Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikey77

Oil Cleansing Method - How Often?

I tried searching the oil cleansing method thread and Googling, but there seem to be different opinions on how often you should you the OCM. I have been using it every other day for the past few days, and on the days I am not using it I only cleanse with water. What I have found is that I am more likely to get a new pimple after a day when I have cleansed with water, so I am thinking it might make sense to do the oil cleansing method everyday.

The only issue I have is that I find it takes quite a bit of massaging the skin to get the oil off, and this is quite hard on the skin. I am using upward strokes after seeing that suggestion in a blog, and find it works well. Maybe I could try doing that with less pressure, but I am removing the oil by massaging with my fingers, and don't want to risk leaving too much oil on the skin.

I am using 60% castor, 20% grapeseed, 20% Jojoba, and some tea tree oil - as recommended in the original thread. Extra virgin olive oil is lovely to rub into my hands, but I'm not sure about putting it on my face unless the current combination I am using turns out to be causing pimples - which I don't think it is, although I can't be sure.

In reality, it's extremely difficult to cleanse with OCM because, although the oil you're cleansing with can dissolve skin sebum easier, water can't dissolve the oil you're cleansing with. That's where traditional foaming cleansers have the advantage: soaps and detergents have emulsifying properties that allow dissolving of both hydrophobic and hydrophilic substances. However, soap/detergents are very harsh, so OCM seems to be the next step for most people. Regardless, you are still without helpful emulsifiers to assist dissolving oil in water.

As an alternative, many people find steaming to be effective. Do you use a hot washcloth and wipe off? The steam from the washcloth can lessen the oil's adhesion, allowing the oil to be wiped away. The problem with steaming, however, is that it's drying.

Oh, and, how often you cleanse is completely individual. Still, I'd recommend you cleanse every day. For some reason, acne-prone skin doesn't do too well with a weekly wash or alternating-day regimen. At least once a day, preferably before bed.

Edited by Vanbelle

Thanks. I'll try every evening. I want to get away from chemical products if I can as I find my skin doesn't like them and it makes it slower to heal marks left by old pimples. I use a hot wash cloth, but I don't wipe with it. I put it against my face and then take it away and wipe upwards with my fingers. I then wash my hands and do that process again and again until I can feel the oil is not so thick on the skin. That gets the oil away, but leaves the skin a bit red.

I'm beginning to think a lot of this is about finding out what works for you and that it is a lot of trial and error. My skin looks pretty bad while I am using an oil-free moisturiser so if I can leave some oil on my skin without blocking pores then that's good. I read that the oils I' using are non-comedogenic too, but again it is something I will have to find out as I go along.

Thanks. I'll try every evening. I want to get away from chemical products if I can as I find my skin doesn't like them and it makes it slower to heal marks left by old pimples. I use a hot wash cloth, but I don't wipe with it. I put it against my face and then take it away and wipe upwards with my fingers. I then wash my hands and do that process again and again until I can feel the oil is not so thick on the skin. That gets the oil away, but leaves the skin a bit red.

I'm beginning to think a lot of this is about finding out what works for you and that it is a lot of trial and error. My skin looks pretty bad while I am using an oil-free moisturiser so if I can leave some oil on my skin without blocking pores then that's good. I read that the oils I' using are non-comedogenic too, but again it is something I will have to find out as I go along.

It absolutely IS trial and error; the only problem can be the confounding variables. If you really want to know if OCM works for you, it's important to stick to a consistent regimen and only make the slightest modifications. It's also an even wiser idea to cleanse with oils you wouldn't mind if any residual oil was left on the skin. Oils are great moisturizers anyway, and shouldn't be harmful. If you fear the oils clogging your pores in such tiny amounts as what would be left over after cleansing, then you shouldn't be cleansing with that oil in the first place. Logical enough right?

I should also add that, back when cleansers weren't as efficient at cleaning, toning was first invented to clean off any excess residue. This extends to OCM as well. As double checking your bases, you could tone with any number of natural products. Vinegars are usually the first bet: apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, coconut vinegar, etc. You could also try fresh squeezed lemon diluted to 25% in water.

I also warn people about other issues with the oil cleansing method. Many companies old for cheap methods of extraction and processing. It's very important you trust the brand you're buying, let alone the type of oil itself.

Hope this helps. :)

Are you talking about a mud pack? If so at what stage do you think it should be used - before or after OCM? As Vanbelle says there are a lot of variables and I am thinking that if I start using mud packs and then break out I might not know what is causing the pimples.

Steaming might be a good idea too, but I haven't done that for months and am not sure how it would blend in with the OCM.

Edited to add: Oh, I am using grapeseed oil. Isn't this an oil that exfoliates??

Edited by mikey77

I'm fairly new to OCM but it's definitely working for me. I can honestly say it's the best treatment I've tried (I've been around the block and back) and I just regret I haven't tried it sooner.

I use an 80/20 EVOO and Tea Tree Oil blend, morning and night. The thing with OCM is that you shouldn't be striving to rinse off ALL the oil, so don't worry if there's a "film" lingering on your face afterward. Remember, the oils are replenishing and naturally moisturizing your face. You don't want a stripped, squeaky clean feeling after an oil cleanse. Any residual oil on your face is absolutely okay and is beneficial. Over time you'll get used to the feeling and your skin will improve daily.

My main advice, get used to the oily nature of OCM and don't expect a squeaky clean feeling. Learn to view the oils as a rich, healthy serum for your facial skin and not like you're slathering on cooking grease.