in transition. RELAX!

I guess you're right. But I feel like our friendship isn't so close anymore cos it's been ages since we last spoke... maybe like 1 and a half years already. I'm sure they would be glad to see me again, but I just dont know really :I The last time I spoke to one of them, they told me that I was the "glue" that held them together so I'm guessing everyone went their separate ways.

You'll never know unless you try. And from what you're saying here, trying definitely sounds worth the potential "awkwardness."

My social skills have gone to shit as well. I feel uncomfortable just venturing outside my own home.

Please guys, stop suffering... im gonna share with you a secret... the acne cure... just google: Long term micro dose Isotretinoin.... do a lot of research... be aware of the risks(especially for women)... get the pills ... take em and enjoy life. theres a lot of info out there.

look at this:

Low Dose, High Rates of Success

Ultra-low dose isotretinoin is all many acne patients need

San Francisco - Low and ultra-low doses of isotretinoin are an effective therapy for many acne patients. This safer and cheaper solution can even be used continuously.

Gerd Plewig, M.D., believes that the doses of isotretinoin typically used in the United States and Europe are far too high. For many patients, as little as 2.5 mg twice a week, which he describes as "a drop of rain on a dusty road" is adequate.

Dermatologists all over the world already are treating some patients continuously with low doses of isotretinoin, according to Dr. Plewig, director, dermatology and allergy clinic, Ludwig-Maximilian University in Munich.

"When you talk to doctors in this country and other countries of the world, they use 10 mg twice a week or three times a week, which is a low or ultra-low dose. But nobody ever bothered to show and demonstrate that it works," he said. Thus, he and his team performed two clinical trials to assess its efficacy.

Study Spotlights Low Dosing In the first trial, 28 patients with acne conglobata and inflammatory acne took a low dose of isotretinoin: 20 mg/kg, 10 mg/kg, or 0.5 mg/kg body weight daily for six months. In the second study, 11 acne patients took an ultra low dose of isotretinoin: 2.5 mg to 5 mg daily or 2.5 mg twice a week for six months. Both trials involved multiple endpoints, including clinical grading, lesion counts, counts of follicular filaments (believed to be precursors to lesions), bacterial colonization, patients' opinion of seborrhea levels, two objective measurements of sebum levels (Sebutape and Bentonite clay), qualitative assessment of sebum using high power, thin layer chromatography, and biopsies to assess size and configuration of sebaceous glands.

Trials Yield Significant Improvement Results of the first trial in which low doses of isotretinoin were used revealed significant improvements in all parameters tested. Numbers of follicular filaments, and lesions dropped, as did levels of bacteria and sebum. Sebaceous glands shrank, as well.

At the end of the second study, which investigated ultra-low doses of isotretinoin, efficacy was maintained on many of the parameters. There were significant reductions in numbers of active lesions and follicular filaments as well as objective measures of sebum levels. Patients' ratings of seborrhea improved, and levels of P. acnes on the skin diminished.

"The endpoint or the lowest point of a retinoid being effective for the treatment of seborrhea, persistent low grade acne, or maintenance therapy for patients with bad acne probably is around 2.5 mg or 2 mg, or maybe even 1.5 mg," Dr. Plewig said.

The best candidates for low and ultra-low doses isotretinoin therapy, Dr. Plewig said, include patients with severe acne who were controlled with higher doses and require a lower-dose maintenance therapy, individuals whose facial acne has persisted from adolescence into adulthood, and people with sebaceous gland hyperplasia. "Some patients come only because of their oiliness. ... For these patients, I think the low or ultra-low dose is very good, and it's cheap, too," he said.

Severe Patients Still Receive Low Doses Dr. Plewig keeps doses of isotretinoin relatively low in patients with severe acne. "I pretreat patients with severe inflammatory acne with systemic corticosteroids to begin with...about 1 mg/kg body weight for about seven to 14 days, taper it off, and then give an antibiotic, usually an erythromycin, a macrolide," he said. "And then I start with the isotretinoin [0.2 mg/kg to 0.4 mg/kg body weight]. It is so much better. We used to start immediately with isotretinoin or tried antibiotics, but often it takes too long, the patients are miserable, and it is so much better for them because you can have a faster final result, a better final result with cooling down the skin first, then adding your active treatment."

Continuous Use Offers Versatility A great benefit of using lower doses of isotretinoin is that it can be used continuously. There are other important advantages, as well. "In terms of pharmacoeconomics, it is cheaper to use lower doses, it is better tolerated by patients, has fewer side effects, fewer laboratory abnormalities, and of course the patients like it when they have continuous elegant treatment," Dr. Plewig said.

Despite the safer side-effect profile with low-dose isotretinoin, Dr. Plewig emphasized that, at any dose, the drug should still be considered teratogenic and be used with great caution in women of childbearing age.

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatolog...il.jsp?id=65528

Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. G. Plewig

Klinik und Poliklinik ;>für Dermatologie und Allergologie

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Frauenlobstraße 9 – 11

D-80337 München, Germany

Tel.: +49-89-51 60 60 00

Fax: +49-89-51 60 60 02

E-mail: [email protected];derma.med.uni-muenchen.de

Background: Excessive seborrhea, coarse-pored skin, minimal acne and oily scalp hair comprise a well-known clinical entity. It causes considerable concern, has social impact, and affects the quality of life in some individuals. Some patients seek treatment for seborrhea. No effective topical sebosuppressive medication is available. Oral isotretinoin is the only remedy for men. In women, oral isotretinoin is the most effective remedy, followed by antiandrogens.

Patients and methods: Eleven patients in three groups were treated for 6 months with very low dose isotretinoin. The influence on seborrhea was measured during oral treatment with 5 mg/d, 2.5 mg/d, or 2.5 mg 3× weekly.

Results: Sebum production, measured with Sebutape®, was reduced by up to 64 %. Acne lesions regressed by as much as 84 %. Follicular filaments were reduced by 66 %. Microcomedones were reduced on average up to 86 %. Quantitative bacteriology showed a reduction of Propionibacterium acnes but no increase of Staphylococcus epidermidis. Biopsies revealed a 51 % reduction in sebaceous gland size. With Bentonite™, a reduction of lipids was demonstrated with 2.5 and 5 mg isotretinoin/d but not with 2.5 mg 3× weekly. There was a shift within the lipid fractions: triglycerides dominated, followed by squalenes and free fatty acids.

Conclusions: Good results were achieved in all patients. The small number of patients did not permit a statistical analysis of the three isotretinoin doses studied, but there was a tendency toward better results with the two higher doses.

Zusammenfassung