Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ameriwife

Wheat/gluten Breakout?

wheat is good for you, just dont eat anything with added gluten. we need insoluble fiber to take regular bowel movements, wheat is wonderfully great at this. insoluble fiber absorbs water like a sponge to keep a certain amount of water in the stool, the wetter the better, dry poop slows everything down, toxins stay in your body and are reabsorbed.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Do you get the breakouts immidetiately or after couple of days?

Usually within the hour, if not sooner. Depends on how much gluten it is. If I ate gluten directly I think I'd probably die or go into shock honestly... with cross contamination (even eating off a washed plate that had gluten on it at one time) it's within the hour and sadly the reaction lasts about a month.

I was glutened on thanksgiving from cross contamination and am still suffering new cysts every day, mental issues and other bad stuff... hoping and praying it will be over soon. sad.png

So if I don't get new breakouts after eating corn tortillas or rye bread within 3 days, I have no allergies to wheat and gluten? Or it's too soon to decide?

Actually, this is a question about all kinds of food intolerances. When do you know that you're allergic to certain foods? After a day, 3 days, a week?

Edited by amy91

It would help to go to a really simple, "baseline diet" for a while and then test things methodically, one by one, with week or more breaks in between the tests so you can see what develops. Try googling "elimination diet" or something like that. You should be able to find some guidelines of some typically non inflammation/non allergy foods to start with as your baseline.

The problem is, even though some things are not typically allergens (like say, lettuce) the truth is anyone can be allergic to anything. So it's important to figure out what foods to use.

He got our last one with a crossbow. That's my bad ass man! smile.png

/end off topic hehe

That is so freakin cool =]

/oksrslytheendofofftopic

wheat is good for you, just dont eat anything with added gluten. we need insoluble fiber to take regular bowel movements, wheat is wonderfully great at this. insoluble fiber absorbs water like a sponge to keep a certain amount of water in the stool, the wetter the better, dry poop slows everything down, toxins stay in your body and are reabsorbed.

I'd just like to add that unless grains are properly soaked and sprouted, they are high in anti-nutrients which make it difficult to absorb nutrients and is damaging to the gut. Also, check out the fiber menace... animal fat and protein > fiber any day.

The whole wheat/we need tons of fiber mentally is really flawed. People think they need metamucil, tons of whole wheat, etc just to have a bowel movement because their guts are so messed up. A healthy gut doesn't need to be stuffed with fiber in order to have a movement and in fact in some cases loading up on fiber can make things much worse.

Don't buy everything you hear from metamucil and other supplement companies *not to mention, the wheat industry*. They are corporations intending on making money, not supporting your health. I feel for these lies for years, constantly stuffing myself with whole wheat and fiber supplements trying to have a bowel movement (at that time while I was still eating gluten I could only go every 3-4 DAYS... now that I'm gluten free I go 2-3 times PER day and haven't taken a fiber supplement for years).

The whole wheat/we need tons of fiber mentally is really flawed. People think they need metamucil, tons of whole wheat, etc just to have a bowel movement because their guts are so messed up. A healthy gut doesn't need to be stuffed with fiber in order to have a movement and in fact in some cases loading up on fiber can make things much worse.

Don't buy everything you hear from metamucil and other supplement companies *not to mention, the wheat industry*. They are corporations intending on making money, not supporting your health. I feel for these lies for years, constantly stuffing myself with whole wheat and fiber supplements trying to have a bowel movement (at that time while I was still eating gluten I could only go every 3-4 DAYS... now that I'm gluten free I go 2-3 times PER day and haven't taken a fiber supplement for years).

I totally aggree with you. Because of the typical American diet, (fast food, GMOs, inactivity, high fat, HFCS, etc) constipation is a problem all across the board so we need to bulk up on fiber just to manage to go poop maybe once every 2 days. And I can agree with you, that now I've pretty much stopped eating wheat and breads, I go probably once if not twice a day.

Going gluten free is "inconvenient," but like many have said, I feel great. I can eat food and not feel bloated or lethargic or constipated. I am very glad I decided to eliminate most wheat, gluten, soy decision because it causes me to cook at home which is much healthier AND cheaper. I don't waste money at starbucks with all their sugary crap baked goods and drinks. I've

Wow! This topic has had a lot of responses. Thank you all for your comments. One cyst thing is just faintly there but the rest have gone away now. I actually ate pizza on Sunday, and haven't suffered any breakout or digestive issues....But I seemed a little constipated the next day. I actually believe the major reason why I broke out so bad about a month ago was because I was really really stressed around my birthday. I was crying soooo hard and just had an awful time. :(

Anyways, this whole wheat topic is really interesting, and as I've looked into the food industry, I've actually become quite angry at how the FDA and USDA is allowing our food to be processed and made so cheaply.

About the inconvenience thing.... you really go through a detoxification process on this journey and I don't mean physically... it's like you have to detoxify your mindset. I first went gluten free in 2007 and was off and on struggling with it for a year or so before really committing to it and making the changes I had to the following year. (staying clear of restaurants and processed food all together--because I was continually having accidental exposures from cross contamination or hidden ingredients). Other majorly helpful changes (going corn, dairy and soy free) happened later.

