Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ellinas

So Im Going To The Dermatologist Soon, What Should I Expect?

After a few courses of Doxycycline, my local GP recommended me to a dermatologist. He said that it's no longer hormonal acne. He also said the Derm would likely put me on Accutane (what he said had an "R" in it but it sounded like Accutone). I'm only 18, is it really safe to say it's not hormonal acne? Don't hormones settle at 25? I did start puberty early though ...

Are there any standard procedures these derms do? Tests? Any advice? I'll a littler nervous and anxious smile.png

Thanks

It really depends on the derm, but don't expect too much. They rarely do tests for acne- only when they suspect it's something OTHER than acne. If you get a good one, they'll actually look at your skin up close and ask you a bit of your habits and history. Are you sure your acne requires accutane? How serious is it?

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to subscribe to this thread tongue.png

Callum, that was it :)

akko, I wouldn't call it serious (judging from the 'types of acne' post), it's just nothing seems to work. I think I have a problem of shedding too many skin cells. I just looked at my nose today and noticed that I have blackheads, I wash and change my bed sheets weekly and change my clothes regularly (couple of times a week). I also shower daily and wash my face 2 times a day (with a cleanser and BP facewash)

I've got a mixture of Papules and Pustules on my face, scab-like acne on my chest and god knows what on my back. It may seem like I;m exaggerating with adjectives, my skin appearance is bearable but more of an annoyance more than anything.

I keep getting different opinions from different GP's, glad one of them bit the bullet and recommended me to a dermatologist to figure it out once and for all. I don't think I would of actually booked an appointment with my own devices tongue.png

What's worse is I'm a male who shaves and has sensitive skin. I'm always using two blade razors and use creams labeled for sensitive skin, by the time my skin settles it it seems I need to shave and irritate it again tongue.png. I'm not rough when I shave and I always remember I'm shaving hair not skin.

My appointment is on the 15th at 1pm, will keep you guys update biggrin.png Hopefully they can define the true problem so I can stop with the trial/error approach of the GP's.

I think I'm going onto my 6th year with acne ...

Edited by Ellinas

If you don't mind a little stubble, try using a trimmer instead. Gently shaving shouldn't be a problem though. It even helps exfoliate.

I don't recommend using a cleanser and BP face wash. Use a cleanser and a medicated lotion (at the minimum). You can go all the way and use cleanser, toner, med, moisturizer.

Using two different washes will dry you out and irritate your skin.

Also look into exfoliation. AHA works well. BHA (salycilic acid) are good for acne too.

After a few courses of Doxycycline, my local GP recommended me to a dermatologist. He said that it's no longer hormonal acne. He also said the Derm would likely put me on Accutane (what he said had an "R" in it but it sounded like Accutone). I'm only 18, is it really safe to say it's not hormonal acne? Don't hormones settle at 25? I did start puberty early though ...

Are there any standard procedures these derms do? Tests? Any advice? I'll a littler nervous and anxious smile.png

Thanks

You're right about that hormones settle untill 25. But not always. It's pretty individual,maybe your acne is caused by food allergies ( if so, then u'll probablyhave to change ur entire diet and lifestyle). Before putting u on Accutane ( which is a harsh drug and it might be just a short fix) , they should check your overall health. Acne can be either hormonal, either genetic, either caused by diet. These are the most common causes of acne.

Visiting a derm is a good idea tho. He/she might give u facials or chemical peels every month ( if u can afford paying 50$ for each), prescribe new topicals and etc. You'd have another option (Spiro and BCP) if u were a female,lol. But never give up. Think of a diet, do some research.

P.S The other name of Accutane it Roaccutane I guess.

Edited by amy91

If you don't mind a little stubble, try using a trimmer instead. Gently shaving shouldn't be a problem though. It even helps exfoliate.

Hmm, its stubble now might just keep it as is. I cut my own hair and could use the trimmer without the guard, would that be enough?

I don't recommend using a cleanser and BP face wash. Use a cleanser and a medicated lotion (at the minimum). You can go all the way and use cleanser, toner, med, moisturizer.

Also look into exfoliation. AHA works well. BHA (salycilic acid) are good for acne too.

Thanks, I did notice dryness and irritation, I just thought it was the BP wash. So i should ditch the cleanser and use the BP wash till the derm tells me other or gives me meds?

Hmm, 3 more days :D

Hmm, its stubble now might just keep it as is. I cut my own hair and could use the trimmer without the guard, would that be enough?

Thanks, I did notice dryness and irritation, I just thought it was the BP wash. So i should ditch the cleanser and use the BP wash till the derm tells me other or gives me meds?

Hmm, 3 more days :D

Right. If you have inflammatory acne and your not sensitive to SA (including aspirin). Try a SA wash.

For now just use the bp wash. Is your cleanser medicated?

No the cleane

Hmm, 3 more days biggrin.png