Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ameriwife

Wheat/gluten Breakout?

Hey guys, I'll skip my whole speel of my acne history and come straight to the point.

So far, my skin is looking awesome (compared to how far I've come this year!). The superficial acne is very minor, and pimples are far in between.

But my question is if the pimple things I get now is from wheat or gluten or another potential allergen. They seem to appear along my jawline and neck, and appear out of nowhere but in relation to things I eat. They don't really have a "head" but are not cysts either, since they can be popped (pus comes out) and go away within a week or less. They aren't really red either or inflamed, but look actually like a wheal or a uticaria welt, which leads me to believe it's an allergy.

I went in for an allergy consult, and to get a skin test (for numerous things) will cost about $700, which I don't have that kind of money :( I've done elimination diets before, including no dairy, no soy, no caffeine, no wheat/gluten, etc. and my skin seems to clear up. I just really want an answer with a skin test, and hopefully next year I will have more money to get it done.

What does a breakout from wheat look like? I'm curious if anyone else found out they were allergic to wheat experienced the same type of "pimples."

P.S. Please spare the comments of all these diets I need to try or supplements I need to take. I'm happy with my regimen and have pretty much eliminated known chemicals and foods that cause my acne.

Well, to my knowledge, there's no specific way you break out that you can attribute to wheat...you just break out...

My big trigger for acne was from wheat. It's worse when there is a large amount of gluten in the wheat, and slightly less worse when gluten isn't an ingredient in the bread. I've heard that gluten can be separated from wheat, and i've heard that wheat and gluten can't be separated...I don't know what's true though. Anyway, maybe you could try sourdough bread in place of other breads to see if it gets any better or worse.

If it were me though, I would avoid wheat as much I could.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary

Hey guys, I'll skip my whole speel of my acne history and come straight to the point.

So far, my skin is looking awesome (compared to how far I've come this year!). The superficial acne is very minor, and pimples are far in between.

But my question is if the pimple things I get now is from wheat or gluten or another potential allergen. They seem to appear along my jawline and neck, and appear out of nowhere but in relation to things I eat. They don't really have a "head" but are not cysts either, since they can be popped (pus comes out) and go away within a week or less. They aren't really red either or inflamed, but look actually like a wheal or a uticaria welt, which leads me to believe it's an allergy.

I went in for an allergy consult, and to get a skin test (for numerous things) will cost about $700, which I don't have that kind of money sad.png I've done elimination diets before, including no dairy, no soy, no caffeine, no wheat/gluten, etc. and my skin seems to clear up. I just really want an answer with a skin test, and hopefully next year I will have more money to get it done.

What does a breakout from wheat look like? I'm curious if anyone else found out they were allergic to wheat experienced the same type of "pimples."

P.S. Please spare the comments of all these diets I need to try or supplements I need to take. I'm happy with my regimen and have pretty much eliminated known chemicals and foods that cause my acne.

I went in for an allergy consult, and to get a skin test (for numerous things) will cost about $700, which I don't have that kind of money sad.png I've done elimination diets before, including no dairy, no soy, no caffeine, no wheat/gluten, etc. and my skin seems to clear up. I just really want an answer with a skin test, and hopefully next year I will have more money to get it done.

Don't you have health insurance? Dx plays a big part in whether yout Ins. carrier will pay for it or not. Using a Dx of Rash works for allergy tests.

For me I get large, VERY painful red cysts from gluten. They spread all over my face, are very deep and sore and sometimes last for weeks. Eventually pus starts to rise to the surface and they become many different whiteheads within the cyst, breaking open over time and draining... after about a month they start to dry up completely and heal, but they leave a scar.

Sorry so graphic and gross but that's what gluten does to me.

edit-- on top of the many other health threatening symptoms I get from it, of course.

Edited by DejaClaireVoyant

@Tunnelvisionary: Yes, things can be wheat free and have gluten in it, but I'm not sure about the gluten free but there's wheat. Anyways, as far as intestinally, sourdough bread is what my digestive system can handle. If I eat wheat bread, my stomach turns into knots and hurts very very bad. :(

@kidego: I have health insurance, but I have a deductible of something like $1,200 which means that for procedures or anything in the year I need to pay up till that amount before the insurance company kicks in. It's just the plan that I'm under with my family. It sucks. Maybe I could venture to see if it could be a prescribed thing- like take pictures of this breakout and show the allergist or something? I was very disappointed that the test wasn't covered by my insurance company.

@DejaClaireVoyant: Thanks so much for the description lol. You basically described what these pimples feel like. Oh there was a new one today on my neck which was sooooo swollen! These aren't just tiny little pimples (cause I get those from time to time)- they are really painful to the touch. It even hurts to turn my head. Ya, they popped today and are draining so I hope that at least they won't be so painful tomorrow! This pretty muc convinces me it's wheat..until I get it confirmed with the allergy test, I'll continue to avoid wheat. I went to the store and bought all gluten free/wheat free foods.

thanks everyone for the comments!!! I greatly appreciate it.

