Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
takenick

My Results With Bha And Other Remedies, Etc. Any Advice?

I've been using Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel in the shower for a couple years. I lightly exfoliate on wet skin for :30 then rinse off. It keeps my skin clearer and less dry/flaky than it would normally be, and softer. It also might help fade red marks faster. It's a staple for me. My main acne problem now is blackheads on my nose and upper cheeks. I decided to use 2% BHA Liquid on my nose every night (leave-on) to see if it would get rid of them. Within a few days it seemed like they were lighter. After 2 months I wasn't sure if there was any improvement since then, but figured it couldn't hurt to keep using it. I also decided to start using it each night on my right cheek to compare to the left after some time. I used it on my right cheek for 3 months (stopped last week) and am continuing to use it on my nose. I saw no improvement on my right cheek from the BHA. My left cheek looks better. So BHA either did nothing or made my blackheads WORSE, when it's supposedly meant to get rid of them. When I stopped using it on my cheek I broke out in that area the next day then it went away. I guess my skin became dependent on it. Looking in a magnified mirror now, it actually made my pores bigger on that cheek.

I haven't posted here in a while so I want to update some other changes to my regimen, not really related to blackheads:

-5-6 months ago I stopped using 33% organic ACV/water as a toner. My face became less blotchy/red/acne-prone. Don't use this. It does nothing good.

-3 months ago I started using Elta MD SPF 46 UV Clear as my sunscreen. At first I thought it gave me some little red pimples. It might have but it definitely doesn't now. It's the best sunscreen I've used. I'm not sure if the niacinimide does anything for redness. It might. Pros: It makes my face look a little lighter and more even toned (good because I don't wear make-up). Cons: It also makes it a little shiny, not as bad as any other sunscreen I've used though. The previous one I used was Neutrogena Ultra Sheer which I think made my face oily and contributed to acne, but was the best sunscreen I had used up to that point.

-3 months ago I started using Image Total Resurfacing Masque, once a week. It is glycolic, salicylic, and lactic acid I believe, with some micro exfoliant particles. Leave it on for 30 minutes then exfoliate and rinse off. Pros: It made my skin smoother and lighter. I noticed surprising results after using it a few times. I looked in that one mirror in the house in which the lighting makes my skin look terrible and it didn't look too bad. Cons: Unfortunately it does purge me of some small red bumps and a few small whiteheads the next 1-2 days, everytime I use it (I've used it about 10 times). They go away quickly and my skin ultimately looks better. It also makes my face look shiny and slightly red the following 2 days, not as bad as you would from a facial though.

-4 months ago I started using finasteride for hair loss. A lot of people say it breaks you out at first then makes your skin clear up. It broke me out at first but it didn't give me clear skin. I think the whiteheads I get today are smaller than they used to be though. My face might be producing less oil.

I hope this info helped some people.

Right now I'm considering getting a complexion brush to exfoliate the skin on my nose. I'm not willing to pay $100 for a Clarisonic. I also think I need a clay mask, but the ones I've used in the past either did nothing or broke me out.

Any suggestions on what to do for my blackheads?

I had to update my sig. tinydan.gif

Edited by takenick

I found that glycolic acid helps with blackheads. I've gotten 20% strength off ebay and I think it really helps.

I found that glycolic acid helps with blackheads. I've gotten 20% strength off ebay and I think it really helps.

Did you use salicylic and find it ineffective? I have 10% glycolic liquid which I used to use once a week and it helped with skin tone and breakouts. How often do you use it?

Edited by takenick

I just recently got the 20% salicylic acid in the mail. Haven't tried it yet. I've heard that it was better for acne. The milder stuff in many products I've tried did nothing for me. I will post back after I give it a try.

I use the 20% glycolic acid twice a week. GREAT exfoliator. 10% is rather weak... at least for me.

I'm starting to use the 10% glycolic twice a week on my nose, and using 2% BHA on other nights.

I guess they're mostly "sebaceous filaments" instead of blackheads but I need to get rid of them.

Edited by takenick