It was like a grieving process. I really had to come to terms and accept the fact that yes, life was going to be different. I was never going to be able to order a pizza again, as long as I lived. I was never going out for ice cream, etc etc. And at first because I didn't have a replacement for any of that goodness life seemed empty, hard, and I was angry.....

But then as I went through this detoxification process in my mind everything began to shine with a new light. I began learning amazing recipes like dehydrated grain free bread, vegan ranch dressing (made with cashews because I REALLY missed ranch dressing--used to eat everything with it), raw ice cream, etc. And after awhile I realized that the food I made at home was so much healthier AND yummier than anything I'd get at a restaurant. The "work" or "inconvenience" of making everything for yourself from scratch dissolves after awhile. And you realize that it's not that much more "work" than driving to a restaurant and paying about 5x as much for food that is lesser quality. I actually began to feel LUCKY... especially looking back and tracking my cash and realizing the massive amount of money I save doing things this way.

So... MUCH more money saved + MUCH healthier + TOTAL control of my diet (and I've seen some gross things go down in restaurant kitchens, all food allergy issues aside)= a happier life! It's not a typical life but I feel so blessed to have discovered it.

I'd say that gluten is one of the top things you should be cutting out if you have acne and are new to making diet/lifestyle changes to make it go away. Gluten, dairy, and soy. At least as a basis to start with.

You can always say anything you want, but do you have any evidence to back up such sweeping statements? Dairy I can understand. There's research to back it up. But soy and gluten? For everybody?

I agree that those are good things to try, if you don't want to or have resources to get tested. But if your test doesn't show much benefit then I don't see a point in unnecessarily restricting yourself. Because living without gluten can make your life quite inconvenient.

And just to make it clear, I do restrict my wheat intake. I have bread or pizza occasionally but most days I don't eat any wheat. I've seen repeatedly that wheat is not good for my skin.

Yes, soy and gluten. For EVERYONE. Nobody on this planet benefits from soy or gluten, although I can think of some scenarios in which soy might help acne, but either way it still wouldn't help your overall health.

The "work" or "inconvenience" of making everything for yourself from scratch dissolves after awhile. And you realize that it's not that much more "work" than driving to a restaurant and paying about 5x as much for food that is lesser quality. I actually began to feel LUCKY... especially looking back and tracking my cash and realizing the massive amount of money I save doing things this way.

This was good to read, because I've been sort of missing my previous lifestyle. As I started learning to cook foods on my own, I began to think, "I don't want to do this when I'm hungry", but reading that just made me realize that getting up, driving to the place, waiting in line, paying a lot of money (which definitely adds up when you eat out frequently, or semi-frequently) and driving back takes way more energy than walking to my kitchen, and standing over the oven for a few minutes, really.

Though with my terrible cooking skills, my meals don't taste better than what I used to eat. Haha.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary

I recently stopped eating gluten because I think I have an intolerance to it. A week later I was almost completely clear, and almost two weeks later I am more clear than I have even been. My skin actually looks good.

I really recommend trying it!

I stopped eating pasta over a year ago because I noticed it made my skin very oily, and I'd wake up with a lot of white heads the next morning if I had it for dinner. But I had never completely cut out cereals and bread.

Oatmeal seems to give me gas and bloating, without necessarily causing major breakouts, but I cut it out now too.

I eat fish, meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, the usual good stuff.

Right now I'm trying to add limited quantities of dairy to my diet to see if what I thought was a dairy intolerance was actually related to my gluten intolerance. If it's fine I'll eat a bit of cheese and yogurt here and there, but not much.

Edited by Chocobot

I recently stopped eating gluten because I think I have an intolerance to it. A week later I was almost completely clear, and almost two weeks later I am more clear than I have even been. My skin actually looks good.

I really recommend trying it!

I stopped eating pasta over a year ago because I noticed it made my skin very oily, and I'd wake up with a lot of white heads the next morning if I had it for dinner. But I had never completely cut out cereals and bread.

Oatmeal seems to give me gas and bloating, without necessarily causing major breakouts, but I cut it out now too.

I eat fish, meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, the usual good stuff.

Right now I'm trying to add limited quantities of dairy to my diet to see if what I thought was a dairy intolerance was actually related to my gluten intolerance. If it's fine I'll eat a bit of cheese and yogurt here and there, but not much.

Ya, it's been a gradual thing of cutting out wheat and gluten. It's sooo hard!! Sometimes, I think I am doing good and can resist cookies and desserts, but then I definitely pay for it later. I'm seeing that I don't really break out now from wheat/gluten....but over the last few weeks I've gotten more and more sore. My joints ache!!! My ankles. knees, elbows, wrists, and even my hands are just aching now and feel very weak.

I've allowed myself to eat soooo much wheat products, thinking that if I don't break out than I don't have an intolerance to it.... But my mom gets the inflammation/pain/soreness as well. :( It's just another motivator to completely cut it out of my diet. Maybe I'll make that a goal for next year, since this year I just battled with it off and on.