@Tunnelvisionary: Yes, things can be wheat free and have gluten in it, but I'm not sure about the gluten free but there's wheat. Anyways, as far as intestinally, sourdough bread is what my digestive system can handle. If I eat wheat bread, my stomach turns into knots and hurts very very bad. sad.png

@kidego: I have health insurance, but I have a deductible of something like $1,200 which means that for procedures or anything in the year I need to pay up till that amount before the insurance company kicks in. It's just the plan that I'm under with my family. It sucks. Maybe I could venture to see if it could be a prescribed thing- like take pictures of this breakout and show the allergist or something? I was very disappointed that the test wasn't covered by my insurance company.

@DejaClaireVoyant: Thanks so much for the description lol. You basically described what these pimples feel like. Oh there was a new one today on my neck which was sooooo swollen! These aren't just tiny little pimples (cause I get those from time to time)- they are really painful to the touch. It even hurts to turn my head. Ya, they popped today and are draining so I hope that at least they won't be so painful tomorrow! This pretty muc convinces me it's wheat..until I get it confirmed with the allergy test, I'll continue to avoid wheat. I went to the store and bought all gluten free/wheat free foods.

Then save your money and try Soy free. Stick to things you know for sure are Soy free (it's VERY hard) then after 4 days add something Soy. You will know with in 24 hours after eating Soy if you are allergic to it.

Nothing with wheat is gluten free. But something can be wheat free and still have gluten, because there are many types of gluten that don't come from wheat.

Right, I think I knew that. I wasn't sure how something could be gluten free and still have wheat in it :)

@Tunnelvisionary: Yes, things can be wheat free and have gluten in it, but I'm not sure about the gluten free but there's wheat. Anyways, as far as intestinally, sourdough bread is what my digestive system can handle. If I eat wheat bread, my stomach turns into knots and hurts very very bad. sad.png

Then save your money and try Soy free. Stick to things you know for sure are Soy free (it's VERY hard) then after 4 days add something Soy. You will know with in 24 hours after eating Soy if you are allergic to it.

The only soy product I intentionally eat is a low-sodium soy sauce in a stirfry. I don't drink soy milk or eat soy products other than soy sauce. I know there are plenty of gluten free-dairy free breads and such that have soy in them....Is there an alternative to soy sauce?

Be careful. Unless it says otherwise soy sauce HAS WHEAT in it....

Personally I just make my stir fry's without soy sauce, using other asian flavors... they turn out very good. Most of the soy sauce taste is just saltiness anyway, so if you add plenty of sea salt you won't miss it.

Edited by DejaClaireVoyant

Nothing with wheat is gluten free. But something can be wheat free and still have gluten, because there are many types of gluten that don't come from wheat.

Right, I think I knew that. I wasn't sure how something could be gluten free and still have wheat in it smile.png

The only soy product I intentionally eat is a low-sodium soy sauce in a stirfry. I don't drink soy milk or eat soy products other than soy sauce. I know there are plenty of gluten free-dairy free breads and such that have soy in them....Is there an alternative to soy sauce?

Braggs liquid aminos.

Be careful. Unless it says otherwise soy sauce HAS WHEAT in it....

Personally I just make my stir fry's without soy sauce, using other asian flavors... they turn out very good. Most of the soy sauce taste is just saltiness anyway, so if you add plenty of sea salt you won't miss it.

Ya, I didn't realize soy sauce has wheat in it until I saw a brand that had gluten free.... Doh! Well, I don't eat it very often- and your right, there are other flavors I can use in a stirfry! I hope for the time being I can avoid wheat, gluten, and soy. There are so many foods with all of those in them! I have to read the ingredients in everything.

If gluten gives you acne then it's probably inflammatory. For those who are sensitive it can cause quite serious skin inflammation.

That said, I don't think we should make sweeping statements and scare every one with acne off gluten. Going gluten free makes your life really inconvenient.

There's no research on gluten and acne specifically. But there is research on gluten and psoriasis. One study showed that only about 16% of psoriasis patients are sensitive to gluten. For those people going gluten-free helped their skin a lot. But people who were note gluten sensitive got no help from gluten-free diet.

As I said there's no reasearch on gluten and acne, but I suspect the situation is similar to psoriasis. That gluten is an issue for some, but not for everybody.

As far as I know the best way to know is to test for gluten antibodies. This is a blood test, not skin prick test. If you test negative then gluten is probably not an issue for you.

