Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aje6890

Should I Start Taking Accutane?

I have had mild and sometime sever acne since I was about 16 and I am 21 now. I have been going to a dermatologist back and forth for about 5 years. Nothing has worked so well for me. Off the top of my head I know that I have tried minocycline, doxycycline, soladyn, Eryththromycin, a sulfer based pill and now my dermatologist just prescribed me azithromycin. For topicals I have tried duac, epiduo, metronidazole, benzaclin, and now veltin. Nothing seems to work well for me. Over the past 2 months I have had a lot of cystic acne( 3-4 at a time) and I am not sure what my next step should be.

My dermatologist suggested that I go on accutane next, but I am a little worried about the side effects, initial breakout, and the fact that it requires a monthly blood test. I was thinking about going to a different dermatologist to get his opinion before I start on Accutuane.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should next? Please help me out!

I have had mild and sometime sever acne since I was about 16 and I am 21 now. I have been going to a dermatologist back and forth for about 5 years. Nothing has worked so well for me. Off the top of my head I know that I have tried minocycline, doxycycline, soladyn, Eryththromycin, a sulfer based pill and now my dermatologist just prescribed me azithromycin. For topicals I have tried duac, epiduo, metronidazole, benzaclin, and now veltin. Nothing seems to work well for me. Over the past 2 months I have had a lot of cystic acne( 3-4 at a time) and I am not sure what my next step should be.

My dermatologist suggested that I go on accutane next, but I am a little worried about the side effects, initial breakout, and the fact that it requires a monthly blood test. I was thinking about going to a different dermatologist to get his opinion before I start on Accutuane.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should next? Please help me out!

I NEVER thought I would say this but No to Accutane. Go get allergy tested for Soybean, wheat, milk, peanut, & egg whites/yolk. Tell the doctor you want IgG & IgE done on ALL of them. In the mean time avoid ALL food & drinks that contain Soy/Soybean. It is very hard to do and it's hard to change your whole eating habbit.

I pretty much have the same resume as you. Got acne when I was 16 and 21 now, and I've cleared up, then broken out again several times. It seemed like an endless cycle and I just about tried every antibiotic out there. I just started accutane about 4 days ago (80mg daily) and so far I've had no real side effects, but I know its still very early.

Personally, I've heard too many success stories, and too few very negative side effects (and by negative I mean like depression, etc...) to wait any longer for accutane. Do what you feel is best, but my choice is accutane and I'm sticking with it.

Edited by blooper111