Another way is to just eliminate major sources of gluten from your diet (wheat, rye, barley, etc). Do that for 4 to 6 weeks and see what happens. As to soy sauce and other minor sources of gluten. Probably not an issue for people who don't have celiac disease. It's the dosage that makes the poison.

Here's a good summary of all the research on gluten and skin diseases:

http://www.natural-acne-solution.com/gluten-and-acne.html

Hey thanks Sepsi. I know that not everyone with acne has a problem with gluten. I have had a few friends who all of the sudden broke out with horrible acne everywhere, and it turns out they were allergic to gluten.

The blood test is cheaper than the skin prick test. I'm not sure that I have celiac disease- it seems I would get much more sick. But, I hope to at least get some kind of test done. I thought they resorted to the blood test after the skin test in case it was unclear if there's a true intolerance.

I've eliminated at least wheat from my diet for 4 weeks, and my skin had no cysts or inflammatory spots etc. It wasn't necessarily gluten-free though...

Anyways, thank you for the link!

The thing is that doctors are now starting to realize there's a 'silent' form of celiac disease. These people don't get any noticeable digestive problems after eating wheat. Not sure how that's different from gluten sensitivity, though :) Anyway, if your skin gets better after dropping wheat then that's reason enough to keep it out of your diet?

If gluten gives you acne then it's probably inflammatory. For those who are sensitive it can cause quite serious skin inflammation.

That said, I don't think we should make sweeping statements and scare every one with acne off gluten. Going gluten free makes your life really inconvenient.

There's no research on gluten and acne specifically. But there is research on gluten and psoriasis. One study showed that only about 16% of psoriasis patients are sensitive to gluten. For those people going gluten-free helped their skin a lot. But people who were note gluten sensitive got no help from gluten-free diet.

As I said there's no reasearch on gluten and acne, but I suspect the situation is similar to psoriasis. That gluten is an issue for some, but not for everybody.

As far as I know the best way to know is to test for gluten antibodies. This is a blood test, not skin prick test. If you test negative then gluten is probably not an issue for you.

Another way is to just eliminate major sources of gluten from your diet (wheat, rye, barley, etc). Do that for 4 to 6 weeks and see what happens. As to soy sauce and other minor sources of gluten. Probably not an issue for people who don't have celiac disease. It's the dosage that makes the poison.

Here's a good summary of all the research on gluten and skin diseases:

http://www.natural-a...n-and-acne.html

I'd say that gluten is one of the top things you should be cutting out if you have acne and are new to making diet/lifestyle changes to make it go away. Gluten, dairy, and soy. At least as a basis to start with.

I'd say that gluten is one of the top things you should be cutting out if you have acne and are new to making diet/lifestyle changes to make it go away. Gluten, dairy, and soy. At least as a basis to start with.

You can always say anything you want, but do you have any evidence to back up such sweeping statements? Dairy I can understand. There's research to back it up. But soy and gluten? For everybody?

I agree that those are good things to try, if you don't want to or have resources to get tested. But if your test doesn't show much benefit then I don't see a point in unnecessarily restricting yourself. Because living without gluten can make your life quite inconvenient.

And just to make it clear, I do restrict my wheat intake. I have bread or pizza occasionally but most days I don't eat any wheat. I've seen repeatedly that wheat is not good for my skin.

I've seen repeatedly that wheat is not good for my skin.

Okay...but you still don't think others should be "unnecessarily restricting" themselves? There are plenty of studies indicating how a high glycemic load contribute to acne, you can check out the Acne Diet Connection thread for those ones. As for the gluten, you're absolutely right. Gluten will only cause acne if the individual has some sort of intolerance to it. You're also right in the second part of your statement saying many don't have the resources to get tested. I for one don't currently have health insurance (although I did get some muscle testing done for intolerances and I'm not entirely convinced this method was helpful in its accuracy). But what's the opposite of an intolerance? A tolerance? I tolerate a food that many people, ranging anywhere from diabetes to celiac's disease can experience dire consequences if they eat this same food? There's a reason people develop a resistance to such foods overtime and it's because more often than not, these foods are nutritionally void. That, or the individual has a lot of problems with their gut's flora and so their immune system starts attacking things that they're eating, putting on their skin, or something in their environment as an invader.

You know why corn and wheat products were put in the majority of products you'll find at the supermarket? Convenience. It is convenient for the USDA to subsidize these crops and continue making it cheap for companies to continue using them. Take high fructose corn syrup: your brain doesn't touch it when processing it and the job falls entirely on the liver to assimilate it into your body. What do we normally call that? A toxin? The FDA has it on a list of additives allowed to be consumed. If your brain did do some processing of HFCS, a can of coke would give you the same buzz as a can of beer, ethanol and HFCS have so much in common. It's literally directly contributing to this nation's epidemic of obesity and various other problems. So why won't the USDA or FDA touch it? Because one of the main things other countries want from us is our food products and this continues to generate a lot of money. The FDA would also have to admit it's been making a mistake for the past couple of decades, which will have to happen sooner or later.

It's good you restrict your wheat intake, more people should. More people should also be aware that anything referred to as a Recommended Daily Allowance is not going to provide anything remotely fortifying, nutritionally at least. Profitable for big companies? Absolutely. Don't even get me started on the medical industry, which has been pathetic when it comes to the treating of diseases with medications created to benefit Pharmaceutical Companies. If people stop thinking of themselves as patients and start eating nutritionally dense diets perhaps things will change. Until then, enjoy your (cancer-causing carbohydrates heated at high temperatures, microwaved, nutrient-depleted soil) convenience.

Edited by corgisoulpower

Removing things like wheat and soy is not an unnecessary restriction... they have no value in our lives. Just because we live in a extremely unhealthy society that shoves brainwashing down our throat every day on television commercials and practically every restaurant serves unhealthy toxic food that doesn't mean those things have value. It means our SOCIETY is sick. We shouldn't want to live a "convenient" life in such a sick society. We should want to be an example of how life should actually be.

That's the way I live, anyway. It's ridiculous, this idea of convenience and going with the herd. You can live whatever life you want. Your friends always want to go out for pizza and beer? How about making them some healthy food and serving it to them at home instead? Feeling stressed about the lack of "convenient" food? Why not learn that perhaps food wasn't meant to be "fast" and that there is value in taking your time, slowing down and enjoying the process of creating a meal from scratch.

Be the change you want to see in the world! Sorry for the rant but I see so many people struggling with diet stuff and a lot of it is because they are worried they won't fit in with their friends who eat like trash. It's maddening. Have the strength to be different and be proud to live a life that most lazy people would consider inconvenient.

(rant wasn't directed at you personally sepsi, but some of your thoughts triggered my thought process) :)

Removing things like wheat and soy is not an unnecessary restriction... they have no value in our lives. Just because we live in a extremely unhealthy society that shoves brainwashing down our throat every day on television commercials and practically every restaurant serves unhealthy toxic food that doesn't mean those things have value. It means our SOCIETY is sick. We shouldn't want to live a "convenient" life in such a sick society. We should want to be an example of how life should actually be.

That's the way I live, anyway. It's ridiculous, this idea of convenience and going with the herd. You can live whatever life you want. Your friends always want to go out for pizza and beer? How about making them some healthy food and serving it to them at home instead? Feeling stressed about the lack of "convenient" food? Why not learn that perhaps food wasn't meant to be "fast" and that there is value in taking your time, slowing down and enjoying the process of creating a meal from scratch.

Be the change you want to see in the world! Sorry for the rant but I see so many people struggling with diet stuff and a lot of it is because they are worried they won't fit in with their friends who eat like trash. It's maddening. Have the strength to be different and be proud to live a life that most lazy people would consider inconvenient.

(rant wasn't directed at you personally sepsi, but some of your thoughts triggered my thought process) smile.png

<3

This.

Why not learn that perhaps food wasn't meant to be "fast" and that there is value in taking your time, slowing down and enjoying the process of creating a meal from scratch.smile.png

Srsly, have you ever tried to catch your own chicken dinner? Those birds are fast.

:D heh not to take away from the awesome simplicity that is your post. I'm so tired of everyone judging me for what I eat ::sigh::

For me I get large, VERY painful red cysts from gluten. They spread all over my face, are very deep and sore and sometimes last for weeks. Eventually pus starts to rise to the surface and they become many different whiteheads within the cyst, breaking open over time and draining... after about a month they start to dry up completely and heal, but they leave a scar.

edit-- on top of the many other health threatening symptoms I get from it, of course.

Do you get the breakouts immidetiately or after couple of days?

Do you get the breakouts immidetiately or after couple of days?

Usually within the hour, if not sooner. Depends on how much gluten it is. If I ate gluten directly I think I'd probably die or go into shock honestly... with cross contamination (even eating off a washed plate that had gluten on it at one time) it's within the hour and sadly the reaction lasts about a month.

I was glutened on thanksgiving from cross contamination and am still suffering new cysts every day, mental issues and other bad stuff... hoping and praying it will be over soon. :(

Why not learn that perhaps food wasn't meant to be "fast" and that there is value in taking your time, slowing down and enjoying the process of creating a meal from scratch.smile.png

Srsly, have you ever tried to catch your own chicken dinner? Those birds are fast.

biggrin.png heh not to take away from the awesome simplicity that is your post. I'm so tired of everyone judging me for what I eat ::sigh::

Yeah my boyfriend hunts for our meat... I can't do it, too sensitive. :(